Matt. 6:10 "on earth as it is in heaven"

Status
Not open for further replies.

moselle

Puritan Board Freshman
10your kingdom come,
your will be done
on earth as it is in heaven. (NIV)

I apologize if this has been discussed ad nauseum (I searched the board, really!)

I have heard an interpretation of this passage as meaning something to the effect of "your will be done on earth in the same manner (with joy, thanksgiving, obedience, etc) as it is done in heaven.

The reason I remember being given is that of course God's will is going to be done on earth - but we can pray that God will cause us to love His will on this earth as we obey Him.

Clear as mud? Any comments on this interpretation? How does "your kingdom come" fit in?

My nontheological background interpretation of this has broadened as I have come to understand reformed theology.

The invisible Kingdom of Christ is being made visible through His Church, and it is in that sense, that we are praying for His Kingdom will come... that the kingdoms of this world will become of the Kingdoms of our God, and of His Christ, forever, and ever.

My nontheological background interpretation of this has broadened as I have come to understand reformed theology.

The invisible Kingdom of Christ is being made visible through His Church, and it is in that sense, that we are praying for His Kingdom will come... that the kingdoms of this world will become of the Kingdoms of our God, and of His Christ, forever, and ever.

To piggyback on Scott's post, here is our Catechism's teaching on the matter:

Q. 191. What do we pray for in the second petition?

A. In the second petition, (which is, Thy kingdom come,[1222]) acknowledging ourselves and all mankind to be by nature under the dominion of sin and Satan,[1223] we pray, that the kingdom of sin and Satan may be destroyed,[1224] the gospel propagated throughout the world,[1225] the Jews called,[1226] the fullness of the Gentiles brought in;[1227] the church furnished with all gospel-officers and ordinances,[1228] purged from corruption,[1229] countenanced and maintained by the civil magistrate:[1230] that the ordinances of Christ may be purely dispensed, and made effectual to the converting of those that are yet in their sins, and the confirming, comforting, and building up of those that are already converted:[1231] that Christ would rule in our hearts here,[1232] and hasten the time of his second coming, and our reigning with him forever:[1233] and that he would be pleased so to exercise the kingdom of his power in all the world, as may best conduce to these ends.[1234]

Q. 192. What do we pray for in the third petition?

A. In the third petition, (which is, Thy will be done in earth as it is in heaven,[1235]) acknowledging, that by nature we and all men are not only utterly unable and unwilling to know and do the will of God,[1236] but prone to rebel against his Word,[1237] to repine and murmur against his providence,[1238] and wholly inclined to do the will of the flesh, and of the devil:[1239] we pray, that God would by his Spirit take away from ourselves and others all blindness,[1240] weakness,[1241] indisposedness,[1242] and perverseness of heart;[1243] and by his grace make us able and willing to know, do, and submit to his will in all things,[1244] with the like humility,[1245] cheerfulness,[1246] faithfulness,[1247] diligence,[1248] zeal,[1249] sincerity,[1250] and constancy,[1251] as the angels do in heaven.[1252]

A good place to start would be here, and to review the passages they list:

Westminster Larger Catechism

(see section Q.151-196, and the pertinent references).

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back