Matthew 16:19

Status
Not open for further replies.

INsearch

Puritan Board Freshman
I was wondering what the basic protestant interpretation of this verse would be?
Matt 16:19 said:
I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[e] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[f] loosed in heaven.
I'm scrambling my brain over this :p

Keys of the Kingdom of Heaven

Joshua, here is the Reformed interpretation of the text.

Heidelberg Catechism

Lord's Day 31

83. What are the keys of the kingdom of heaven?
The Preaching of the Holy Gospel and Church Discipline. By these two the kingdom of heaven is opened to believers and closed to unbelievers.1
1 Mt 16:19; Jn 20:21-23

84. How is the kingdom of heaven opened and closed by the preaching of the holy Gospel?
In this way: that according to the command of Christ, it is proclaimed and openly witnessed to believers, one and all, that as often as they accept with true faith the promise of the Gospel, all their sins are really forgiven them of God for the sake of Christ’s merits; and on the contrary, to all unbelievers and hypocrites, that the wrath of God and eternal condemnation abide on them, so long as they are not converted; according to which witness of the Gospel, will be the judgment of God both in this life and in that which is to come.1
1 Mt 16:19; Jn 3:31-36, 20:21-23

85. How is the kingdom of heaven closed opened by Church discipline?
In this way: that according to the command of Christ, if any under the Christian name show themselves unsound either in doctrine or life, and after repeated brotherly admonition refuse to turn from their errors of evil ways, they are complained of to the Church or to its proper officers, and, if they neglect to hear them also, are by them excluded from the holy sacraments and the Christian communion, and by God Himself from the kingdom of Christ;1 and if they promise and show real amendment, they are again received as members of Christ and His Church.2
1 Mt 18:15-20; 1 Cor 5:3-5, 11-13; 2 Thes 3:14-15; 2 Lk 15:20-24; 2 Cor 2:6-11

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back