Matthew 24 -- Postmil vs Amil

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwink

Puritan Board Sophomore
Regarding the interpretation of Matthew 24 (Olivet Discourse), are the Postmil and Amil interpretations the same? If not, on what points do they differ?

Thank you for the recommendation, Benjamin. I actually have been reading that book recently and finding Kik's argument convincing, so I am curious if there is much difference between the Postmil and Amil interpretation of Matthew 24 (and if so, on what points they differ).

Regarding the interpretation of Matthew 24 (Olivet Discourse), are the Postmil and Amil interpretations the same? If not, on what points do they differ?

The differences are not so much between amil, premil and postmil on Matthew 24, the Olivet Discourse, but between, as Joel says, futurist and partial preterist interpretations.

Many premillennialists and particularly dispensational premillennialists will place the whole of the Olivet Discourse (Matthew 24 and 25, and parallel passages) in the (sometimes near) future.

Many amils and postmils would place at least Matthew 24:1-35 in the first century, concerning the signs on earth that the Son of Man had approached His Father's throne and had received the Kingdom.

I saw in the night visions, and behold, with the clouds of heaven there came one like a son of man, and he came to the Ancient of Days and was presented before him. And to him was given dominion and glory and a kingdom, that all peoples, nations, and languages should serve him; his dominion is an everlasting dominion, which shall not pass away, and his kingdom one that shall not be destroyed. (Daniel 7:13-14, ESV)

On the other hand Matthew 24:36 - 25:46 is about the Second Advent and accompanying Eschaton (Last Day).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back