Matthew 5:32

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaylorOtwell

Puritan Board Junior
But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

What is Jesus saying here? It seems to me that he is saying that anyone who fits into the category of a divorced woman may not be married again; however, I know others have differing interpretations.

Who exactly is this divorced woman that nobody can marry without committing adultery?

What other types of divorce situations are there besides adultery and desertion by an unbeliever. Desertion by an unbeliever seems to cover any situation...?

Well, I believe differently then what is stated so far... I believe the only divorce that is allowed is "Adultery", which if we lived in a biblical state then the adulterer is punished and so remarriage is possible after the death of the adulterer...

I do not believe in the desertion clause for divorce....

Now in the case of desertion or abuse or other problems I believe the biblical understanding is separation for a time or longer without divorce is the answer and to reconcile when possible..

What about when a husband abuses his wife? Putting heatlh in danger.

What about when a husband abuses his wife? Putting heatlh in danger.
Ideally? The Church leadership gets involved. If I'm not mistaken, and I think Bahnsen took this view, some say that continued physical abuse is a form of abandonment. I don't know if I think that, but I'm just a peon.

I remember Bahnsen saying that. That is tentatively my view at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back