Matthew Henry on relieving someone in need due to their faults

Status
Not open for further replies.

chuckd

Puritan Board Junior
Commentary on Matt. 16:8

He would have them to depend upon him for supply, though it were in a wilderness, and not to disquiet themselves with anxious thoughts about it. Note, Though Christ’s disciples be brought into wants and straits, through their own carelessness and incogitancy, yet he encourages them to trust in him for relief. We must not therefore use this as an excuse for our want of charity to those who are really poor, that they should have minded their own affairs better, and then they would not have been in need. It may be so, but they must not therefore be left to starve when they are in need.

I think about this subject frequently. Living in SF, the panhandling is quite extreme. Seemingly mostly by addicts and the mentally ill/possessed.

They may have made many sinful decisions to lead to their condition, but they cannot go back in time.

However, giving to them in their estate, in my opinion, just furthers their condition. Enabling is the word.

He who will not work, will not eat. But he who cannot work? Even if it's his own fault that he is too damaged to work anymore? How can I always judge fault, anyway. Many may have been subjected to abuses and neglects so extreme that they lost their ability to be rational. Who knows.

So we have to apply biblical principles, are they refusing to work or are they unable to? Not easily discerned by a passing encounter.

When I was at the port authority in New York City I was looking how to get to my bus. A little man asked if I needed help. I tried to discourage him but said he wanted to help me. Well he did help me and took me to where I needed to be. I forget the reason why but I only had two dollars handy. I gave it to him and apologized saying I’m sorry it’s only two dollars. He replied with such a soft and thankful voice and said “to me it’s like two thousand dollars” ugh I will never forget that just the way he said it made my heart to go out to him.

Commentary on Matt. 16:8

He would have them to depend upon him for supply, though it were in a wilderness, and not to disquiet themselves with anxious thoughts about it. Note, Though Christ’s disciples be brought into wants and straits, through their own carelessness and incogitancy, yet he encourages them to trust in him for relief. We must not therefore use this as an excuse for our want of charity to those who are really poor, that they should have minded their own affairs better, and then they would not have been in need. It may be so, but they must not therefore be left to starve when they are in need.
Right. Only One has minded His affairs as He should.

We read in Psalm 41:1 that “blessed is he that considereth the poor” In light of the original Hebrew, we could paraphrase this as follows: Blessed is he who deals circumspectly or wisely with those who are in need.
Many are the miseries to which humanity is subjected due to sin. Though there are many who treat needy individuals as the priest and Levite treated the proverbial Samaritan, yet, but the grace of God, there are some who do take the plight of needy individuals to heart and who are committed to do whatever they can to resolve the needs of those who suffer — or, if that is not possible, to alleviate their suffering.

From the book “Overcoming Spiritual Depression by Arie Elshout”Reformation Heritage Books

I've been panhandled enough times to know what's up: when someone hits me up for money for food, I offer to go shopping with them and buy what they need; or to buy them a meal with me at a restaurant--they usually refuse, though I would have spent far more than the fiver they were hoping for.
When people hit up the church for money, the deacons will give them a grocery store gift card after they attend a service. Sometimes they have given cash, but they inquire closely into the circumstances. I believe we can be wise and generous in our giving, and that it's better err on the side of enabling than stinginess when there's little information, but there's easy ways of weeding out most of the scammers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back