Matthew Mead on the evil of duelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
The next Sin we shall take notice of, is Murder; which surely, if any, hath a crying voice. Abel’s blood soon wrought Heaven with its cry for vengeance. And how many Murders have we daily heard of, committed amongst us? How common is it grown for the Gallants of our times, to Sacrifice one another Lives to their Lusts, to their Passion, or their Pride? And I wish that the impunity of some, may not have encouraged others. Is it not time then for God to take the Sword into his own hand, and let his audacious Creatures know, that their Lives they are so prodigal of are his, and at his disposure? And if they value them at no higher rates, they have no reason to complain if they are taken away, since they knew no better what to do with them. If indeed they are so weary of the world, they shall stay no longer in it.

And here especially, let me bring to remembrance that Heathenish practice of Duelling; which of late is grown so much in fashion, that none must pass for a Gentleman, but he who dare murder his brother; and to be an Hector, is more commendable than a Christian. The Example and Precepts of that pattern, and Master of Meekness the Holy Jesus, the very mention of them is little less than ridiculous to our Brave Fellows. ...

For more, see Matthew Mead on the evil of duelling.

And here especially, let me bring to remembrance that Heathenish practice of Duelling; which of late is grown so much in fashion, that none must pass for a Gentleman, but he who dare murder his brother; and to be an Hector, is more commendable than a Christian. The Example and Precepts of that pattern, and Master of Meekness the Holy Jesus, the very mention of them is little less than ridiculous to our Brave Fellows.

Main takeaway: Better to hire a professional assassin, especially if you think you might be a bad shot! Heh. (I kid, I kid.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back