Matthew Poole and the Book of Exodus

Status
Not open for further replies.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Junior
I am just beginning a revision of the translation of Matthew Poole's Synopsis on the Book of Exodus.

The studies will be organized on the class page here.

The first installment is here.

You are all cordially invited to follow along and to participate. New lessons will be posted on the class page on an almost daily basis. The very best portions I will post in this thread.

May the Lord Jesus bless the study, drawing us closer to Himself.

The genealogies in the Bible are frequently neglected. We just don't know what to do with them.

The Book of Exodus begins with a brief genealogy; and when we come across the genealogical records of the people of God, we can at least take away this sweet application, that, although God is infinitely exalted above the highest heavens, He condescends and takes note of each of us by name.

https://www.fromreformationtoreformation.com/blog/exodus-1-1-5-descent-of-the-hebrews-into-egypt

People are more than just the last problem that you had with them.

When you are facing difficulty in a relationship, try to remember in gratitude all that that person has been to you and has done for you. It is amazing how a grateful remembrance of past benefits can "cover a multitude of sins".

On the other hand, behold how destructive an ungrateful forgetfulness can be...

https://www.fromreformationtoreformation.com/blog/exodus-1-8-an-ungrateful-forgetfulness

Moses comes to faith in the Christ.

https://www.fromreformationtoreform...Jesus-Christ-and-to-the-deliverance-of-israel

Charles Hodge's Systematic Theology: 'In Exodus 3 we have the account of the revelation of God to Moses on Mount Horeb. "The angel of the LORD," it is said, "appeared unto him in a flame of fire out of the midst of a bush." And Moses turned to see this great sight, "and when Jehovah saw that he turned aside to see, God called unto him, out of the midst of the bush ... and said, Draw not nigh hither: put off thy shoes from off thy feet, for the place whereon thou standest is holy ground. Moreover he said, I am the God of thy father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob. And Moses hid his face; for he was afraid to look upon God." Here the angel of Jehovah is identical with Jehovah, and is declared to be the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. The personal distinction between Jehovah and the angel of Jehovah (i.e., between the Father and the Son, as these persons are elsewhere, and usually in the later Scriptures, designated), is clearly presented in Exodus 23:20, where it is said, "Behold, I send an angel before thee, to keep thee in the way, and to bring thee into the place which I have prepared. Beware of him, and obey his voice, provoke him not; for he will not pardon your transgressions: for my name is in him." The last phrase is equivalent to, "I am in him." By the name of God, is often meant God himself as manifested. Thus it is said of the temple, 1 Kings 8:29, "My name shall be there," i.e., "There will I dwell." As in the New Testament the Father is said to send the Son, and to be in Him; so here Jehovah is said to send the angel of Jehovah and to be in him. And as the Son of Man had power on earth to forgive sin, so the angel of Jehovah had authority to forgive or punish at his pleasure. Michaelis, in his marginal annotations to his edition of the Hebrew Bible, says in reference to this passage (Exodus 23:20), "Bechai ex Kabbala docet, hunc angelum non esse ex numero creatorum existentium extra Dei essentiam, sed ex emanationibus, quae intra Dei essentiam subsistunt, sic in Tanchuma explicari, quod sit Metatron, Princeps faciei, John 6:46." That the angel of Jehovah is a divine person, is further manifest from the account given in Exod 32 and 33 of what God said to Moses after the people had sinned in worshipping the golden calf. In punishment of that offence God threatened no longer personally to attend the people. In consequence of this manifestation of the divine displeasure the whole congregation were assembled before the door of the Tabernacle, and humbled themselves before God. And Jehovah descended and spake unto Moses face to face as a man speaketh unto his friend. And Moses interceded for the people and said, If thy presence go not with us carry us not up hence. And Jehovah said, My presence (i.e., I myself) shall go with thee and I will give thee rest. This shows that a divine person, Jehovah, had previously guided the people, and that on their repentance, He promised to continue with them. This person, called the angel of Jehovah, Jehovah himself, is in Isa lxiii. 9, called "the angel of the face of Jehovah," i.e., the angel or the messenger, who is the image of God. It can hardly be doubted, therefore, that this angel was the Son of God, sent by Him and therefore called his angel; who in Isa lxiii. is designated as the Saviour of Israel and the Redeemer of Jacob; who came to reveal God, as He was the brightness of his glory and the express image of his person, in whom was his name, or, as it is expressed in the New Testament, the fulness of the Godhead; who in the fulness of time, for us men and for our salvation, became flesh, and revealed his glory as the only begotten Son full of grace and truth.

In subsequent periods of the history of God's people this same divine person appears as the leader and God of Israel. He manifested himself to Joshua (Joshus 5:14) as "Prince of the host of the Lord"; to Gideon (Judges 6:11), as the angel of Jehovah, and spake to him, saying, i.e., Jehovah said to him, Go in this thy might and thou shalt save Israel from the hand of the Midianites. In Judges 6:16 it is again said, "Jehovah said unto him surely I will be with thee, and thou shalt smite the Midianites as one man." When Gideon became aware who it was that spoke to him he exclaimed, "Alas, O Lord God, for because I have seen the angel of Jehovah face to face. And Jehovah said unto him, Peace be unto thee; fear not: thou shalt not die." The same angel appeared to Manoah and promised him a son, and revealed himself as he had done to Gideon by causing fire to issue from a rock and consume the sacrifice which had been placed upon it. When Manoah knew that it was the angel of Jehovah, he said unto his wife, "We shall surely die, because we have seen God."'

https://www.fromreformationtoreform...-outline-moses-face-to-face-with-Jesus-Christ

Who is the Angel in the Burning Bush?

https://www.fromreformationtoreform...n-exodus-3-2-Jesus-Christ-in-the-burning-bush

A different sort of lesson today...

It is easy to read past things in the Scripture, unfamiliar names, places, monuments, etc.

I think that this has happened with respect to the lists of the Canaanite nations that were devoted to dispossession and destruction before the Israelites. Who were these people groups? And what lessons can we learn from them, and from their sad end?

A few years ago, I elaborated upon these things in a series of sermons on "The Devoted Nations". You can find them in the "Comments".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back