Matthew Poole commentary questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Good day, brethren. I am getting ready to be isolated deep in the Rocky Mountains for a week. The space for books is slightly limited. I can't haul John Gill's massive six volumes and Calvin's 22 volumes around the mountains, I was thinking of taking Poole's commentary or possibly Matthew Henry. I ashamedly haven't spent as much time with Poole as other commentators. I have a few questions.
First, has anyone come across any quirks in his expositions or some particular instances you didn't agree with him? I personally have not in my limited dealings with him.

Secondly, I know he wasn't able to finish his "Annotations" as he did with his "Synopsis" and others finished the following parts:

Isaiah 59-60 – John Jackson
  • Isaiah 61-66, Jeremiah, Lamentations, Gospels, 1 and 2 Corinthians, Galatians, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus, Philemon, Revelation – Dr. John Collinges
  • Ezekiel, Minor Prophets – Henry Hurst
  • Daniel – William Cooper
  • Acts – Peter Vinke
  • Romans – Richard Mayo
  • Ephesians, James, 1 and 2 Peter – Edward Veale
  • 1 and 2 Thessalonians – Matthew Barker
  • Philippians, Colossians – Richard Adams
  • Hebrews – Obadiah Hughes
  • 1, 2 and 3 John – John Howe"
Did these individuals compile the commentary on these parts from his notes, as was the case with Henry, or did they voice their own expositions? If so, is there any noticeable differences of quality in their expositions versus his? Hopefully this makes sense. If not, I'll try to clarify it further upon request.

Last edited:
The space for books is slightly limited. I can't haul John Gill's massive six volumes and Calvin's 22 volumes around the mountains...

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but this right here is perhaps the main reason I sold most of my physical multi-volume works and got them in Logos. ;)

I know this isn't an answer to your question, but this right here is perhaps the main reason I sold most of my physical multi-volume works and got them in Logos. ;)
I respect that decision if that works best for you. For me, I favor tangible books. I struggle reading for extended periods on a screen. Plus, the blue light from screens are not doing people favors towards their mental health. I try to keep my screen time limited. Although, I do recognize the usefulness of having a digitized library for quick reference and portability. My pastor just gave me the "Puritan Bookshelf" and "The Reformation Bookshelf" on cds. Those, will get some use.

http://www.mentalhealthamerica.net/blog/how-blue-light-affects-mental-health

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/blue-light-has-a-dark-side

Last edited:
I respect that decision if that works best for you. For me, I favor tangible books. I struggle reading for extended periods on a screen. Plus, the blue light from screens are not doing people favors towards their mental health. I keep my screen time very limited. Although, I do recognize the usefulness of having a digitized library for quick reference and portability. My pastor just gave me the "Puritan Bookshelf" and "The Reformation Bookshelf" on cds. Those, will get some use.

It was a difficult decision, for sure, as I love tangible books, as well. However, the size difference and the searching function are what tipped me over the edge.

Regarding the issues with blue light, there are programs now that mitigate that damage. On desktop, you can get f.lux, which warms the screen colors in the evening and even more so at night. All newer iOS devices now have "Night Shift," which does the same thing. I have mine set to be activated perpetually. It is awesome.

Thanks for that information! I wasn't aware of those apps. I do have a blue light filter on my glasses. I am debating digitizing these cds and getting a tablet for travel. I know I'll have to breakdown and get Logos once I start seminary. I definitely see it's benefits. Thanks for your responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back