Matthew Poole on 1 Samuel (cont. x2)

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
It is comparatively easy to begin in humility than to end in humility.

Behold, the sad case of King Saul...

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Samuel began his career in humility, and ended it in like manner, willingly giving honor to another.

Saul began in humility, but ended in pride and tyranny.

How difficult a thing is humility to maintain!

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Saul receives the Word of God, but grows forgetful of this privilege.

A cautionary tale concerning pride and forgetfulness...

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Poole outlines 1 Samuel 10. It is time for Israel to have her first king, Saul.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
In 1 Samuel, the office of Judge waxes old; the era of the kings has come!

Anti-Babylon

Puritan Board Freshman
In 1 Samuel, the office of Judge waxes old; the era of the kings has come!

"Note that, although the anointing of Kings is commanded by no law, as far as I know, it is employed repeatedly as customary even before those times. "

Yes, for why should there be law regarding an office God never had a design for? When they rejected the Judges and asked for a king, they rejected God as their king.
Great stuff by the way. I love all this.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
"Note that, although the anointing of Kings is commanded by no law, as far as I know, it is employed repeatedly as customary even before those times. "

Yes, for why should there be law regarding an office God never had a design for? When they rejected the Judges and asked for a king, they rejected God as their king.
Great stuff by the way. I love all this.
Very kind. Thank you.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Civil magistrates are accountable to King Jesus, and will be made to feel it sooner or later.

"The first place Samuel directed him to was a sepulchre, the sepulchre of one of his ancestors, for Rachel died in travail with Benjamin; there he must read a lecture of his own mortality, and now that he had a crown in his eye must think of his grave, in which all his honour would be laid in the dust" (Matthew Henry).

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
A message for Washington:

"These two loaves, which were the first tribute paid to this newly-anointed king, might serve for an admonition to him not to spend the wealth of his crown in luxury, but still to be content with plain food. Bread is the staff of life." -Matthew Henry

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
Interested in Exclusive Psalmody? You will not want to miss this (including "Comments"). Samuel's "Sons of the Prophets" are an important, but often neglected, link in the History of the Service of Song.

dildaysc

Puritan Board Sophomore
"The greatest of men (including kings) must own themselves in subjection to God and his word" (Matthew Henry).