Matthew Poole on 1 Samuel (cont. x2)

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Reader, since there is a flood, and vengeance, and wrath upon the face of the world, fly, as the distressed dove, to this ark of the covenant; see how Jesus Christ, the true Noah, a preacher of righteousness, puts forth his hand to take thee in. He is the Son of David, to whom souls that are in debt and in distress may flee, and seemeth to speak to thee, as David to Abiathar, "Abide thou with me, fear not: for they (the world and devil) that seek thy life, seek mine: but with me thou shalt be in safeguard," 1 Samuel 22:23.' -George Swinnock

For the first time in English...

Matthew Poole's "Synopsis" on 1 Samuel 22 is available in its entirety! free and online!

What can we learn from David's deception, and the horrible consequences that follow?

Although in constant danger, David is actually safe in the hands of the Most High!

Poole gives us an overview of 1 Samuel 23...

In spite of his own danger, David was mindful of the troubles of others, and leapt to the defense of Keilah.

Matthew Poole walks us through the text...

Matthew Henry on Covenanting: "Jonathan and David made a covenant now, this third time, before the Lord, calling him to witness to it, 1 Samuel 23:18. True love takes delight in repeating its engagements, giving and receiving fresh assurances of the firmness of the friendship. Our covenant with God should be often renewed, and therein our communion with him kept up."

Precious quotes on the value of friendship in the "Comments".

"But the mode in which God, by the curb of his Providence, turns events in whatever direction he pleases, will appear from a remarkable example. At the very same moment when David was discovered in the wilderness of Maon, the Philistines make an inroad into the country, and Saul is forced to depart (1 Samuel 23:26-27)." -Calvin

In spite of the persecution, David loves Saul, and spares his life.

Join us for the study of 1 Samuel 24, with Matthew Poole as our guide!

"David's fame sounds not louder for his victories got in the open field over his slain enemies, than it doth for that he got in the cave, though an obscure hole, over his own revenge" (William Gurnall).

'It is a good thing to have a heart within us smiting us for sins that seem little; it is a sign that conscience is awake and tender, and will be the means of preventing greater sins' (Matthew Henry).

A seasonable thought...

'The justice of God is the refuge and comfort of oppressed innocence. If men wrong us, God will right us, at furthest, in the judgment of the great day' (M. Henry).

Poole expounds 1 Samuel 24:8-15 for us...

There is a vast difference between the sorrowing of the flesh leading to death, and Spirit-given repentance leading to life.

Unhappily, we see only the former in Saul...

Matthew Poole's "Synopsis" on 1 Samuel 24 (David's sparing of Saul) is now available in its entirety! free and online!

What is man?

We move from David's extraordinary mercy towards persecuting Saul to his murderous wrath towards Nabal...

Matthew Poole introduces his study to 1 Samuel 25...

Thinking of Sproul...

"Those have hard hearts who can bury their faithful ministers with dry eyes, who are not sensible of the loss of those who have prayed for them and taught them the way of the Lord." -Matthew Henry

Have you ever wondered on what grounds David believed he had a claim upon compensation from Nabal?

Matthew Poole explores this question...

George Swinnock: "I have sometimes considered with myself, and wondered why Nabal should be so exceeding churlish to David as not to spare of his superfluities to supply David's necessities, when David had been so exceeding civil to him as to preserve his flocks in safety from the rage of hungry soldiers. But when I marked well the story, I quickly found the cause of Nabal's covetous carriage. He looked upon himself as master of his estate, and not as God's servant to improve it for his profit and praise. "Shall I take my bread, and my water, and my flesh, and give it to men whom I know not whence they be?" 1 Samuel 25:11. Had he but had so much grace as to have called it God's bread, and God's water, he would have disposed it according to God's word, and not have denied a poor persecuted saint; but because he counted it his own proper wealth, therefore it must be disposed according to his own pernicious will."

1 Samuel describes Abigail as "a woman of good understanding".

Join us as Poole begins his investigation of her wisdom...

Abigail uses the tools at her disposal to make peace.

May we likewise show ourselves to be the children of God.

"Blessed are the peace-makers..."

Abigail presents a fine example of this very thing.

Matthew Poole explores the text...

David spiritually delivered! Nabal judged! Abigail re-married!

This passage is rich and full!

Please "like" and share.

Poole's "Synopsis" on 1 Samuel 25 (Abigail's interventions between David and Nabal) is now available in its entirety! free and online!

"David was of an humble, meek, and merciful spirit, 1 Samuel 26 throughout. This is agreeable to what is said of the Messiah, "A bruised reed shall he not break" (Jonathan Edwards).

David spares Saul's life...again!

A beautiful and winning model of mercy...

Some old light on the Imprecatory Psalms...

Poole considers David's merciful and friendly heart, as he spares persecuting Saul yet again...

'For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.'

Illustrated in Saul...

A translation milestone...

Poole's "Synopsis" on 1 Samuel 26 (David's sparing of Saul [again]) is now available in its entirety! free and online!

In ancient times the Lord Jesus taught His disciples to pray, "lead us not into temptation"...

The great need of this petition is illustrated in David's flight from Saul to Philistia...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back