Matthew Poole

Status
Not open for further replies.
I snagged His Commentaries Andrew !

Very Nice...

The only drawback is the small print.

Synopsis

Andrew, is your pastor planning on translating the whole of the SC? I emailed him, but got no response. If he is, not only am I tremendously excited, but willing to help him in any way I can.

Andrew, is your pastor planning on translating the whole of the SC? I emailed him, but got no response. If he is, not only am I tremendously excited, but willing to help him in any way I can.

I appreciate your encouraging words! Yes, his plan is to translate the entire Synopsis. He is well into Genesis and moving rapidly but it is a very lengthy project as you may imagine. The Preface is now available on the website and chapters from Genesis will be forthcoming soon, dv. I will mentioned that you tried to reach him and also that you have kindly offered to assist. Thank you very much, and God bless.

George Godfrey Cunningham, Lives of Eminent and Illustrious Englishmen, from Alfred the Great to the Latest Times, on an Original Plan:

He is represented by his biographer as being of an exceedingly merry disposition, though always within the limits of reason and innocence. His conversation is said to have been diverting and facetious in a very high degree. How great then must have been the restraints he exercised in so severe and continued a seclusion from society, and so close an application of mind to the very driest and dullest of studies – criticism! Mr Poole, however, appears to have enjoyed the happy art of both exciting and regulating innocent mirth.

He seems to have entertained a strict sense of what was decorous and of what was useful in facetious and entertaining, or even in mirthful discourse; but when he found that the strain was likely to be too long continued, or surpass the due limit, he would say, ‘Now let us call for a reckoning,’ and then would begin some very serious conversation, and endeavour thereby to leave upon his company some useful and valuable impression.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back