Maurice E. Wilson on Cults

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haeralis

Puritan Board Freshman
Excerpt from The Fundamentals: A Testimony to the Truth (writing about Eddyism / "Christian Science")

"One of the keenest observers of America has made the remark that "the reason so many new isms are constantly springing up is because the old Gospel is so hard to live." People are looking for a comfortable life here, and an easy way to heaven. They are scanning earth and sky for a royal road. The fight with sin which the Gospel demands is a fierce and bitter fight; and many men and women are anxiously searching for a way of escape, desiring to be "carried to the skies on flowery beds of ease."

It would probably be more true to say: "the old gospel is impossible to live," unless one has been called into newness of life. The reason people in America today look to manifold errors for a way to escape, is the same reason why Athens was filled with idols in the 1C.

I'm afraid the sense of the quote-within-the-quote, and the commentary after, is wholly focused on the sects that promise to smooth the way and relieve the conscience; in so doing, promising men a more convenient hope than in Christianity. For my part, I hear echoes of Finney's summons to moral-improvement in the excerpt.

The perspective of the writer completely ignores man's infatuation with law. There are some sects that heap up laws, both moral and positive, for their followers. And the more strictly the practitioners behave, the more glory will be attained. The promise of gospel-release from the bondages of legalism in various forms, is one of the sweetest notes of the Christian proclamation.

The siren of legalism is that it substitutes another law for God's, promising it will be attainable, and rewarding man's efforts. Some religion does present a very low-bar, as part of its sale. It takes little effort and sacrifice; the salesmen are counting on volume over quality. But other religion is looking for only the best of men, "Maybe you have what it takes to be... one of us." They set the bar high, and are counting on quality (and high-investment) over sheer number of adherents. The invitation to the "inner circle" is, for some fish, an irresistible though costly lure.

If you would truly understand the sermon on the mount, you must see it as Jesus' raising the bar beyond what the scribes and Pharisees had attained (in their own minds). Hear the King teach what it takes to be a citizen of his kingdom--and for this reason, there can be none such listening to him. Sorry folks, but not a single one of you can be part of this; you are all excluded... if you hope to come in and stay in by obedience.

There's only one way in: by coming to him. That's it, there's nothing else you can count on. You want to be a part of his kingdom, and you know you cannot be no matter how stringent is your life. You are left with this alone:
"Lord, I admit it: I cannot be a citizen of heaven. Yet, I cannot afford not to be. I want nothing more than to be with you; but I cannot be with you as I am and on my own merit. But, if you would receive me, and not turn me away; not regarding me as my sins deserve, but simply making room within for me in spite of me, for your own Name's sake, blotting out all my transgressions... then I believe you will keep your word. I will be at home here, and I by your grace will build my house upon your security."​

The life of the Christian, if it be true, is arduous both from within and without. And anyone who supposes there is no exercise in faith is too little acquainted with it. We are called to war, and each day conduct a wearying fight; or else we are in danger of the surprise and devastating attack visited on the careless, who forget the depth of the battlefield.

But this acknowledgement is not the same as thinking of "the old Gospel" as something "hard to live." Because, the gospel is not something you LIVE at all, but a LIFE that was lived--and laid down--for you. The gospel is a fact to be BELIEVED. And the lives that come forth from that origin are Spirit-empowered lives; and the strength to do the will of God and to fight the good fight is not from ourselves, but from God by whom we do what is impossible.

It would probably be more true to say: "the old gospel is impossible to live," unless one has been called into newness of life. The reason people in America today look to manifold errors for a way to escape, is the same reason why Athens was filled with idols in the 1C.

I'm afraid the sense of the quote-within-the-quote, and the commentary after, is wholly focused on the sects that promise to smooth the way and relieve the conscience; in so doing, promising men a more convenient hope than in Christianity. For my part, I hear echoes of Finney's summons to moral-improvement in the excerpt.

The perspective of the writer completely ignores man's infatuation with law. There are some sects that heap up laws, both moral and positive, for their followers. And the more strictly the practitioners behave, the more glory will be attained. The promise of gospel-release from the bondages of legalism in various forms, is one of the sweetest notes of the Christian proclamation.

The siren of legalism is that it substitutes another law for God's, promising it will be attainable, and rewarding man's efforts. Some religion does present a very low-bar, as part of its sale. It takes little effort and sacrifice; the salesmen are counting on volume over quality. But other religion is looking for only the best of men, "Maybe you have what it takes to be... one of us." They set the bar high, and are counting on quality (and high-investment) over sheer number of adherents. The invitation to the "inner circle" is, for some fish, an irresistible though costly lure.

If you would truly understand the sermon on the mount, you must see it as Jesus' raising the bar beyond what the scribes and Pharisees had attained (in their own minds). Hear the King teach what it takes to be a citizen of his kingdom--and for this reason, there can be none such listening to him. Sorry folks, but not a single one of you can be part of this; you are all excluded... if you hope to come in and stay in by obedience.

There's only one way in: by coming to him. That's it, there's nothing else you can count on. You want to be a part of his kingdom, and you know you cannot be no matter how stringent is your life. You are left with this alone:
"Lord, I admit it: I cannot be a citizen of heaven. Yet, I cannot afford not to be. I want nothing more than to be with you; but I cannot be with you as I am and on my own merit. But, if you would receive me, and not turn me away; not regarding me as my sins deserve, but simply making room within for me in spite of me, for your own Name's sake, blotting out all my transgressions... then I believe you will keep your word. I will be at home here, and I by your grace will build my house upon your security."​

The life of the Christian, if it be true, is arduous both from within and without. And anyone who supposes there is no exercise in faith is too little acquainted with it. We are called to war, and each day conduct a wearying fight; or else we are in danger of the surprise and devastating attack visited on the careless, who forget the depth of the battlefield.

But this acknowledgement is not the same as thinking of "the old Gospel" as something "hard to live." Because, the gospel is not something you LIVE at all, but a LIFE that was lived--and laid down--for you. The gospel is a fact to be BELIEVED. And the lives that come forth from that origin are Spirit-empowered lives; and the strength to do the will of God and to fight the good fight is not from ourselves, but from God by whom we do what is impossible.
The Sermon on the Mount shows us how the people of God are supposed to act out their walk with the Lord, but as you stated, none of us will be able to maintain that level of living standard required, so we must avail ourselves of His grace to live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back