Maybe the best Luke commentary ever

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenbaggins

Puritan Board Doctor
I did have the privilege of hearing some of these sermons, but now they are printed, and I am glad. Rick Phillips told me that this may actually be the best expository commentary ever written on any book of the Bible.

If people are still referencing it in 500 years (unless the Lord comes first, come quickly!) then maybe we can treat the work with such loud and impressive platitudes.

If people are still referencing it in 500 years (unless the Lord comes first, come quickly!) then maybe we can treat the work with such loud and impressive platitudes.

I think we can lower the bar a little.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting you, Ben. But you seem to be irritated at this suggestion. It was said to me by a man who has read probably thousands of expository commentaries. I think that Rick Phillips knows what constitutes a good commentary and what constitutes a bad one. And it isn't platitudinous. I rarely use language of "best," though I often use the language of "one of the best." There are important differences here.

I received notification from Amazon that mine was shipped on Monday.

Let me put it this way Rev. Keister.

2,000 years of Church History is a long time. I hardly think (no matter how good it is and Rev. Phillips may be correct) a commentary, of which as you said there are thousands, that has been available to the general public for a week deserves or rates being labeled like
"may actually be the best expository commentary ever written on any book of the Bible"
this. I say give the work a little time to gestate and be received into common use before placing such unbearable and unnecessary weight upon this commentary.

What's so unbearable about this, Ben? Where is this apparent animus coming from? Did Lane offend you, or did Rick Phillips? I can't understand the need to keep telling Lane that his language is overblown, when he's quoting someone.

I hardly think that I am a typical chronological snob, Ben, where only recent works are valuable. I love the Puritans, Calvin, the post-Reformation tradition, etc. I think there is value in every period of church history's theological formulations. Including the present.

I hardly think that I am a typical chronological snob, Ben, where only recent works are valuable. I love the Puritans, Calvin, the post-Reformation tradition, etc. I think there is value in every period of church history's theological formulations. Including the present.

I was unaware I was implying any such thing. Any other motives you'd like to read into my statement?

Point only was to tone down the rhetoric. "Best Ever" is a much overused and misapplied term in our day. Especially for a commentary that few people have seen or read.

I was unaware I was implying any such thing. Any other motives you'd like to read into my statement?

Point only was to tone down the rhetoric. "Best Ever" is a much overused and misapplied term in our day. Especially for a commentary that few people have seen or read.

Ben, I wasn't inferring any motives from your statement. What I was trying to say was this: neither Rick nor I are chronological snobs. Neither Rick nor I use this kind of language very often at all. Just because other people overuse it doesn't mean that I or Rick have overused it. In fact, I dare say that both Rick and I are rather picky about our commentaries, and what constitutes a good one. That is all I am trying to establish here. I have not said similar things about any other commentary, to my knowledge.

Lane, you may be the best pastor scholar I have ever known in the entire history of my enormously long and fruitful life. As such, your words are certainly the most excellent that I could ever receive from any source under heaven on any biblical or theological topic. Yay, verily, I would vouchsafe that you excel at critical acumen to such a degree as to render all standards of comparison meaningless when set against the brilliance and the sun-like radiance of your intellectual glory. I receive with greatest humility the delphic oracle of advice emanating from your fecund pen, er . . . I mean keyboard. You have motivated me far more than any mere Zigler or Maxwell to move from my overly paddded posterior to order this finest of all expository commentaries ever put into print in the 2,000 year history of the church. I am looking forward with utmost excitement to reading this master of exposition who can deliver words to me surpassing the most excellent Augustine, Calvin, and even Tim LaHaye.

Besides you went to WTS and those guys are all sneaky smart, don't you know. :lol:

Lane, now seriously, your commendations mean a lot to me. I have learned that you are a sane and sensible critic who seldom wastes a word, let alone a superlative. If you think that this is a book to buy, I need no other recommendation. Too often, books get recommended either by practioners who know little of the technicalities of the critical issues in the original or by academics who only know how to speak to members of their own guild. You are someone I trust implicitly and explicitly. Thanks for the tip, brother.

What's so unbearable about this, Ben? Where is this apparent animus coming from? Did Lane offend you, or did Rick Phillips? I can't understand the need to keep telling Lane that his language is overblown, when he's quoting someone.

Why would I need "animus" to question the need of such praise and why in the world would I be "offended" by the assertions of Rev. Keister or Rev. Phillips?

All I am calling for is a little time, reflection, and patience before anointing the work with such exceedingly high praise.

Why would I need "animus" to question the need of such praise and why in the world would I be "offended" by the assertions of Rev. Keister or Rev. Phillips?

All I am calling for is a little time, reflection, and patience before anointing the work with such exceedingly high praise.

Fair enough. However, a lighter touch wouldn't hurt. :graduate:

Comparitively Speaking...

Maybe we could just say that it beats the daylights out of this one.

51l7mMBKrlL._SS500_.jpg

Thanks for the heads up. I'll watch for it.

Brian McLaren on Luke!!! Wow! This will be on my must-buy list!!!

Who needs . . .
Bock, Darrell L. Luke, 2 vols. BECNT. Baker, 1994, 1996. Butler, Trent C. and Max Anders, Holman New Testament Commentary : Luke. Green, Joel B. The Gospel of Luke. NICNT. Eerdmans, 1997. Hughes, Kent, Luke, Preaching the Word Series, Crossway Books & Bibles. Just, Arthur, Luke, NT Volume 3: Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture Series, Inter-varsity Press, 2002. Marshall, I. Howard. The Gospel of Luke. NIGTC. Eerdmans, 1978. Morris, Leon. Luke. 2nd. ed. TNTC. Eerdmans, 1988. Nolland, John, Luke, 3 Volumes. Word Biblical Commentary. Stein, Robert H. Luke. NAC?

I should just throw those away and replace them with McLaren. Wow! Thanks for the tip! Two really helpful tips in one thread.

Last edited:
You have motivated me far more than any mere Zigler or Maxwell to move from my overly paddded posterior to order this finest of all expository commentaries ever put into print in the 2,000 year history of the church. I am looking forward with utmost excitement to reading this master of exposition who can deliver words to me surpassing the most excellent Augustine, Calvin, and even Tim LaHaye.

Good sir, I take issue with your implication that Augustine and Calvin are in the same league as that great man of God Dr. LaHaye. I appreciate City of God and The Institutes as well as any evangelical churchman, but I dare not pit these relative fluff pieces against Left Behind.

Lane -

Let's pretend I was a man of humble means and I couldn't afford all the good Luke commentaries on the market. Let's say that I need a good commentary on Luke for the purpose of preparing sermons and/or Bible studies. Let's further say that while my job prevents me from sitting around reading all day, nonetheless I do know the biblical languages and I do engage in serious study in preparation for those sermons and Bible studies.

Would you actually suggest Ryken over Bock?

Me... I'm having a hard time seeing it. Help me see it.

-----Added 5/14/2009 at 10:34:52 EST-----

Good sir, I take issue with your implication that Augustine and Calvin are in the same league as that great man of God Dr. LaHaye. I appreciate City of God and The Institutes as well as any evangelical churchman, but I dare not pit these relative fluff pieces against Left Behind.

Exactly! Those two old dead guys didn't produce nearly the theological profundity or RELEVANCY as LaHaye! The proof is in the pudding: They were broke and LaHaye smokes $20 bills and has a mattress filled with Benjamins from all the loot he scored with his treatises on the end times! :p

Lane -

Let's pretend I was a man of humble means and I couldn't afford all the good Luke commentaries on the market. Let's say that I need a good commentary on Luke for the purpose of preparing sermons and/or Bible studies. Let's further say that while my job prevents me from sitting around reading all day, nonetheless I do know the biblical languages and I do engage in serious study in preparation for those sermons and Bible studies.

Would you actually suggest Ryken over Bock?

Me... I'm having a hard time seeing it. Help me see it.

-----Added 5/14/2009 at 10:34:52 EST-----

Exactly! Those two old dead guys didn't produce nearly the theological profundity or RELEVANCY as LaHaye! The proof is in the pudding: They were broke and LaHaye smokes $20 bills and has a mattress filled with Benjamins from all the loot he scored with his treatises on the end times! :p

Ben, I guess it would depend on what kind of help one is looking for. They are very different commentaries. Bock is much more technical in his exegesis. He is easily the best modern exegetical commentary on the market. Ryken, however, would be the best expository commentary on the market. Ideally, one would read both (which would cost about $90). Of course, Ryken made extensive use of Bock in the sermon series. So, even if you only got Ryken, you would still get a bit of Bock back. :lol:

Thanks Lane for your last post. It's the best response to a post that I've seen all day. I may not think so 500 years from now but, for now, well done!

I'm just bummed that I bought the set before this one came out. Now I have to buy the rest individually.

I'm just bummed that I bought the set before this one came out. Now I have to buy the rest individually.

Well, you'd be bummed for quite a while to come. They plan on releasing at least one or two volumes per year for the next twenty or thirty years until the set is done. So, unless, you want to be without the help of any of them, you're going to have this frustration for quite a while! I've simply been keeping up as they've been coming out. Never bought any of them in a set.

Last edited:
ummm....

Where did I say that?

You didn't say it, but you obviously don't like him doing it when you find his words grandiose.

Wow. Since I do not think his Luke commentary should be automatically be the best ever you conclude I do not like him.

... :think: I believe I had more in my sentence after "don't like him." But that's okay. Regardless of what has been said in this thread, I'm sure the commentary is fantastic and I am excited to get it, as I'm sure you are (to a degree). I just don't want to say anything further on this. May our Father bless and keep you, Ben :)

I'm obviously not speaking for the board, but in the spirit of Christian charity (from one brother to others) -- can this exchange come to an end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back