Medieval Exegesis, vol 2 (de Lubac)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
De Lubac killed the forest for the sake of the trees. The book did explain medieval exegesis, so I give him credit on that. And many of his quotations were quite interesting, even stirring--so that's good. But he drowned his argument for the sake of piling on citations. Within 226 pages of text, I counted a total of 2,563 citations, leaving 208 pages of endnotes.

So what's his argument? I'm not sure. (I'm kidding). On de Lubac's reading, allegory isn't the wax nose that it would later become. Rather, Allegory is when one thing is being accomplished and another pre-figured (de Lubac 7). Sounds a lot like modern typology. The “mystic sense”of Scripture refers to a reality ‘hidden in God’ and then revealed to mankind in Christ (20). And the movement from history to eschatology (anagogy) isn't completely arbitrary. It unfolds within the prior historical moment of the Incarnate Word. The object of allegory is a reality of things to come (94). It is an opposition of sign and thing signified within a single duration (95). History, in short, can never fully contain that which it foretells. Allegory, then, is an irruption from the historia into the allegoria, what de Lubac calls “another dimension” (95). Interiority: not necessarily the inner life, but the interiority of the mystery (97). These “hidden facts have an inside,” which is salvific (98).

Conclusion:

I'm not sure if I recommend this book. It is very expensive and crowded with citations that don't always add to his argument, leaving the actual argument in fog. And I say this as someone who loves de Lubac's work. Read Boersma instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back