Medieval & Reformation commentaries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Casey

Puritan Board Junior
When working through commentaries in preparation to write a sermon, I prefer to start with the Church Fathers (if any available on the book, I have the Schaff set), then Reformers (usually Calvin), then Puritans (usually Matthew Henry), and then a few modern commentaries. This is always helpful to see the progression of the Church's interpretation and gain a better grasp of the meaning of the text.

Honestly, though, I wish there were some medieval commentaries I could include (I have selections from Bernard on the Song of Songs, but that's it), and perhaps other Reformers besides Calvin (I have Luther's introductions, but that's not the same). I don't know Latin so it would have to be in translation.

All I've found is Aquinas online, which I haven't really spent much time looking at, but there are commentaries in his works. I prefer having physical books, but I suppose some of this might be pricey and easier to get from the Internet, though I sometimes wonder about the quality of translations made available for free online.

What are some important, and often referenced, Medieval and Reformation commentaries that are available in English?

:book2:

Casey, there is, indeed, a wealth of Medieval commentary; unfortunately, I am not sure much of it has yet been Englished. For the Reformers, you might check this thread I made a few months ago. I have started putting the actual titles of the works in (and not just the authors), and after each name/work it specifies whether the work was written in or has been translated to English or is only available in its original language. Hope it helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back