Mennonites

Status
Not open for further replies.

josiahrussell

Puritan Board Freshman
Who knows much about the Mennonites? My wife and I went to the farmers markets and they were there with their home baked goods and invited us to a Mennonite worship service tomorrow evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know they sprouted from the anabaptists but I don't know much about them either

And they drive tractors and use electricity, unlike the Amish. Otherwise, they come from the same basic source, claiming an anabaptist heritage. Mennonites communities vary, too--ranging from somewhat closed colonies (I knew of some in Montana) to living in towns among everyone else.

Non-resistance, as Edward said, somewhat works-oriented, but I wouldn't pin it as a heresy on the ones I know.

I bought a book from them called Mennonite doctrine and practice. I wouldn't say it's heresy, but I would say it's a little legalistic and wrong. If they all did what they do out of reverence for God I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with it but the fact it is part of their system makes it lean on the legalistic side. It seems they have a lot of good points just bad applications. And too arminian for me haha. If they were more reformed in doctrine then I would say that I could possibly live with them lol. From the outside it seems that they are like the arminian puritans.

I bought a book from them called Mennonite doctrine and practice. I wouldn't say it's heresy, but I would say it's a little legalistic and wrong. If they all did what they do out of reverence for God I wouldn't say there is anything wrong with it but the fact it is part of their system makes it lean on the legalistic side. It seems they have a lot of good points just bad applications. And too arminian for me haha. If they were more reformed in doctrine then I would say that I could possibly live with them lol. From the outside it seems that they are like the arminian puritans.

Your labeling them as being the arminian counterparts to the Puritan was pretty much spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back