Mental health question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beth

Puritan Board Freshman
This is a delicate topic and I wasn't even sure where on the Puritan Board to post my questions. If this isn't the place, kindly direct me to the right place, thank you.

Mental health issues and the Christian. If someone is a Christian and develops a mental health issue and is getting treatment etc, but they still have some problems how does one help them? Like someone who has had a mental breakdown and a brief departure from wanting or knowing God in their day to day life.

How does God and Christians here on the board look upon someone who suffers (and that's an understatement) from something like schizophrenia, disassociative issues etc?

That's enough of a start for me right now.

~ Beth

This has always been an interesting question for me. While my case is nothing near as serious as all this I was horrified at the effects of a concussion I had (and the only one yay) where I found it very hard to read afterwards, pray etc... and rather hard also to 'worship' in the services. While this only lasted maybe two - three weeks (I cant remember lol) it certainly got me wondering about all this. At no time (if I remember rightly) did I want to give up God but it was just very hard to DO anything 'Christian' (or anything else for that matter) A great day for me was when I read a page of the KJV in half an hour :p Otherwise I was lost :candle: Praise God for the doctrines of grace and not works :sing:

[Edited on 27-10-2004 by Abd_Yesua_alMasih]

Beth, it's a real sticky situation playing with these labels of "mental illness." I'm a Christian and a nurse. So I daily see two vastly different approaches to mental "problems." The modern medical convention of thought is that mental illnesses are, in a great part, chemical imbalances that must be corrected, with occasional psychothereapy. The problem with this approach is the inherit unbelief of such an approach. It denies the reality and consequences of sin, God's grace, and human responsibility. Modern psychotherapy for the most part is atheistic, or at best relativistic. They focus on making you "feel" better rather than solving the root of the problem.

Christians, in general, look at these problems as spiritual problems. So, mental illness in general, is a result of sin or affliction of some sort. Most will admit that it is possible to have some biological causes to these problems. But look at our society today. Should we be surprised that depression is on the rise when we are becoming more godless and materialistic every day? People are looking for hope, peace, and satisfaction in the created things, rather than repenting and turning back to their Creator. Until one turns from sin and unbelief and believes the promises of God by a true faith, he has no true hope. Depression is the logical conclusion of unbelief. This also applies to many other illnesses out there like schizophrenia, personality disorders, and such. They are often an unbelieving response to all that's out there, a spiraling downward of unbelief if you will. Again, I'm not ruling out the possibility of biological causes. But the psychotherapist will not even consider the spiritual causes.

The bottom line with dealing with some one like this, is to get to the root of the problem. Is it a spiritual cause or biological, or perhaps even both. These things must be sorted out in-depth in order to help someone with mental illness. I tend to see most of these things as spiritually related in our day. And for the Christian, no matter what the cause, they can overcome these afflictions through faith in Christ and trusting the promises of God no matter what their feelings tell them. It may be more difficult for them to endure but it's not impossible. Depression, and the like, for some believers may simply be that "thorn in the flesh" God has given them to bear in this life. But God's grace is sufficient for them.

William Cowper was psychotically depressed most of his life, he died in that state, I'm told. If by "overcome" you mean continuing to believe, as best you can, a Christian should be able to do this. If you mean always reacting correctly, never doubting seriously, maintaining a "joyful" bubbly attitude at all times, that's unrealistic for anyone, particularly someone in grief or with a biological disorder which affects the brain. Thank God these evidences of the Fall will not afflict us in the next age!

Originally posted by puritansailor
Beth, it's a real sticky situation playing with these labels of "mental illness." I'm a Christian and a nurse. So I daily see two vastly different approaches to mental "problems." The modern medical convention of thought is that mental illnesses are, in a great part, chemical imbalances that must be corrected, with occasional psychothereapy. The problem with this approach is the inherit unbelief of such an approach. It denies the reality and consequences of sin, God's grace, and human responsibility. Modern psychotherapy for the most part is atheistic, or at best relativistic. They focus on making you "feel" better rather than solving the root of the problem.

Thank you for replying to my question. Without boring you or writing a novel, I am wondering about someone who was raped and left mentally shattered, who then had a wonderful marriage (thank God) but who is now widowed unexpectedly.

Whose husband was the only human she ever trusted, because he earned her trust, who now has what they call dissociative episodes related to the rape years ago and now being all alone.

Major emergency surgeries, no family nearby, and in some respects home bound. She is trying very, very hard to get into a church.

Prayers are appreciated as are any books etc you or others might recommend.

She isn't giving up, but feels so horrid on the rare occasions something happens and she behaves in a manner that is so opposite from who she really is. Hope this makes sense, but she has to be really careful with ANY webpage that has black background etc, since this is a 'trigger. Do you understand this?

~ Beth

My heart goes out to woman you spoke of. I can unfortunately speak from experience in trying make a few suggestions. I've struggled with mental illness for many years. I have been to where I was angry with the Lord for what was happening to me. In the past I've quit going to church and wanted nothing to do with the people there.

One thing you can do is to remind her that even when she sins and acts in ways against what she truly believes, she still belongs to the Lord. He is always going to be there, and he will still love her when she's gotten back to herself. It seems like a small thing, but especially when you are depressed, it seems like any setback or any sin is a catastrophe.

Another thing is to reassure her that no matter how bad things are, God can use them for the good of his children. And remind her to pray and share her struggles with the Lord, even though at times she may not feel like it and may not do it.

As far as books, maybe The Power of Suffering by John MacArthur could help some.

For her problem with black backgrounds, she can set Internet Explorer not to render backgrounds in anything but white, just by checking a box. In Tools-Internet Options-General-Accessibility, there are checkboxes, if you check them all, all text is black, all links are blue, and all backgrounds are white. Or she can make her own stylesheet, and use it in place of others. That takes more time, but she might find a theme she would like if she wants to do that.

She'll be in my prayers.

Tough subject I\'ve found.

My buddy and I have been talking about this issue recently because he has been going through some anxiety issues--panic attacks. I won't go into his issues, but, he def. repeats scripture throughout the attacks, prays reg. and still benefited from Prof. help.
I've read quite a few books on the subject, and am still sorting out where the truth lies when it comes to Psychology. From the anti Psych of Macarthur who I feel often adds guilt to the already struggling person with a mental health issue; to the pop psychology of the water downed seeker sensitive church who goes first to the Psychologist then to the Councilor then...maybe...to the Bible.
It can be confusing.
My thoughts right now, can be summed up by a comparison.
I knew an ex-heroin addict who despite doing the drug daily, when he came to Christ he quit cold turkey, never to struggle with that addiction again. I would think (the nurse prob knows more about this) that most in the medical profession would say that is a rare scenario, most, if not all hard core addicts in the medical profession's opinion would need some prof and medicinal help to get off the drug.
I think we would call it a miracle if someone who needs medical help is healed without it. And many in the Christian community probably have stories like this. But I believe many also have stories of those coming out of an addiction--or any ailment--taking a long hard time to heal with the help of professionals.
Now this ex-heroin addict, I believe, is not the norm. I think most addicts, even after coming to the Lord, will need council, and med. attention to help them through, if only due to the physical addiction.
So I would argue, since many recent studies have documented through hard science that our experiences effect the hard wiring of our brains, that if we have had some traumatic experience in our past (absent father, abuse, alcoholic in the family, rape, etc) it will effect the way our brain works. Now we might experience a miracle, and as children of God not have the physical, emotional and psychological effects that the trauma would usually bring, or, like most addicts or anyone with a physical problem, we might need medical attention and prof. guidance even after we have become a Christian.
Of course, we will never be perfect, until heaven, but if something can be fixed, we should fix it. We don't limp through life with a broken ankle that could of been fixed because we consider it a thorn in the flesh. Many emotional or psychological issues have causes other than chemical, and sometimes it can be fairly simple to identify, and therefore treat; depression, anxiety, stress, etc. Obviously someone who has studied, researched and experimented in these areas is going to be more apt to readily diagnose and provide a solution.
Even diet can come into play. Imagine someone who suffers from lack of energy, and therefore depression because they are just not motivated, and goes to their pastor, who tells them it's a spiritual issue, so the depressed person suffers through life with not only depression, but guilt at their lack of spirituality, when, a quick visit to a medical professional might determine that they were mildly diabetic (or whatever) and needed to adjust their diet to gain more energy.
Of course, first and foremost we seek healing from God, but as God heals through miraculous intervention when we break a leg, or through the years of expertise the doctor brings us when he fixes it, he also can heal the broken workings of our mental processes through a miracle or through the expertise of a professional in the field.

Like I said, still working through this myself, It seems there is an imbalance on all sides in regards to this issue. I need to search these boards, I've been wondering what the Reformed communities take is on the "Psychology issue".
I know this, "Seek ye FIRST His Kingdom and His righteousness and all these things will be added on to you. Mathew 6:33

Your friend is in my Prayers today.

Trev

The things being struggled with are all symptoms of grief from the sudden loss of her husband. Flashbacks, mood swings, depression, being reclusive, and even the apparent changes in personality from time to time, these all stem from grief. Because I know this friend of yours and have chatted with her I do not believe there is any mental disorder at all. That worry should be put to rest.

This woman MUST get into a church, get with other women, the elders, and anyone else available for prayer, fellowship, accountability, and most of all so that others can HELP bear these burdens. She will get through this by God's grace, but there are things she must do. She must get plugged into a local body of believers, let them know her struggles, and seek their support. This probably scares her to death! Her fear is probably why she has not gotten into a church yet. This is completely understandable. Suddenly she really believes she is all alone. But she is not alone. And she can change this! Help her step out from behind the wall of fear and reach out of her grief to those who can help - the Body of Christ.

We have been praying and will continue to do so. God is there. He is faithful and merciful. He is in control. And He will see this grieving lady through this, I promise!

Phillip

One of the most famous men in the bible experienced mental illness that God restored.
Daniel 4

Nebuchadnezzar's Dream of a Tree

1 King Nebuchadnezzar,

To the peoples, nations and men of every language, who live in all the world:

May you prosper greatly!

2 It is my pleasure to tell you about the miraculous signs and wonders that the Most High God has performed for me.

3 How great are his signs,
how mighty his wonders!
His kingdom is an eternal kingdom;
his dominion endures from generation to generation.

4 I, Nebuchadnezzar, was at home in my palace, contented and prosperous. 5 I had a dream that made me afraid. As I was lying in my bed, the images and visions that passed through my mind terrified me. 6 So I commanded that all the wise men of Babylon be brought before me to interpret the dream for me. 7 When the magicians, enchanters, astrologers [1] and diviners came, I told them the dream, but they could not interpret it for me. 8 Finally, Daniel came into my presence and I told him the dream. (He is called Belteshazzar, after the name of my god, and the spirit of the holy gods is in him.)
9 I said, "Belteshazzar, chief of the magicians, I know that the spirit of the holy gods is in you, and no mystery is too difficult for you. Here is my dream; interpret it for me. 10 These are the visions I saw while lying in my bed: I looked, and there before me stood a tree in the middle of the land. Its height was enormous. 11 The tree grew large and strong and its top touched the sky; it was visible to the ends of the earth. 12 Its leaves were beautiful, its fruit abundant, and on it was food for all. Under it the beasts of the field found shelter, and the birds of the air lived in its branches; from it every creature was fed.
13 "In the visions I saw while lying in my bed, I looked, and there before me was a messenger, [2] a holy one, coming down from heaven. 14 He called in a loud voice: 'Cut down the tree and trim off its branches; strip off its leaves and scatter its fruit. Let the animals flee from under it and the birds from its branches. 15 But let the stump and its roots, bound with iron and bronze, remain in the ground, in the grass of the field.
" 'Let him be drenched with the dew of heaven, and let him live with the animals among the plants of the earth. 16 Let his mind be changed from that of a man and let him be given the mind of an animal, till seven times [3] pass by for him.
17 " 'The decision is announced by messengers, the holy ones declare the verdict, so that the living may know that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes and sets over them the lowliest of men.'
18 "This is the dream that I, King Nebuchadnezzar, had. Now, Belteshazzar, tell me what it means, for none of the wise men in my kingdom can interpret it for me. But you can, because the spirit of the holy gods is in you."

Daniel Interprets the Dream
19 Then Daniel (also called Belteshazzar) was greatly perplexed for a time, and his thoughts terrified him. So the king said, "Belteshazzar, do not let the dream or its meaning alarm you."
Belteshazzar answered, "My lord, if only the dream applied to your enemies and its meaning to your adversaries! 20 The tree you saw, which grew large and strong, with its top touching the sky, visible to the whole earth, 21 with beautiful leaves and abundant fruit, providing food for all, giving shelter to the beasts of the field, and having nesting places in its branches for the birds of the air- 22 you, O king, are that tree! You have become great and strong; your greatness has grown until it reaches the sky, and your dominion extends to distant parts of the earth.
23 "You, O king, saw a messenger, a holy one, coming down from heaven and saying, 'Cut down the tree and destroy it, but leave the stump, bound with iron and bronze, in the grass of the field, while its roots remain in the ground. Let him be drenched with the dew of heaven; let him live like the wild animals, until seven times pass by for him.'
24 "This is the interpretation, O king, and this is the decree the Most High has issued against my lord the king: 25 You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like cattle and be drenched with the dew of heaven. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes. 26 The command to leave the stump of the tree with its roots means that your kingdom will be restored to you when you acknowledge that Heaven rules. 27 Therefore, O king, be pleased to accept my advice: Renounce your sins by doing what is right, and your wickedness by being kind to the oppressed. It may be that then your prosperity will continue."

The Dream Is Fulfilled
28 All this happened to King Nebuchadnezzar. 29 Twelve months later, as the king was walking on the roof of the royal palace of Babylon, 30 he said, "Is not this the great Babylon I have built as the royal residence, by my mighty power and for the glory of my majesty?"
31 The words were still on his lips when a voice came from heaven, "This is what is decreed for you, King Nebuchadnezzar: Your royal authority has been taken from you. 32 You will be driven away from people and will live with the wild animals; you will eat grass like cattle. Seven times will pass by for you until you acknowledge that the Most High is sovereign over the kingdoms of men and gives them to anyone he wishes."
33 Immediately what had been said about Nebuchadnezzar was fulfilled. He was driven away from people and ate grass like cattle. His body was drenched with the dew of heaven until his hair grew like the feathers of an eagle and his nails like the claws of a bird.

34 At the end of that time, I, Nebuchadnezzar, raised my eyes toward heaven, and my sanity was restored. Then I praised the Most High; I honored and glorified him who lives forever.

His dominion is an eternal dominion;
his kingdom endures from generation to generation.
35 All the peoples of the earth
are regarded as nothing.
He does as he pleases
with the powers of heaven
and the peoples of the earth.
No one can hold back his hand
or say to him: "What have you done?"

36 At the same time that my sanity was restored, my honor and splendor were returned to me for the glory of my kingdom. My advisers and nobles sought me out, and I was restored to my throne and became even greater than before. 37 Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise and exalt and glorify the King of heaven, because everything he does is right and all his ways are just. And those who walk in pride he is able to humble.

Originally posted by pastorway
The things being struggled with are all symptoms of grief from the sudden loss of her husband. Flashbacks, mood swings, depression, being reclusive, and even the apparent changes in personality from time to time, these all stem from grief. Because I know this friend of yours and have chatted with her I do not believe there is any mental disorder at all. That worry should be put to rest.

This woman MUST get into a church, get with other women, the elders, and anyone else available for prayer, fellowship, accountability, and most of all so that others can HELP bear these burdens. She will get through this by God's grace, but there are things she must do. She must get plugged into a local body of believers, let them know her struggles, and seek their support. This probably scares her to death! Her fear is probably why she has not gotten into a church yet. This is completely understandable. Suddenly she really believes she is all alone. But she is not alone. And she can change this! Help her step out from behind the wall of fear and reach out of her grief to those who can help - the Body of Christ.

We have been praying and will continue to do so. God is there. He is faithful and merciful. He is in control. And He will see this grieving lady through this, I promise!

Phillip

Amen and amen.

Our Lord and Savior took on our nature, and he knows our needs and infirmities better than we know them ourselves. He was tempted in all ways like we are, yet without sin. He experienced loss (Lazarus), betrayal (Judas), rejection by friends (Peter), and concern for his family (Mary & John). It is for this reason that he has given to us a, no THE, means to live in this sinful, troubling world. That is His body, the Church. He could easily have saved each of us and left us to wander about by ourselves, but He is too good, too kind for that. He knows our frame, that we are but dust. And so his gift to all of us is His Church. It is where He is found.

My strong advice to your friend is to be in a church. Now!! Not out of duty, but for her own help and assistance. Remember that we are given this great cloud of witnesses for a reason, that we might:

"Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, 13and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.
14Pursue peace with all people, and holiness, without which no one will see the Lord: 15looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled" (Hebrews 12:12ff.)

I will be praying.

I don't know a lot about mental health...However, if I was advising someone I would encourage them to go back to the basic foundations of their belief...

I know:

That my Redeemer lives.

That all things work together for the good of those who love Him.

That He will never leave me or forsake me.

That my purpose in life is to glorify God.

I'm convinced that this is what will hold me together when the rest of my life is in erratic confusion and my prayers seem as pointless as last weeks newspaper. These are the vitamins to my soul that I'll continually fall back on. When Stephen was being stoned I don't think he felt the stones hitting his body...because he could see something greater and more glorious, he could see the throne of God. Whether our problems are mental or physical, I think much of the solution is found on forcing ourself to focus on God. When our feelings are forcing us away, we have to force ourselves closer. We have to inundate our soul with His word---I'd use Bible tapes/cd's. I'd listen to them constantly, particularly at night when I couldn't get to sleep. I'd listen to Psalms, I'd empathize with Job, I'd find hope in John, I'd seek answers in Romans...and I'd listen to good inspirational Christian music.

If I had a friend who was going through this, I would repeatedly assure her that God will not let her fall. He who has started a good work will bring it to completion, and He will not lose a single one of those who are His own. "For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord." Rom. 8:38-39 And this includes mental and physical problems. I would drill that into her mind so that when the nights grew dark she could repeat it, until she believed the words and found peace in her soul.

As a nurse case manager, many of my patients suffered from depression. Depression is a clinical condition. Whether it be from environment, diet, physical condition etc. it needs to be dealt with. Beth, do not miss the signs; step into the gap for your friend by praying and assisting. Assisting by speaking with her, her family, her pastor, even her doctor if need be. Most of these conditions can be aleviated with a combination of treatments, i.e. prayer, counsel, medicines. In some biblical cases, God saw fit to aflict. Apaphrodites (sp) served the Lord almost unto death. Tim had a stomach ailment, Paul "a thorn". Whatever the case, do not wait; take action. Do not wait till the issue exacerbates itself.

Scott, I totally agree with your post.

One comment about the Reformed faith in regards to this issue that encourages me, and it is seen in all the posts, and I don't think is seen in the majority of churches in America today, is the Rock solid fact that God is the author and finisher of our faith. So what ever the issue is we are dealing with, the struggles we might have, we know our destination is not based on anything we do. Most churches today that I have visited, even the ones with great teachers that claim you can't lose your salvation and give lip service to grace through faith alone through Christ alone, because their teachings are not grounded in Reformed theology, they can't help but slip into works base legalism. Well for someone who might have a clinical condition, if their church disregards that as real, AND has planted the seeds of doubt in regards to salvation whenever "our lives are not producing fruit"-- even for a short while--, well, that person is going to suffer.

Praise God for solid doctrine that places everything at the feet of God and not just some things.

Beth,

I have had some of what was diagnosed as mental health problems, at a time when I was very sick and hurt by other things. I will pray very much about this situation: it sounds very hard.

I can't add much expert help to my sympathy and prayers, except that I agree with the advice given: there are often two layers to a mental problem, and while the physical layer needs to be addressed (though responsibly: doctors often prescribe drugs without even testing for chemical imbalances-- the drug I was put on gave me hallucinations which were as bad as anything in the depression itself), the spiritual layer is absolutely foundational (I think Cowper was mentioned earlier: he did much better in the presence of his good preacher friend, John Newton, who encouraged him spiritually). A good church is necessary-- I read somewhere that Cowper did not attend church, because of an earlier tragedy associated with church, and I believe that made his experience more difficult, though there were physical causes-- not only for the fellowship, but for the regular reminder of the utterly objective God, in a time when we are so engulfed in and twisted through our utterly subjective experience.

The depression this woman is experiencing is very natural, and understandable, given the traumatic and heartbreaking nature of her husband's death, and of the earlier rape. But even beyond these things, there is a joy and a hope, that are being clouded out right now- perhaps God is teaching this woman about them, giving them to her through these very difficult things. He redeems our worst experiences in this way. We often have to be emptied of our shadowy earthly treasures before we are ready to appreciate the real, heavenly thing. The woman needs the body of Christ to help her to focus on the riches that are in Christ Jesus, especially at this time.

"...whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things." Philippians 4:8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back