Mentored Distance Education at Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary or Other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolamVeritatem

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello Everyone,

I have a unique and blessed opportunity upon my retirement in a few years to participate in Greenville’s Distance Learning Mentor Study program for the MDIV. More information about it can be found at this link.

Greenville Presbyterian Theological Seminary - Distance Learning

The best thing about this is that I have a really good relationship with the pastor who would be mentoring me, and he graduated from Greenville as well. The opportunity is unique because I don’t know how often it is that you actually get to study under a pastor in a local church, participate in all of the daily activities of ministry and pursue theological training at the institution that your pastor studied at.
That being said, I was wondering if there was anyone who has ever done this program with Greenville, and if so are there some experiences that you could share about it? I have outlined some of the pros above, but what do you think are some of the cons? Is there a void that will come with lack of presence at the brick and mortar setting with the exception of intensives? Is there an element that I might receive from the professors that I am missing here?
Also, if you have done mentored distance learning at any other seminary, or in any other biblical training capacity (bible school, elder program, hybrid seminary/pastoral internship) or anything like that it would be helpful to hear some of those experiences as well.

Thanks all!!!

Craig

I did both on-campus and Internet ("distance") classes through SBTS, and extension center classes through NOBTS. I was privileged to have a faculty mentor (Tom Nettles) during SBTS on-campus days. It was great!

But I would give my left arm to have had an opportunity to be mentored by a pastor, for the pastorate. A couple of godly youth ministers mentored me somewhat during early years in ministry, but it was much more pragmatic than pastoral / theological. I pray God's blessing on your studies and ministry.

Pastor Marsh,

Thank you so much for the response and sharing your experience sir!

I apologize for getting back to you late. Been really busy with work and such lately.

Judging from the amount of feedback I've gotten so far, I'm wondering if the case is just that not many have had the mentored experience, or if maybe there is just a lack of interest?

Not really sure, but this isn't the first time I've gotten virtually no response on the PB. Perhaps I will just sift through some of the older comments and see if I can find any similar experiences. The only thing I really see is debates between folks who think that strictly brick and mortar is the way to go versus some hybrid. Oh well, guess I will keep looking, no biggie. Maybe I would get more responses if I put up a post about supralapsarianism? (LOL!)...

Thanks again for your encouraging words sir...My prayers are for you and your congregation as well, that through the faithful proclamation of the word, Christ might be seen and experienced by many.

Craig

Craig,

I cannot speak for the mentored learning--I did all my time at Greenville on campus. However, if you would like, I can put you in touch with a dear friend of mine, who pastors an OPC congregation, and did the mentored learning from GPTS.

I will say that I don't think I would trade my on campus time for anything--but that being said, I: 1) was very involved in a local church where I could be mentored by a pastor; 2) I had been a Southern Baptist pastor before I became a Presbyterian. So, I had had "real world" experience too.

Hey Craig, I cannot speak to your opportunity directly, as I graduated from Covenant Seminary after three years on campus. But, after serving as a pastor for more than 30 years, I recognize the great gift it would be to actually study WITH a pastor and walk the walk with him. Grab it brother.

BTW, I am also ex-navy, CT2.

Craig, no problem. I understand (I served bi-vocationally for most of my ministry).

I can't speak for those outside the SBC, but it is very rare for those inside the SBC to be mentored very much -- at least in my experience. I say that as a PK and now in my 16th year as a minister. And among the very few men I know who were mentored, it was much more pragmatic in nature, at that (very much along the lines of what I had). Read a book or two and some selected articles about ministry (typically structure or praxis, not theology), discuss, and hear a few success/horror/funny moment stories from his ministry. Such an arrangement has its place, I am sure; I am very comfortable discussing pragmatic issues with other ministers and have consulted with congregations upon occasion.

However, what I longed for was someone to take me under his wing: help me to understand how he wrestled with biblical texts in preparing sermons, show me why he arrived at the conclusions he did, how he weighed application for the soul's good vs. mere moralizing, reason through tough biblical concepts/texts so as to get an idea of the application of his hermeneutic, etc. How I longed to be a fly on the wall in my Pastor's study some days. Thus, my advice to you: if such an arrangement is available in conjunction with regular seminary coursework, jump on it, learn from it, and praise God for his kind providence toward you!

I can say that, as a solo pastor of an aging and troubled church, at present it would be very difficult for me to mentor someone. I am still fairly young in full-time pastoral ministry myself and still learning a good deal each year. But if the Lord is ever gracious to entrust to me a man who is planning on entering eldership, I will do my best to mentor him in sound doctrine and shepherding souls. That's about all I can say in general terms right now.

Hope this helps! Thanks for your prayers. Grace to you.

Pastor Marsh,

Thank you so much for the response and sharing your experience sir!

I apologize for getting back to you late. Been really busy with work and such lately.

Judging from the amount of feedback I've gotten so far, I'm wondering if the case is just that not many have had the mentored experience, or if maybe there is just a lack of interest?

Not really sure, but this isn't the first time I've gotten virtually no response on the PB. Perhaps I will just sift through some of the older comments and see if I can find any similar experiences. The only thing I really see is debates between folks who think that strictly brick and mortar is the way to go versus some hybrid. Oh well, guess I will keep looking, no biggie. Maybe I would get more responses if I put up a post about supralapsarianism? (LOL!)...

Thanks again for your encouraging words sir...My prayers are for you and your congregation as well, that through the faithful proclamation of the word, Christ might be seen and experienced by many.

Craig

Pastor Marsh,

You've helped tremendously sir!

I crafted a response to you right after you posted your response to me. Something weird happens when I log onto the PB from certain computers. When I try to make a comment, sometimes it kicks me back to the login screen when I am already logged in.

Then, sometimes when I think a comment or PM hasn't gone through, it goes through anyway. I also have trouble trying to find the PM's that I have sent to others. Like I responded to a PM from Nick, and I am not sure if it went through or not.

At any rate, thank you again. You have given me a level of insight and encouragement that only comes through Christ, by the Spirit and from someone who has been there before. I will take it all to heart.

In Him,

Craig

Nick,

Thank you so much!!!

I did respond to you on PM about the information you sent, and I did recieve it. I am not sure if that info went through or not, so I will try to send it again if I can.

That contact information you gave me was precisely what I was looking for, and I will update you on how the interaction goes. Thank you.

In Him,

Craig

Curt,

Thanks for the encouragement! I visited Covenant a couple of months ago with a friend who will be starting there in January of next year. I was impressed with the seminary overall, and we had a wonderful time with some of the professors and students.

Let me take the opportunity to thank you for your service brother, and know that you always have a fellow praying shipmate on the PB!

In Him,

Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back