Michael Heiser's work on the Divine Council

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jacob I'm not even talking about his theological positions. He could be a practicing theosophist and still come to grips with what Scripture actually says about the foreknowledge of God. I'm talking about the reliability of his scholarship per these claims he makes about texts I am familiar with. I have not been impressed that it is careful or accurate. So I would not trust what he says about other texts that I don't have access to. I would want a more careful source.

I think it is more important to point this out because people who are overly impressed by scholarly credentials are enthusiastically accepting everything he says, including his views on God's foreknowledge and the doctrine of the atonement. But it's not really even a criticism of *those views*, it's about his claims regarding a text that says some things very clearly which he is not being careful with. Scholars ought to be careful with texts. Even if they disagree. And even if they have insights to bring to the table which we are benefited from listening to.

I'm talking about the reliability of his scholarship per these claims he makes about texts I am familiar with.

He has a PhD from one of the leading Semitic-language programs in the Western hemisphere. Granted, academia doesn't equal accuracy, as I have ridiculed the university system for much of the past 15 years, but it does mean his scholarship has passed peer review.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back