Michael Horton - A Systematic Theology for Pilgrim's on the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared

Puritan Board Freshman
I just received Michael Horton's Systematic Theology. I've been waiting months to start reading it. I'm looking forward to reading the sections on covenant theology because I haven't heard covenant theology taught very clearly. Usually I have heard someone's perspective on it who was not a covenant theologian.

I know it's unfair that I have his systematic theology before it came out. I'm sorry. The local Christian bookstore here in town tends to sell stuff before its release date. I'm not complaining.

Well then, give us a review within the next six days so we know whether or not to order a copy while it's still 45% off at Westminster Bookstore. I've been on the fence—to buy or not to buy—since their promo email arrived in my in-box this morning.

Update: It looks like you can still place orders but might not get the book until late February due to "overwhelming demand." I guess I snoozed and losed.

It looks like you can get it on Kindle right now. It's the same price as the hardback, though... Which is unusual for Kindle. Perhaps it will go down after the release.

I'm a bit put out by this statement: "The most important systematic theology since Louis Berkhof's 1932 magnum opus." Is that really a responsible thing for a publisher to say?

Well, I've been on the fence between classical premillenialism and amillenialism for a while now. But, I had still been leaning toward premillenialism. But through reading Horton's systematic, I think I might be leaning toward amillenialism a lee leetle more, but I'm still undecided.

Those of you who are familiar with Horton, do you think he's a good representative of covenant theology?

I believe that Horton holds to republication of the covenant of works, which, as I understand, is not representative of all who hold to the reformed confessions.

I'm a bit put out by this statement: "The most important systematic theology since Louis Berkhof's 1932 magnum opus." Is that really a responsible thing for a publisher to say?

Sounds like overblown marketing talk. Part hype and part an indication of what segment of the Christian market they hope to appeal to. You can learn some true things about what sort of book it is (in this case, that's it's likely to appeal to those raised on Berkhof) if you discount the part that's hype. Maybe ten years from now we'll be able to judge whether or not that statement is true. Given Horton's following, the book probably does have the potential to become what they claim.

Does anyone know whether or not it would be legal for me to post quotations from the book since it technically hasn't been released yet?

Nice try but I'm not falling for it, Jared. Lemme guess, you probably have the Verizon iPhone already too. Sure buddy. Whatever.

:lol:

Nice try but I'm not falling for it, Jared. Lemme guess, you probably have the Verizon iPhone already too. Sure buddy. Whatever.

Actually, I just have the iPhone 3GS from AT&T.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

I would say that using spiritual gifts on the forum is unconfessional and therefore a violation of the rules of the board. But since you got some of the details wrong that would make you a false prophet.

Well,I would really like to find out how Horton's book is,but I dont have Berkhof's yet, so I reckon now would be a time to order that and work through that,I should thank Horton's publisher for the recommendation.

I just received Michael Horton's Systematic Theology. I've been waiting months to start reading it. I'm looking forward to reading the sections on covenant theology because I haven't heard covenant theology taught very clearly. Usually I have heard someone's perspective on it who was not a covenant theologian.

I know it's unfair that I have his systematic theology before it came out. I'm sorry. The local Christian bookstore here in town tends to sell stuff before its release date. I'm not complaining.
Oh....is JB gonna hear it from me! I hope he does the same with Gregg Allison's Historical Theology

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

After I added a couple others to my order, it was cheaper for me to go with CBD. Maybe it will ship sooner than WTS Books will.

Well,I would really like to find out how Horton's book is,but I dont have Berkhof's yet, so I reckon now would be a time to order that and work through that,I should thank Horton's publisher for the recommendation.

CBD says this...

Prolific theologian Michael Horton's highly anticipated The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on The Way represents his magnum opus and will be viewed as one of-if not the-most important systematic theologies since the final volume of Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics

Absurd marketing makes my stomach turn sour.

So what you are saying Zondervan is that Douglas Kelly and Richard Gamble's Sys Theo's are worthless. Nice.

This ST is superior because it's got "Pilgrims" in the title. Those guys can't possible compete with that.

Of course, I'm not sure I'd want my magnum opus to be compared with Church Dogmatics ...

I am halfway through it on my Kindle and to be perfectly honest, I am finding it quite worth the price and beyond. He is a very brilliant theologian in In my humble opinion. If you don't like him then don't buy it. I believe as a tremendous asset to the reformed community and reformed thought, as well as a good brother in Christ, charity is in order.

I am halfway through it on my Kindle and to be perfectly honest, I am finding it quite worth the price and beyond. He is a very brilliant theologian in In my humble opinion. If you don't like him then don't buy it. I believe as a tremendous asset to the reformed community and reformed thought, as well as a good brother in Christ, charity is in order.

:amen: I don't have the book yet, but I will ask for it for my birthday in March. Ever since I came into the Reformed faith, Horton has been one of my favorite teachers. Seems like he's been getting quite a bit of flack lately, but I still maintain the utmost respect for him and consider him a favorite of mine.

I doubt you are saying this had anything to do with Horton concerning the marketing, but for the sake of this conversation, here is his remarks concerning those proclamations:
Some have compared your volume to Louis Berkoff’s Systematic Theology from 1932. Is that a fair comparison, at least in the pattern or design, of your project?

I didn’t come up with that comparison! I’ve used Berkhof for years and intend to continue to do so. It’s a marvelous compendium of doctrine. But basically, it’s a synopsis of Bavinck’s magisterial (and lengthy!) dogmatics. I wanted to spend more time fleshing out each topic by integrating biblical theology with historical and systematic theology. So each major topic begins with a development of the theme from promise to fulfillment. In addition, I try to show the significance of each doctrine for life and engage with contemporary writers outside the tradition—even non-Christians. My basic approach is this: Theology arises first of all out of the drama of redemption, from which certain doctrines emerge that generate doxology and shape our discipleship in the world. That’s the rubric I have in mind in each chapter: Drama, Doctrine, Doxology, and Discipleship.

This interview can be found here
Interview with Michael Horton on ‘The Christian Faith’ - TGC Reviews

No need to take that statement seriously. Remember, the publisher is peddling books - so it's his job to make outlandish statements! Somebody in the PR department probably dreamed that one up. I'll say, though, that Horton won't be as boring as Berkhof, that's for sure. Berkhof's theology is excellent, of course, but it's a real snoozefest to read...

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 AM ----------

CBD says this...

Prolific theologian Michael Horton's highly anticipated The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on The Way represents his magnum opus and will be viewed as one of-if not the-most important systematic theologies since the final volume of Karl Barth's Church Dogmatics

First, Berkhof, now Barth. Of course, given Barth's theology, it couldn't help but be better than Barth's. That's setting the bar pretty low!

I am currently reading it (bought the Kindle edition) - it is very good thus far. Warning: I've only ever read Grudem's Systematic Theology (and I have had a few issues with it, particularly his treatment on the millennium - but overall I found his work quite helpful for a lay-person such as myself).

Horton's work has a lots of overtones of Biblical and Historical Theology. His emphasis on Covenant Theology is apparent (I'm also reading his book "God of Promise: An Introduction to Covenant Theology"). It's easy to read, very engaging and while I haven't read Berkhof's work - I think it is a cut above Grudem's. I also appreciate the fact that Horton comes from a Confessional perspective.

He also deals with a lot of modern issues like the NPP in his chapter on Justification. So for that reason alone, it's nice to have a more up-to-date book. Again, by no means a comprehensive review(!) - but just a quick surface level examination on my part.

I'm glad I bought it.

Absurd marketing makes my stomach turn sour.

So what you are saying Zondervan is that Douglas Kelly and Richard Gamble's Sys Theo's are worthless. Nice.

Don't forget Reymond. Oh, and Bavinck, Turretin and a'Brakel were also published after Berkhof (in translation, of course). I wouldn't call Gamble a Systematic Theology, though. It is an attempt at an entire theological-encyclopedic treatment of Scripture, fully integrating ST, BT, and HT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back