Michael Horton - A Systematic Theology for Pilgrim's on the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absurd marketing makes my stomach turn sour.

So what you are saying Zondervan is that Douglas Kelly and Richard Gamble's Sys Theo's are worthless. Nice.

To be fair, neither Kelly or Gamble's are finished/published as of yet, so as far as that goes, they are not yet in the running. Also wouldn't it be more fair to compare those two to Bavinck instead of Berkhof? A one volume edition is not truly comparable to a three or four volume edition.

CT

Absurd marketing makes my stomach turn sour.

So what you are saying Zondervan is that Douglas Kelly and Richard Gamble's Sys Theo's are worthless. Nice.

Don't forget Reymond...

Speaking of Reymond, I'm curious to know how Horton's text will compare/differ with Reymond's.

Horton answers this himself: "Robert Reymond’s fine work explores the richness of Reformed theology, though I have some differences that I mention, mostly in a footnote here or there. But, like Reymond, I wanted to show how Reformed teaching holds together, not just on some topics (like sin and grace), but as an attempt to articulate the broader system of faith and practice."

See here

He gets flack for His view of Covenant Theology.

I'm young in my education regarding Covenant theology so I can't say rather I agree with him on this issue or not.
(In response to Andres' comment)

I think Reymond and Horton will also differ on these two issues:

1. Nature of biblical truth (Reymond tend more to Clark than Van Til)
2. Creation: Reymond upholds the historical view of 'in the space of six days'

I have Reymond's NST, am waiting for my copy of Horton's CF. Since it will take a while before I get it, I ask if the above two issues are discussed by Horton, and if so, how he differs from Reymond.

In my edition of Reymond (1998), he discusses 'the nature of biblical truth' on p.95etc.; and creation on pp.384 etc.

I just hope Zondervan did a better job of binding this one than they did with Grudem's. Though, that's not likely. If its anything like other Zondervan volumes I own, it'll fall apart with even moderate use.

It will be a while before I will be able to add this book to my library. But I have read the God of Promise several times, and am compelled to read it again.

I'm looking forward to reading the sections on covenant theology because I haven't heard covenant theology taught very clearly.

If you are looking for "clear" teaching on covenant theology (aka Covenant Theology 101) then you'll want to read GOD OF PROMISE: Introducing Covenant Theology, by Michael Horton. It's been mentioned a few times in this thread already! I've got it & love it.

I'm looking forward to reading the sections on covenant theology because I haven't heard covenant theology taught very clearly.

John Brown is the answer to this problem. See pp.61ff for the covenant of works, and pp. 87ff for the covenant of grace.

Interesting that in John Brown's description of the Covenant of Works, he sees God being gracious:

Q. What moved God to enter into this covenant ?—A. His own free favour and bounty, Job. vii. 17.

Q. How doth that appear 1—A. Because God as a Creator-might justly have exacted all the service man was capable of, without giving him any reward ; and, notwithstanding, punished him for disobedience, Luke xvii. 10.

Q. Was very much grace manifested in the covenant of works 1—A. Yes, very much free favour and bounty.

Q. How so 1—A. In God's not only promising to reward man's obedience ; but also in so framing this covenant, as to admit a covenant of grace, if it was broken.

Q. Why then is it not called a covenant of grace ?—A. Because there was far less grace manifested in it than is in the second covenant, Rom. v. 20, 21.

"Free favour" and "bounty" (above) are correlative to the term "condescension" (WCF).

God is "gracious," as part of his nature. But "undeserving" and "ill-deserving" are two different categories of "grace." "Grace" in its pure sense covers the latter in ways that make the former seem pale. We need precise language to differentiate between speeches concerning these two manners of receipt of God's kindness. They have different character.

Hence, we properly reserve "grace" to the conditions that obtain in post-lapsarian humanity, the "ill-desert" of our common lot. The previous covenant (of Works) has a different character.

Mine came today in book form as I had a gift to use. I have already read half on my Kindle. Very excited! Is everyone's book in gray-scale like mine? A little...um...gray

Here's one of my favorite quotes from the book so far:

God is love even when He judges; He is holy and righteous even in saving sinners; He is eternal even when He acts in time.
- Michael Horton, "The Christian Faith: A Systematic Theology for Pilgrims on the Way"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back