Microsoft warns of serious computer security hole

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds like if you don't run IE, you should be fine. Do you run malwarebytes or something similar in conjunction with your antivirus?

Do you also run the windows updates regularly? Microsoft will eventually come up with a patch. In the meantime, avoid Explorer.

ActiveX was a failed attempt by Microsoft to compete against Java on the web. And though ActiveX failed, Java lives on, but not so much on the web.

Anyway, Java developers were intelligent enough to keep Java apps in a "sandbox" of such that made it far more secure and incapable of code that could harm your system. Microsoft wanted to flex their monopolistic muscles by allowing ActiveX to interact more closely with the OS, intending to create a grip on the Internet by making people need Windows (Active X only works in IE, there are plugins I think to make it work in Firefox, but even then it only works in Windows). In other words, they were intending to make it so you needed Windows to view a website correctly (if it employed ActiveX).

All this to say that the safe bet is going into IE, Internet Options, and find where you can disable ActiveX ALWAYS, and then just use another browser (as has been recommended). Unfortunately, there might be some websites that require IE (like Outlook Web Access, ugh). Additionally, I think you need ActiveX to install Windows Updates. Funny, the very technology MS uses to upgrade the operating system is the same technology that is vulnerable.

ActiveX was a failed attempt by Microsoft to compete against Java on the web. And though ActiveX failed, Java lives on, but not so much on the web.

Anyway, Java developers were intelligent enough to keep Java apps in a "sandbox" of such that made it far more secure and incapable of code that could harm your system. Microsoft wanted to flex their monopolistic muscles by allowing ActiveX to interact more closely with the OS, intending to create a grip on the Internet by making people need Windows (Active X only works in IE, there are plugins I think to make it work in Firefox, but even then it only works in Windows). In other words, they were intending to make it so you needed Windows to view a website correctly (if it employed ActiveX).

All this to say that the safe bet is going into IE, Internet Options, and find where you can disable ActiveX ALWAYS, and then just use another browser (as has been recommended). Unfortunately, there might be some websites that require IE (like Outlook Web Access, ugh). Additionally, I think you need ActiveX to install Windows Updates. Funny, the very technology MS uses to upgrade the operating system is the same technology that is vulnerable.

I have had Outlook Web Access work in Firefox with the "light" version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back