Milennial Views in the USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JonathonHunt

Dear All

I hope not to start a war with this. I am curious as to what milennial views are held in the USA. In the UK, for example, Reformed Baptists are largely amillennial, as are the majority of true christians who express a view. Among new-evangelical and charismatic churches certain views promoted by the 'left Behind' series are gaining ground.

I get the impression that USA Baptists are largely Pre-Milennial and more often than not dispensational. Correct?

What about the 'Reformed' Presbyterians on this board? I am aware of a USA Presbyterian site that is very strongly postmilennial, but I have detected anti-postmilennial sentiments from Presbyterians on this site.

This is not to start a debate about the merits of the various eschatologies, but more of a request for a perspective on who believes what.

All answers appreciated!

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by JonathanHunt]

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by JonathanHunt]

Dispensational premilennialism is the most popular in the US, I'm not sure if it is the majority though.

In the reformed community, I'd say amilennialism is the majority view, with historic premilennialism and postmilennialism competeing for second.

I am amillennial, I moved from a historic premilennial position. The desiding factor for me was when I realized that the scriptures do not allow for a 1000 year period between the coming of Christ and the eternal kingdom, i.e. new heavens and new earth.

I am still working through some issues, but, honestly, I don't spend alot of time studing eschatology.

blessings,
Terry :)

[quote:ab3c335151][i:ab3c335151]Originally posted by JonathanHunt[/i:ab3c335151]
Dear All

I hope not to start a war with this. I am curious as to what millennial views are held in the USA. In the UK, for example, Reformed Baptists are largely Amillennial, as are the majority of true christians who express a view. Among new-evangelical and charismatic churches certain views promoted by the 'left Behind' series are gaining ground.

I get the impression that USA Baptists are largely Pre-Millennial and more often than not dispensational. Correct?

What about the 'Reformed' Presbyterians on this board? I am aware of a USA Presbyterian site that is very strongly postmillennial, but I have detected anti-postmillennial sentiments from Presbyterians on this site.

This is not to start a debate about the merits of the various eschatologies, but more of a request for a perspective on who believes what.

All answers appreciated!

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by JonathanHunt] [/quote:ab3c335151]

You are correct on all accounts. Most reformed are either amillennial or postmillennial. I have found that most are optomistic amillennial in that they believe their is a progression in the Kingdom.

The amillennial is gaining amoung evangelicals and Baptist (i.e. Hank Hanegraff).

Terry

[quote:939aba147b][i:939aba147b]Originally posted by terry72[/i:939aba147b]

In the reformed community, I'd say amilennialism is the majority view, with historic premilennialism and postmilennialism competeing for second.

I am amillennial, I moved from a historic premilennial position

I am still working through some issues, but, honestly, I don't spend alot of time studing eschatology.

blessings,
Terry :) [/quote:939aba147b]

Wow. I'm suprised that Amil is the majority view among reformed people. I think perhaps I've been reading a false sample of websites!

I always have been amillennial, but I didn't know I was for ages. In fact, I was really shocked when I found out that there were other views... but that's another story.

I have to agree about spending time on eschatology. A wise man advised me to spend time studying the position I hold and to be sure of it, rather than spending ages looking at all the others. There's so much more to be studying and working on! (This is not an anti-intellectual rant!)

Jonathan

[quote:0291fd8542][i:0291fd8542]Originally posted by JonathanHunt[/i:0291fd8542]
Terry

[quote:0291fd8542][i:0291fd8542]Originally posted by terry72[/i:0291fd8542]

I am amillennial, I moved from a historic premilennial position

blessings,
Terry :) [/quote:0291fd8542]

Wow. I'm suprised that Amil is the majority view among reformed people. I think perhaps I've been reading a false sample of websites!Jonathan [/quote:0291fd8542]

Most of my sample would be amoung Presbyterians, but I know that many reformed Baptist are amil also.

As far as the sample of websites, American Christianity in the 18th and 19th century was more Postmil than today. Perhaps you are reading writings from that period.

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by raderag]

Many Reformed Baptists here that I know side with Spurgeon and are Historic Premil. But I do think that most RB churches are Amil.

I was dispensantional for years, growing up in a Southern Baptist church, but now I am definitely historic premil. In fact, my eschatology was the last remnant of dispensationalism that I cast off. Free at last!

Phillip

[Edited on 3-10-04 by pastorway]

[quote:42f67ee6ed][i:42f67ee6ed]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:42f67ee6ed]
Many Reformed Baptists here that I know side with Spurgeon and are Historic Premil. But I do think that most RB churches are Amil.

I was dispensantional for years, growing up in a Southern Baptist church, but now I am definitely historic premil. In fact, my eschatology was the last remnant of dispensationalism that I cast off. Free at last!

Phillip

[Edited on 3-10-04 by pastorway] [/quote:42f67ee6ed]

Can you point me to something that addresses some of the common problems with the premill position from a historicist position.

I recommend [i:62f0ccd9ec]The Meaning of the Millennium[/i:62f0ccd9ec], edited by Robert Clouse. In it, four writers present four views (postmil, amil, Dispensational premil, historic premil) and then get to critique each others views. So each view gets presented and then rebutted by each of the other views.

George Ladd presents for the histroric premil, Herman Hoyt presents the Dispensational position, Loraine Boettner the postmil, and Anthony Hoekema the amil position.

Phillip

[quote:652d0eea3a][i:652d0eea3a]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:652d0eea3a]
I recommend [i:652d0eea3a]The Meaning of the Millennium[/i:652d0eea3a], edited by Robert Clouse. In it, four writers present four views (postmil, amil, Dispensational premil, historic premil) and then get to critique each others views. So each view gets presented and then rebutted by each of the other views.

George Ladd presents for the histroric premil, Herman Hoyt presents the Dispensational position, Loraine Boettner the postmil, and Anthony Hoekema the amil position.

Phillip [/quote:652d0eea3a]

Great, the four view of eternal security was a Great book. The reformed view was written by M Horton, and the "moderate Calvinist" view by Dr. Geisler.

[quote:52746115ed][i:52746115ed]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:52746115ed]

Phillip

[Edited on 3-10-04 by pastorway] [/quote:52746115ed]

I have one more question. Which Bible hermeneutic is more prevalent in this position? Literal historical-grammatical, NT interprets OT?
Is apocalyptic language mostly figurative or considered symbolically literal? (esp Rev 20)

[quote:bfe50086ca][i:bfe50086ca]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:bfe50086ca]
Many Reformed Baptists here that I know side with Spurgeon and are Historic Premil.

[Edited on 3-10-04 by pastorway] [/quote:bfe50086ca]

Interesting. The current Pastor of the Metropolitan Tabernacle is not convinced that CHS was historic pre-mil. I personally think that its hard to discern his milennial position. You can pull some quotes out that seem to go one way, and then you can find others which don't.

Shame CHS didn't write a systematic theology or something!

Had CH Spurgeon held a strong view of premillenialism, he would not be able to preach a large proportion of the sermons that he did whilst at the Metropolitan Tabernacle. Check out his sermons...
http://www.spurgeon.org/index/r_re.htm

From what I've observed, premill seems to emphasise a fair bit of the hope to come (during the Lord's 1000yr reign), whereas the amill tends to lament about the state of the world. Well, aren't they both true? (to some extent...)

What about the Bible-Presbyterians? Are they quite big in USA? They are historical premill, right?

Jenson

[quote:bbd792695f][i:bbd792695f]Originally posted by JonathanHunt[/i:bbd792695f]

I get the impression that USA Baptists are largely Pre-Milennial and more often than not dispensational. Correct?
[/quote:bbd792695f]

You are probably right, but then again there are countless Baptist denoms here.

And the majority of "non- denominational" churches are closet Baptists. allbeit dispensational and premillennial/

As for me, I never really gave it too much thought. I guess I am amil.

[Edited on 3-12-2004 by A_Wild_Boar]

I think that the arguments for Spurgeon being pre-mil (presented at the hyper-link above) are compelling. Although I would say that his eschatology is not easy to 'pigeon-hole' at all. There are sooo many variations!

So, Spurgeon was pre-mil. Well, even great men make mistakes... :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back