Missing church a sin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReformedWretch

Puritan Board Doctor
I am trying to show (on another board) how missing church can be a sin. I am not certain that my argument is as strong as it could/should be. Can my brothers here lend me some advice?

Here is what I have so far.

Matthew 6:33 "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

Are we seeking the Kingdom FIRST by missing church?

Colossians 3:2 Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth.

Are we setting our mind on things above if we miss church?

Luke 14:26 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple.

Should others things/people come before church (short of an emergency that is as we are told to take care of our famalies).

Hebrews 10:25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as [is] the manner of some, but exhorting [one another,] and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.

Of course that is the verse that we all assume is talking abut Church.

Forsaken here DOES NOT mean abandon completely. It's the same "forsaken" that Christ asked the Father why He had done it to him.

Matthew 27:46 And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani?" that is, "My God, My God, why have You forsaken Me?"

We know the Father did not abandon Christ forever.

We are comanded by Christ to keep the Lords Supper

1 Corinthians 11:2 Now I praise you, brethren, that you remember me in all things and keep the traditions just as I delivered [them] to you.

23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the [same] night in which He was betrayed took bread;
24 and when He had given thanks, He broke [it] and said, "Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me."
25 In the same manner [He] also [took] the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink [it,] in remembrance of Me."

We are comanded to give support to the church.

1 Corinthians 16:1 Now concerning the collection for the saints, as I have given orders to the churches of Galatia, so you must do also:
2 On the first [day] of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come.

It seems that we are to follow the disciples example of meeting frequently.

Acts 2:42 And they continued steadfastly in the apostles' doctrine and fellowship, in the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

I think we have to be careful here! Of course missing for legitimate reasons, or being in between churches because we have been hurt (but we are honestly LOOKING) is ok. But missing willfully for selfish reasons HAS to be sin.

Hebrews 10:26 For if we sin willfully after we have received the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins,

We are to never sin willfully...meaning knowing full well what we are planning is sinful, being convicted of it, and yet still doing it and doing it frequently, still KNOWING it is sin.

One point you might add:

The sabbath is a day of "holy convocation" (i.e., a "calling together to a meeting").

Lev 23:3 - Six days shall work be done: but the seventh day is the sabbath of rest, [b:c0cdfca593]an holy convocation[/b:c0cdfca593]; ye shall do no work therein: it is the sabbath of the LORD in all your dwellings.

To not meet with God's people in "holy convocation" on the Lord's Day when one is not providentially hindered, would be to break the sabbath.

Let me know what you think of my break down of this passage. (Keep inmind I am debating with someone who says missing Church is no big deal)

23 Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised;)
24 And let us consider one another to provoke unto love and to good works:

We are being told what to do here. Hold fast to our profession of FAITH without wavering.

THEN we are told HOW to do that. We are to think of each other and PROVOKE one another to love and good works.

Now you tell me....how do we do that? You, in this topic are provoking me to miss church on ocasion because it wouldn't be a sin. You are provoking me to believe that not having a strong desire to NOT miss church is ok and I shouldn't get so worked up about it.

I am provoking you to never miss church if at all possible. I am provoking you to take church more serious than anything.

Which of these are more likely to cause love and good works? The causual feeling towards church attendance where this board and maybe even a phone call discussiing biblical opinions will do? Or meeting face to face where the GOAL is worship, praise, and learning?

25 Not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another: and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching.

Here the "how" is explained! We don't have room to debate HOW to provoke one another to love and good works! We're told HOW to do it! We're first told how we lose the ability to provoke one another to love and good works and that is FORSAKING the assembly. Now what is another name for church? Is it not the assembly?!

Here this verse even tells us that SOME in the body of Christ do indeed do this,and it is WRONG, we should NOT follow their example.

v. ex·hort·ed, ex·hort·ing, ex·horts
v. tr.

To urge by strong, often stirring argument, admonition, advice, or appeal

This is what we are to do within the assembly! This is what will provoke to love and good works. This passage even tells us to REALLY lay it on one another the closer we get to the Lords return.

Now, that all being said...can you possibly still believe that missing church, or saying this board, or some other board, or talking to a few Christian friends at a restaraunt is "good enough"?

I argue that our church services are hardly good enough! Are you provoked to love and good works? Is the appeal made stronger each time you go? Do you feel the urgency of the NEED getting stronger as the return of the Lord draws closer? And even if you DO...how then can you say it would not be sinful to purposely MISS such a thing?

Adam,
The 'gathering' spoken of in the book of Hebrews relates to the gathering of the [i:ca3cd21da5]church[/i:ca3cd21da5], not a message board. One of the fruits of being saved is the desire to gather with the church, i.e. Gods people on the Lords day.

Prov 13:4 The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.

Message boards are not churches. The church is the bride of Christ. This message board is not the bride.

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

I believe you should attack the premise that the message board is the church; it is not, and cannot theologically be seen as such. Based upon that, it is not a replacement for the [i:ca3cd21da5]gathering[/i:ca3cd21da5] spoken of by the writer of Hebrews.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back