Mississippi’s New Flag

Status
Not open for further replies.
Confederate Flag gone today, voting Democrat tomorrow. Just look at my Georgia right now. We removed our heritage from our flag back when I was in elementary school. Now, less than two decades later, our state is on the cusp of giving 16 electoral votes to a baby-slaughtering communist.
To me this indicates that a lot of southern allegiance to Christian values is bound up in an affinity for the past and not Christianity for its own sake. There may be a historical connection between the confederacy and southern Christianity, but there is no necessary logical connection between a flag from a war 160 years ago fought in large part to defend the institution of slavery and obedience to the law of God in not killing babies. Northern conservatives were on the other side of that war and we hate abortion too.

To me this indicates that a lot of southern allegiance to Christian values is bound up in an affinity for the past and not Christianity for its own sake. There may be a historical connection between the confederacy and southern Christianity, but there is no necessary logical connection between a flag from a war 160 years ago fought in large part to defend the institution of slavery and obedience to the law of God in not killing babies. Northern conservatives were on the other side of that war and we hate abortion too.
No sentimentalism here. I’m just pointing out something that, in my mind, is absolutely not coincidence, especially when one considers the target of singular rage from people today—Confederate men. Dabney foresaw the coming effects of the War with startlingly accurate clarity. I’m just simply agreeing with him.

Just a thought from someone living in the hellish Southern reality of an ever-encroaching liberalism that comes virtually solely from the North, Northern dissenters notwithstanding.

[Moderator]
Let's respect the OP request to keep things on topic and light-hearted. New posts straying from that request will be deleted.
[/Moderator]

In many cases, you may know what these states' flags look like without needing to have the pictures posted, which is one test of a flag that works. They've become a true symbol for that state.

Which is why Mississippi should have gone with something like this. It is simple; an elegant depiction of the state bird surrounded by a wreath of stars.

03mississippi-flag-mosquito-mobileMasterAt3x.jpg

Point taken, if it were green.

Counterpoint:
Obi-Wan Kenobi: "That's no moon."
I appreciated Zack's observation that (if I read him right) the South Carolina standard it looks like it could be the flag for Gilligan's Island. One could do worse, though. Many have.

I really don't have an issue with the Union Jack on Hawaii's flag. What really irks me is the stripe pattern. The top stripe is white (a definite no-no) and there is no third blue stripe to complete the pattern.

wPjZys.gif
There are eight stripes. One for each island large enough to be visible on t-shirts and gadgets sold to crispy red tourists.

The Mississippi flag is not bad, minus the yellow stripes.

Alaska is my favorite of all the states where I've lived -- the big dipper and north star with a night-dark blue background. I still think Georgia should have put Uga on her flag!

I like the concept, because I think a magnolia blossom has potential to be iconic, but from a graphic design point of view and a vexollogical point of view, this is like a first draft concept that was not edited and thus it loses its potential power. I would have EITHER kept the stars or the flower, and since flower is more unique, would have gone with the flower AND made it more abstract and point on rather than an artsy side view. (For example, South Carolina also has a plant but it does it simply to make that the main part and SC is one of those flags always flown; Arizona went even more abstract with the sun, but it works in that regard. And Hong Kong actually has a flower flag that is simple but unique.) For this, one may have also reconsidered the number of colors. A good flag can be one that the average person can ID/draw from memory. This doesn't have that staying power in my opinion. This is why flags should not be crowdsourced and committeed by people who aren't skilled graphic designers. It's now a so-so flag, when it had potential to be an AWESOME flag if executed well.

For the nerds out there: Good Flag, Bad Flag

I would grade this not as necessarily a bad flag, but it's a meh flag...that's not really good either.

Overall I think the new Mississippi flag is beautiful. I am okay with the flag being more complex and cleaner than a design winner from a 5th grade art contest (ex. Illinois).

It is a good representation of our state historically and looks better flying than the internet photos can show. I could certainly be proud of and could fight behind it if called.

To others point, I could easily draw a version of this flag from memory and that says a lot considering the newness. I like the small details because there are not too many and this fights against flags that come across as overly simplistic “branding”.

However, as this thread shows, it ultimately comes down to relative opinions. “I like this” or “I don’t like that”.

I conclude with this, we caertainly should no longer be considered as having the ugliest flag and we could even be a contender for top 10 in my not so humble opinion.

I conclude with this, we caertainly should no longer be considered as having the ugliest flag
The issue was never that the flag was ugly. It wasn't. The issue was that it was "Racist!" Putting that aside, the old flag had all the elements of good flag design.

21unrest-mississippi-SWAP-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

I understand that to have been the view of many progressives. I certainly did not view it that way personally. But I know for many of my Mississippi neighbors and many black brother/sisters in Christ, it was difficult for them to embrace and served as more of a painful memory. Being that the old flag is not a matter or moral necessity, I am happy to lay aside any of my pride in Mississippi history and heritage if it removes a stumbling block not only for my fellow Mississippi neighbors but be also for fellow black Christians. To be clear I do have lines in the sand that I would divide over, but it’s not worth devision to stand for the old flag in my opinion.

We should also respect the will of the people who are actual Mississippians. Our majority elected officials made the decision and even consulted with the church. Further the new flag was approved by over 70% majority vote.

Pastor Chris, I do not say any of this to argue, but rather to inform where my own conscience has landed. I have enjoyed this thread so far and the flag design discussions. Thankfully as Christians our ultimate and undebatable banner is the garment of Christ.

Last edited:
I understand that to have been the view of many progressives. I certainly did not view it that way personally. But I know for many of my Mississippi neighbors and many black brother/sisters in Christ, it was difficult for them to embrace and served as more of a painful memory. Being that the old flag is not a matter or moral necessity, I am happy to lay aside any of my pride in Mississippi history and heritage if it removes a stumbling block not only for my fellow Mississippi neighbors but be also for fellow black Christians. To be clear I do have lines in the sand that I would divide over, but it’s not worth devision to stand for the old flag in my opinion.

We should also respect the will of the people who are actual Mississippians. Our majority elected officials made the decision and even consulted with the church. Further the new flag was approved by over 70% majority vote.

Pastor Chris, I do not say any of this to argue, but rather to inform where my own conscience has landed.
You've made these points several times. I don't think I've said anything to critical of your position. My last point was only to take issue with saying the previous flag was ugly.

I think it would have been wise to show continuity with the old flag. Some admirable attempts to do that were put forward. The 2001 proposal was a good attempt to remove what was seen as offensive while still retaining the same basic design:

1920px-Flag_of_Mississippi_%282001_proposal%29.svg.png

The Bicentennial Flag does this as well, but in line with @Jack K earlier comments, it simply copies and pastes the state seal onto the flag which involves too many colors, too much lettering, and too much detail. The basic design would work with a perhaps a simplified, mono color image of the heraldic eagle.

1920px-Bicentennial_Banner_of_Mississippi.svg.png

I think it would have been wise to show continuity with the old flag. Some admirable attempts to do that were put forward. The 2001 proposal was a good attempt to remove what was seen as offensive while still retaining the same basic design:

1920px-Flag_of_Mississippi_%282001_proposal%29.svg.png

The Bicentennial Flag does this as well, but in line with @Jack K earlier comments, it simply copies and pastes the state seal onto the flag which involves too many colors, too much lettering, and too much detail. The basic design would work with a perhaps a simplified, mono color image of the heraldic eagle.

1920px-Bicentennial_Banner_of_Mississippi.svg.png
What are your thoughts on the river flag I posted up thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back