MLB Trade Deadline Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be surprised to see Griffey end his career outside of Cincinnati.

Why would the Mets want Ian Snell? They can have him.

Jason Bay? Hmm... what would the Expos have done in this situation?

Supposedly...

Jason Bay Traded To Rays

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 2:11pm CST]

MLB.com's Bill Chastain with the scoop - the Rays have acquired Jason Bay for Reid Brignac and Jeff Niemann. The Rays haven't confirmed it yet though. I wonder if Bay would DH for the Rays.

Will we see a Jack Wilson trade next, or will that wait until the offseason? Brignac, 22, is hitting .257/.304/.429 in 91 Triple A games. He probably isn't ready yet.

Niemann, 25, has a 3.53 ERA in 18 Triple A starts this year. He'll probably go straight into the Pirates' rotation.
Full Story | Comments (8) | Categories: Jason Bay | Jeff Niemann | Pittsburgh Pirates | Reid Brignac | Tampa Bay Rays

Supposedly...

Jason Bay Traded To Rays

By Tim Dierkes [July 31 at 2:11pm CST]

MLB.com's Bill Chastain with the scoop - the Rays have acquired Jason Bay for Reid Brignac and Jeff Niemann. The Rays haven't confirmed it yet though. I wonder if Bay would DH for the Rays.

Will we see a Jack Wilson trade next, or will that wait until the offseason? Brignac, 22, is hitting .257/.304/.429 in 91 Triple A games. He probably isn't ready yet.

Niemann, 25, has a 3.53 ERA in 18 Triple A starts this year. He'll probably go straight into the Pirates' rotation.
Full Story | Comments (8) | Categories: Jason Bay | Jeff Niemann | Pittsburgh Pirates | Reid Brignac | Tampa Bay Rays

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHH! I traded Adam Dunn on my NL-only fantasy team b/c I thought he was going to be traded to the AL. The guy kept asking for Bay but I didn't want to give him up. Now this.

:mad:

Oh, and Jack Wilson is on my team as well. But no great loss there if he is traded away...

Updated 3:49 p.m.: Manny trade talks back on?

The Rays' pursuit of Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is off "unless a miracle happens," according to a source close to the negotiations.

Whether that means the three-way Manny Ramirez blockbuster is back on remains to be seen.

A source with one of the clubs said that the trade was still dead in the minutes leading to Thursday's 4 p.m. ET non-waiver deadline.

The Pirates have been talking with other teams about Bay as well.

As of 1:30 p.m. ET, the Ramirez trade was "dead," according to an executive with one of the three teams involved in the discussions.

However, the deal has taken numerous twists and turns over the past 24 hours, and the teams kept trying to piece together the blockbuster.

In the initial proposed trade, the Marlins were to trade outfielder Jeremy Hermida and a prospect for Ramirez, and the Red Sox then would flip Hermida and prospects to the Pirates for Bay.

The Pirates' return for Bay, sources say, was the apparent holdup in the deal. The Pirates are seeking an "appropriate return for an All-Star caliber left fielder" — and one who is affordable at $5.75 million this season and $7.5 million in 2009.

To read the rest of this story, click here.

Manny traded to Dodgers, Bay headed to Boston

By Jon Heyman, SI.com

The Red Sox traded embattled slugger Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers late Thursday afternoon, SI.com has learned.

Jason Bay is headed to Boston as part of the deal, SI.com has learned. The Pirates will get four minor leaguers in the three-way trade.

The Red Sox went back-and-forth with the Marlins and Dodgers as the 4 p.m. ET deadline approached. Ramirez said earlier today, as first reported by SI.com, that he would accept a trade to any team.

The announcement will be made in conjunction with a World Baseball Classic announcement at Dodger Stadium shortly.

The club options on Ramirez's contract for $20 million each in both 2009 and '10 were dropped.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/manny-to-dodger.html

Updated 4:28 p.m.: Manny traded to Dodgers

Manny Ramirez has been traded to the Dodgers in a three-team blockbuster, pending the approval of the commissioner's office, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

Pirates outfielder Jason Bay is headed to the Red Sox. The Pirates will receive Andy LaRoche and right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Brandon Moss and releiver Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.

The Red Sox will pay all of the approximately $7 million remaining on Ramirez's contract.

Last edited:
I think JBay will do well in Beantown. Most of his Home Runs are of the Long Fly ball to Left Field variety which is perfect for the Green Monster. He is also unflappable so he'll handle the pressure well I believe.

It was disappointing to see such a stellar outfield get broken up, but honestly I am not too upset with the deal Neal Huntington made. Is it rebuilding again? Yes, but we still have impact players and promising prospects now and could possibly (if we continue to lose) gain some good draft picks.

Now the Yankees? Well they may just make the most of their last season in Yankee Stadium.

"Baseball Tonight" spoke favorably of what the Pirates got in the deal. Maybe they will be next years Tampa Bay!

As for the Red Sox, they may survive because they have no more games against the Angels, while the Yanks have 7 or 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back