MMA April

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
April 5: The Ultimate Fighter 5 Begins - BJ Penn and Jen Pulver coaching 16 lightweights

April 5: UFC Fight Night 9 - Joe Stevenson vs. Melvin Guillard
- Kenny Florian vs. Dokonjonosuke Mishima

April 7: UFC 69 Shootout - Georges St. Pierre vs. Matt Serra
- Diego Sanchez vs. Josh Koscheck

April 8: Pride In Japan

April 14: BodogFight - Fedor Emelianenko vs. Matt Lindland

April 21: UFC 70 In England - Michael Bisping vs. Elvis Sinosic

April 21: StrikeForce On Showtime

April 21: Cage Rage 21 judgment Day

April 28: Pride In USA

Wow, a lot of MMA going on in April! I can't wait!

We have to be a little careful here with MMA topics, because it has caused some division on the Board in previous discussions, as some of our brothers believe it is ungodly and unfit for our consumption. I don't fault them at all for that opinion, as it is definitely reasonable.

I, personally, am a big fan, but partially because I own a fight gym so in a way its my life. I've had several of the UFC guys train at our gym, like Seth Petruzzelli, Luigi Fioravanti, Danny Abbadi (he still trains with us on occassion).

Last week I had Ramon Dekkers (world famous Muay Thai guy) come to our gym since he was in town for a seminar. I was lucky enough to have lunch with him (yes, shameless name-dropping), and he was a heck of a nice guy.

I'm pumped to see Serra and GSP fight, but I can't imagine how Serra will win. GSP is simply an incredible athlete!

I really enjoy watching them, but don't really read up on the whole business. Are they merging PRIDE and UFC, or will there just be more fighter cross-over?

Is Liddell ever going to fight Wanderlei?

A lot of details are up in the air right now but it looks like cross over fights will happen sometime next year [I just read that.] Liddell vs. Wanderlei was mentioned, but after his two loses via KO, who knows. I'd like to see Shogun vs. Liddell. Now that would be a fight.

I can't believe Matt is fighting Fedor!

Once again, this is just coming from someone who typically rents UFC pay per views and watches the reality show when its on, so definitely not an MMA-head (whenever I type MMA I think Ecstacy for some reason):

Is/was PRIDE a tougher "league" or "contest" than UFC when they were separate, like over the past five years? I have a friend who trains and swears that UFC is like the marketable American version, but I also know he's one of those people that is typically in to whatever isn't "mainstream", because it makes him feel different.

Could Liddell compete at the same level in PRIDE? Are they roughly equal, or is there a significant difference?

Once again, this is just coming from someone who typically rents UFC pay per views and watches the reality show when its on, so definitely not an MMA-head (whenever I type MMA I think Ecstacy for some reason):

I am. I've trained and cornered mma fighters.

Is/was PRIDE a tougher "league" or "contest" than UFC when they were separate, like over the past five years?

Not tougher, but different rules.

Pride has 10min rounds, UFC has 5.
Pride allows knees on the ground, UFC does not.
Pride allows you to kick a person in the head when they're down, UFC does not.
Pride uses a ring, UFC uses a cage.

A few other tiny things, but those are the biggies.

I have a friend who trains and swears that UFC is like the marketable American version, but I also know he's one of those people that is typically in to whatever isn't "mainstream", because it makes him feel different.

UFC seems to gear it's rules to boxing and wrestling so sure, Americans like it, Iowa has a huge MMA following and takedowns seem to score well with US judges. The Japanese like to see submissions. Both events are good.

Could Liddell compete at the same level in PRIDE? Are they roughly equal, or is there a significant difference?

in my opinion, no. Liddell already lost to Rampage in Pride, Rampage has lost to Wanderlei twice by KO, Wanderlei just lost to CroCop and Henderson by KO and both CroCop [over 205lbs] and Wanderlei [Chuck's weight] would beat him...but this is in my opinion.

Have you seen Fedor fight? The guy is simply amazing!

highlights

j

I knew about the rounds/rules thing, I just don't watch enough PRIDE to judge the talent level. So you're saying that, all things considered, the talent levels between the two organizations are roughly similar?

Have you ever fought MMA, or do you just train and what not?

Its something I've always thought about dabbling in just to get a better feel for submissions and practical fight situations, but never had the time to do; that, and I'm an uber-hypochondriac, and know some of the people at a local gym, and would be very leery about exchanging blood with any of them.

I am training with Danny Dring who promotes and trains ameteur MMA fights and fighters. He is awesome.

I knew about the rounds/rules thing, I just don't watch enough PRIDE to judge the talent level. So you're saying that, all things considered, the talent levels between the two organizations are roughly similar?

in my opinion, Pride has the better fighters.

Have you ever fought MMA, or do you just train and what not?

Never fought mma. I did bare knuckle full contact [knock down] karate before I was saved along with some judo and wrestling, mma was going to be the next step. It's kind of a long story but after I came to faith in Christ I struggled with the idea of taking part in martial arts and fighting in general. Not that it's against the faith, just that it's too consuming. A fighter lives his life around three 5 min. rounds every 3 months or so, his whole focus is on those three rounds, I just couldn't/can't do it. Since I became a Christian I've started a family, just don't have the time any more. I still train, my brother has fought and a deacon in my church is turning pro in a couple of weeks. I had a dojo up and running and that lasted 3 years, we did traditional karate with knockdown rules, kyokushin style. We folded after a drop in members, I shaw it as my chance to get out and focus on my children, so I took it. The guys always joke about getting me in the ring, I still roll with them and hold my own even when they train 5 days a week and I show twice a week. My brother is looking to get back in the ring after a couple of year lay-off so I'll be in his corner and doing most of his training.

Its something I've always thought about dabbling in just to get a better feel for submissions and practical fight situations, but never had the time to do; that, and I'm an uber-hypochondriac, and know some of the people at a local gym, and would be very leery about exchanging blood with any of them.

:rofl:

It's not for everyone.

j

Well, GSP was ko'ed on the weekend and we have the big fight with Fedor and Matt coming up this weekend.

What do you think, another upset?

j

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back