Mma?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
Are we not allowed to discuss MMA on this forum? I posted a thread that is now MIA.

j

Originally Posted by Reluctantly Reforming
So what is it, so I can be sure not to talk about it?

Exactly. I agree. What is it? I googled MMA and all I found was stuff about Martial Arts.

For informational purposes:

1. There have been a much higher rate of deaths in boxing than in ultimate fighting. According to statistics, boxing averages roughly 11 deaths per year (see “boxing deaths” in other resources section). In an unsanctioned ultimate fighting bout outside of the US there has been one recorded death that was related to ultimate fighting. This has been the only fatality ever recorded regarding ultimate fighting.

2. Even American football has more deaths per year than ultimate fighting (see “football deaths” in extra resources).

3. Ultimate fighting provides the “face saving” ability to say “uncle” by “tapping out.” In boxing a fighter has one of three options available: either win, go unconscious or have “the towel thrown in.” Usually the last two options can cause a great deal of brain trauma not to mention superficial injuries.

4. The gloves in ultimate fighting are designed to protect the hand. In boxing the gloves are designed to protect the opponent from serious injury. Oddly enough this seems to have the counter effect. The gloves in ultimate fighting allow for quick knockouts and superficial injuries thereby decreasing overall strikes to the head. The gloves in boxing tend to allow for more “jarring of the brain” over time thereby producing a greater amount of strikes to the head. This can of course, lead have a great many long term repercussions (see “long term” in extra resources).

5. Ultimate fighting rounds are shorter and the officials are very aggressive. Because of the lack of padding and the greater amount of options available to the fighters (relative to boxing), officials will have to frequently, aggressively end fights to prevent further severe injury.

Is Ultimate Fighting Safer Than Boxing? - Associated Content

Mixed Martial Arts

Do we need a Reformed angle to talk about any other sport?

Ok, I'm done. Last post in this thread.

The purpose of the thread was to establish if MMA was a valid topic; mission successful. We're all on the same page now: MMA is down for the count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back