Mobile Education (Logos)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpeters

Puritan Board Freshman
Really this could be put in either the seminary section or technology, but I decided it best to put it here. I have been saying for awhile logos is changing the game in how we view Bible Software. Mobile Education is another example. It has the possibility for churches to develop their own in hour seminary that is tailored to the students. I am not a big fan of the classically brick and mortar seminary because it tends to produce graduates like an assembly line(I know I will upset a few with that statement). The Mobile Ed gives a framework to have a custom theological education program that is tailored to the the students. Then again it also need the right pastor as a mentor. Not all pastors are good mentors, but the possibility is there.

The problem with Logos is it being proprietary software and if the company went under, any dependencies you placed around the Logos software would crumble. If the software was at least open sourced then another entity could continue to support it and enhance it.

The problem with Logos is it being proprietary software and if the company went under, any dependencies you placed around the Logos software would crumble. If the software was at least open sourced then another entity could continue to support it and enhance it.

I know that large companies that leverage software from smaller companies often enter into licensing agreements that call for escrowing all relevant software of the said company with an independent storage entity, e.g. Iron Mountain. That way, if the smaller company goes defunct the larger company has access to the software to maintain without major interruption with their business.

I would hope that seminaries that lock in their degree programs using Logos have similar licensing arrangements to prevent the situation you have described.

If the software was at least open sourced then another entity could continue to support it and enhance it.

That is good in theory, but in practicality it does not work. I can tell you of thousands of great Linux packages or Drupal modules that have not been picked up. The idea that someone will continue to maintain something for free without any monetary benefit just does not work. Also the tools Logos has is not something any programmer can create. I would agree would your statement
The problem with Logos is it being proprietary software and if the company went under, any dependencies you placed around the Logos software would crumble.
if the company had not been around for over twenty years. The company isn't dwindling, but increasing and getting better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back