Modern Commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookslover

Puritan Board Doctor
Is there a modern-day commentary on the Heidelberg Catechism - written and published, say, within the last 20 or 30 years? I have several of the older ones (Ursinus, vander Groe), so I'm curious as to whether there's something more recent. I also have G. H. Kersten's coming in the mail.

I also have Beeke, now that I think of it. Are there others?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Fred Klooster's Our Only Comfort in two volumes fits the bill pretty nicely. It has some weaknesses that I would consider fairly standard 90s CRC problems, but it also has a fair amount of useful information, especially on the background of the Catechism.

Herman Hoeksema's Triple Knowledge is not as recent, but at 10 volumes in the latest edition it is one of the most comprehensive. It's also useful from the standpoint that Hoeksema is careful to remain faithful to Dordt in his interpretation. The Formula of Subscription makes the Canons a further explanation of the Catechism and Confession, which means that proper interpretation of the Catechism involves cross-checking with the Canons.

What about the Heidelberg Catechism in fifty-two sermons by Rev. G.H. Kersten? Available via internet.

Fred Klooster's Our Only Comfort in two volumes fits the bill pretty nicely. It has some weaknesses that I would consider fairly standard 90s CRC problems, but it also has a fair amount of useful information, especially on the background of the Catechism.
I used Klooster when I recently taught through the first couple weeks of the Catechism and found it helpful, if not perfect, like Ruben said.

Herman Hoeksema's Triple Knowledge is not as recent, but at 10 volumes in the latest edition it is one of the most comprehensive. It's also useful from the standpoint that Hoeksema is careful to remain faithful to Dordt in his interpretation. The Formula of Subscription makes the Canons a further explanation of the Catechism and Confession, which means that proper interpretation of the Catechism involves cross-checking with the Canons.

Yup. Have that. As you say, it's not recent, but valuable.

I heard that R. Scott Clark is writing a commentary on the HC but I don't know how far he is at the moment. Does anyone have any more information on that?

As I understand it, it's going to be 2 volumes. I believe he's finishing up the manuscript and has been looking for a publisher for awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back