Mohler to be Nominated as SBC President

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news. Any SBC folk that know whether or not he has a good chance of being elected?

Yes, he has a good chance. A lot depends on who else is nominated. Of course there will be a lot of mud-slinging. Those Hyper Anti-Calvinists are going to have their say.

It's interesting to me that Dr. Jeffress is going to nominate him. I think that will actually help. Jeffress is the pastor of FBC, Dallas, which I'm sure that article above noted. He is not reformed or even Founder friendlyas far as I know. His nomination tells me that there may be a very broad base of support for Dr. Mohler.

Of course, this gives me the incentive to attend the SBC in June. The convention will be held in Indianapolis, which is close to Louisville, the home of The Southern Baptist Theologically Seminary. That's got to help too.

All in all, it is either the will of God he is elected or not. This does have the potential of splitting the Convention wide open, which may indeed be a good thing. However, I don't think Mohler's emphasis will be on Calvinism. I believe it will be on evangelism, mission work and strengthing the local church, but with a different slant.

But, oh, it will be so interesting. Probably the most interesting in over 20 years.

Yes, he has a good chance. A lot depends on who else is nominated. Of course there will be a lot of mud-slinging. Those Hyper Anti-Calvinists are going to have their say.

otherwise known as the Hypo-Calvinists, eh?

Toddy,

You're a physicist, right?

I would think it would be exoCalvinists.

Well, let's see - an exoCalvinist would produce more writing than he reads, while an endoCalvinist would read more than he puts out... that would make most of us here on the PB endoCalvinists - though some of y'all with 10,000+ posts might be crossing the exo border ;)

Mohler as president would be awesome. I can't stand the wait though, if anybody has a line to Pat Robertson, could you contact Pat and ask him who is going to win that election. Thanks.

Oh dear, I read this quote by Dennis AFTER I posted my previous message in this thread. Now I feel so unsophisticated and as an ogre for having tortured Dennis one more time. Sorry Dennis, I'll try to avoid the "A" word in the future. :duh:

Absolutely! "Awesome" must be the most overused word by a certain generation. With a house full of 14 people last week, all but two 31 years old or younger, I heard "awesome" enough times to last a lifetime. It felt like a waterboarding!
Dennis M

I have a feeling that he'll likely lose to some megachurch pastor whose church gives lots of $$$$ to the Cooperative Program, but . . . I hope and pray that I'm wrong.

(Now... to get someone to nominate Dever for 1st VP...)

Oh dear, I read this quote by Dennis AFTER I posted my previous message in this thread. Now I feel so unsophisticated and as an ogre for having tortured Dennis one more time. Sorry Dennis, I'll try to avoid the "A" word in the future. :duh:

Absolutely! "Awesome" must be the most overused word by a certain generation. With a house full of 14 people last week, all but two 31 years old or younger, I heard "awesome" enough times to last a lifetime. It felt like a waterboarding!
Dennis M

Here's a new ogre avatar for you, Bob:

istockphoto_1434922_ogre.jpg

Thanks for providing that David but I really don't think anyone would notice the change if I swapped that out with my present avatar. My wife and my mother might notice the subtle differences, but that's about it.

I cannot think of anyone better suited to be the SBC president than Al.

There are a few other men that don't have the public spotlight as Dr. Mohler who would do fine as SBC president. Still Dr. Mohler would be my first choice for SBC president over anyone.

If you can't tell, I'm WAY MORE excited about this election in June than the one in November.

Anyone coming to Indy for the Convention should look me up.

I live on the West Side of Indianapolis.

Now to topic.

posted by Ivan
It's interesting to me that Dr. Jeffress is going to nominate him. I think that will actually help. Jeffress is the pastor of FBC, Dallas, which I'm sure that article above noted. He is not reformed or even Founder friendly as far as I know. His nomination tells me that there may be a very broad base of support for Dr. Mohler.

I am usually suspect of political maneuverings in church denominational or civil governmental moves for position. Especially if a person from a different viewpoint is recommending someone for a position of authority. I start wondering what is the purpose for such recommendations? What is the motive behind the nomination? Is it an offering of an olive brance? I would say it rarely is. But then again, I have been supported by and supported paedo-baptists.

Looks like we may get to see each other this Summer Ivan. That will be awesome!

In the 90s Al Mohler, then a mere 33 yr. old, took a moderately liberal seminary and succeeded in scaring away 96% of its faculty, replacing them with solid orthodox scholars. Although I'm not SBC, it certainly warms my heart to think that a lion with that much courage might have the platform of the presidency of the SBC!!! At this critical time in history wouldn't it be "awesome" (no harm, no foul, Bob) to see a committed Calvinist in that role? When you consider the size of Southern, Mohler graduates more Calvinists in a year than many "Reformed" seminaries in a decade.

Anyone coming to Indy for the Convention should look me up.

I live on the West Side of Indianapolis.

I'm starting to plan on it. I think I can get the time, not sure about the expense.

I am usually suspect of political maneuverings in church denominational or civil governmental moves for position. Especially if a person from a different viewpoint is recommending someone for a position of authority. I start wondering what is the purpose for such recommendations? What is the motive behind the nomination? Is it an offering of an olive brance? I would say it rarely is. But then again, I have been supported by and supported paedo-baptists.

I'm beginning to believe that there are influential pockets of those who are at least Founder tolerant/friendly, who are sick and tired of the way Founder Ministries folk are talked about and treated. Reasonable and intelligent SBC folk know that those who are of the Founder type are not a threat to the Convention. Frankly, we are a benefit.

Looks like we may get to see each other this Summer Ivan. That will be awesome!

Sounds great, Randy. I'm going to send you a PM.

What does Mohler stand stand for? Most of you seem happy, he is Calvinist? Calvinist Leaning?

Solid Calvinist as far as I know. I don't know if he's Reformed, but I know his soteriology is Calvinist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back