Mohler to be Nominated as SBC President

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does Mohler stand stand for? Most of you seem happy, he is Calvinist? Calvinist Leaning?

He's a solid five-pointer, for sure. Lignon Duncan is a good friend of his, along with other good Reformed men. Of course, he is very much a credo, being a Baptist and all. However, not your typical Southern Baptist (if there is such a thing) at all.

Dr. Mohler took what I consider a very liberal seminary and not only made it solidly conservative, but build a faculty with many Calvinist professors. If I were a young man ready to go to seminary, THE Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville is where I would go. As far as the campus, I visited it a couple of times when it was still liberal and the buildings and grounds are beautiful.

But, yes, most here would be pleased with much that Dr. Mohler has written and said. He is a gracious Christian gentleman and a scholar. The SBC could do no better than Dr. Mohler for a president.

I'm going to see about getting the time off from work tomorrow (which will not be a problem) and make more arrangements, including with my church. It's been the mid-80's since I was at a annual meeting, during the Conservative Resurgence.

I'm planning to attend the Pastor's Conference too, just to see and experience it. Believe me, most of you here would not be happy with what you see happen there. I'll certainly be reporting my experiences while in Indy.

dv

When he was in seminary, he was progressive-leaning. He even worked as a TA under the VERY "progressive" Dr. Molly Marshall (now prez of Central Seminary). After encountering Carl F.H. Henry, he moved right, embraced inerrancy, and began his pilgrimage towards Calvinism.

The Calvinist Abstract of Principles was adopted by Southern Seminary at its founding in 1858 and includes the promise: "Every professor of the institution shall be a member of a regular Baptist Church; and all persons accepting professorships in this Seminary shall be considered, by such acceptance, as engaging to teach in accordance with, and not contrary to, the Abstract of Principles hereinafter laid down, a departure from which principles on his part shall be grounds for his resignation or removal by the Trustees."

Initially, 96% of the faculty either left voluntarily or were terminated. He has replaced them with solid orthodox, mostly Calvinist, scholars. A goodly number of graduates of Southern emerge as Calvinists (not necessarily Reformed in the sense that some on PB use the term).

Mohler is a Baptist, not a Presbyterian. By that standard alone, many here will deny him a right to be called "Reformed." However, if you look at what he believes, what he teaches, and who he "hangs with" (Dever, Duncan, Sproul, et. al.), you are forced to conclude that he is certainly a Calvinist.

Along with with Ligon Duncan, Mark Dever and CJ Mahaney he formed Together for the Gospel. At the 2008 conference the speakers include: Mark Dever, C.J. Mahaney, Ligon Duncan, Albert Mohler, John Piper, R. C. Sproul, and John MacArthur.

He also serves as a member of the governing body of the Council on Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. That alone should place him among the counter-cultural untouchables in evangelical circles (IVP, for instance, will not even publish an author who does not affirm egalitarianism. Similarly, Christianity Today has not been too friendly to complementarians).

Paige Patterson, one of the principal architects of the conservative resurgence in the SBC said that Mohler has the "brains of Erasmus and the courage of Luther."

He has his share of enemies. Saying that Muslims are motivated by "demonic power" did nothing to endear him to the progressives in America.

Last edited:
My bad! I was writing my post while Ivan was publishing his. If I had read his concise remarks, we could have skipped my prolix ones. Oh well.

What does Mohler stand stand for? Most of you seem happy, he is Calvinist? Calvinist Leaning?

He's a solid five-pointer, for sure. Lignon Duncan is a good friend of his, along with other good Reformed men. Of course, he is very much a credo, being a Baptist and all. However, not your typical Southern Baptist (if there is such a thing) at all.

Dr. Mohler took what I consider a very liberal seminary and not only made it solidly conservative, but build a faculty with many Calvinist professors. If I were a young man ready to go to seminary, THE Southern Baptist Theological Seminary in Louisville is where I would go. As far as the campus, I visited it a couple of times when it was still liberal and the buildings and grounds are beautiful.

But, yes, most here would be pleased with much that Dr. Mohler has written and said. He is a gracious Christian gentleman and a scholar. The SBC could do no better than Dr. Mohler for a president.

I'm going to see about getting the time off from work tomorrow (which will not be a problem) and make more arrangements, including with my church. It's been the mid-80's since I was at a annual meeting, during the Conservative Resurgence.

I'm planning to attend the Pastor's Conference too, just to see and experience it. Believe me, most of you here would not be happy with what you see happen there. I'll certainly be reporting my experiences while in Indy.

dv
Thank you Ivan!

Well, this changes my plans as to going to the Annual Meeting in June, but that's of little concerned now.

Please pray for our brother in Christ, Dr. Mohler, that he will have a full and fast recovery and return to his duties as president of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back