Momentous Ocassion

Status
Not open for further replies.

twogunfighter

Puritan Board Freshman
Not quite as big as an engagement but close:

Nathan Charles Twogun, aged four and one-half years, today fired for the first time an assault rifle. The event was overseen by his father Chuck Twogun and witnessed by several other gun enthusiasts at the local range. The boy's group was somewhat spread out but he showed promise in that several holes were punched in the cardboard box that served as a target. He also proved adept at loading magazines which will no doubt be a great help to his father in the coming years.

:bouncy::bouncy::bouncy:

21 bouncy salute!

I once had somebody teach me how to fire high powered rifles and pistols. I spent quite a lot of time learning and became a pretty good marksman. I qualified expert in the service on the M16A1. As I look back on it(almost 25 years later), it was really just time wasted. I think I would much rather teach a young boy a trade and the value of a good work ethic, than about guns.

My:wr50:

[Edited on 3-20-2004 by Gregg]

Momentous occasion

My oldest boy who is seventeen now, shot his first gun when he was Four, it was a 50 cal muzzle loader. He has always been a very responsible gun user, he went out to his cousins farm today to shoot coyotes.

Irishcat wrote:

"he went out to his cousins farm today to shoot coyotes"

I hit and ranover a coyote when I was teenager in my parents car... . So if he misses with his gun, tell him a Honda Accord works pretty well. :biggrin:

Congrats to young Nathan Charles Twogun!!

And Gregg wrote:

[quote:46dab6007a][i:46dab6007a]Originally posted by Gregg[/i:46dab6007a]
I think I would much rather teach a young boy a trade and the value of a good work ethic, than about guns.
[/quote:46dab6007a]

Are trade/the value of good work and guns mutually exclusive?? Not at all. Teach your boys both plus many more things!!!

As men, we need to be taught from an early age how to [i:46dab6007a]provide[/i:46dab6007a] and [i:46dab6007a]protect[/i:46dab6007a]. That is part of what it is to be a man. We must also all understand that a good job can never replace the ability to quicky and accurately defend yourself and your family. Part of provision is protection....providing safety.

Phillip

[quote:a32c3d8a76][i:a32c3d8a76]Originally posted by pastorway[/i:a32c3d8a76]

Are trade/the value of good work and guns mutually exclusive?? Not at all. Teach your boys both plus many more things!!!

As men, we need to be taught from an early age how to [i:a32c3d8a76]provide[/i:a32c3d8a76] and [i:a32c3d8a76]protect[/i:a32c3d8a76]. That is part of what it is to be a man. We must also all understand that a good job can never replace the ability to quicky and accurately defend yourself and your family. Part of provision is protection....providing safety.

Phillip [/quote:a32c3d8a76]

Reply...

I think from now on I'll just stick to posting Bouncies. :bouncy:

[Edited on 3-21-2004 by Gregg]

[b:0e1267381d]Gregg wrote:[/b:0e1267381d]
I think from now on I'll just stick to posting Bouncies. :bouncy:

You certainly do have a nack for those things, don't you! A while ago you posted a bouncey that was so appropriate for this thread. Do you have any more guns in your arsenol?

:thumbup::roll:

[quote:f0e1267124][i:f0e1267124]Originally posted by Irishcat922[/i:f0e1267124]
he went out to his cousins farm today to shoot coyotes. [/quote:f0e1267124]

Having grown up on a West Texas cotton and cattle operation I can sympathize about the coyotes, but I do hope you realize that they are now a protected species and that shooting or trapping them without a specific license is illegal. That is why the sheep ranchers are now using llamas to control the coyote problem.

Anne

[quote:f50bce275f]
How did you know your son was ready for shootin'?
[/quote:f50bce275f]

That's when I started. Also we have been working on the laser shooting range at Cabela's for a couple of years now. Plus I want him to feel the power of a real gun now so that he will not be tempted to fiddle without supervision. Shooting a real gun teaches respect for one and makes it easier for the young mind to delineate between it and a play gun thereby ensuring that he won't decide to play with a real gun.

Anyhow that was my rationale.

Chuck

Congratulation and way to go! Little Nathan is on the right track. That was my 'age of introduction' as well and I've never been able to thank my father enough. Good thinking on the reality factor. I've taken my daughter to the range many times since she was young. She knows what a weapon can do on the terminal end. It makes for a much safer home.

Coyotes a protected species- but they shouldn't be. I realise they are now a furbearer or a 'game varmit', but in most areas of the nation of which I'm aware they are an overpopulated nuisance now.

[Edited on 3-21-2004 by LawrenceU]

[quote:1803742335][i:1803742335]Originally posted by LawrenceU[/i:1803742335]
Coyotes a protected species- but they shouldn't be. I realise they are now a furbearer or a 'game varmit', but in most areas of the nation of which I'm aware they are an overpopulated nuisance now.[/quote:1803742335]

Sad, but true, Lawrence. When I was a kid the county trapper paid a bounty on coyote ears-$5 for every pair brought in. Now, sadly, the bounty is on the hunter.

BTW, I whole-heartedly approve of teaching our children to use firearms. Our home was much safer because we used them and respected them.

It's amazing. When I was a student nearly everyone took a gun to school. There was at least a .22 and probably a shotgun in almost every vehicle on the parking lot, teachers' and students' alike. It was a part of who we were. Interestingly enough no one every went on a rampage. It just goes to prove that my second favorite bumper sticker is right, "If guns cause crime flies cause garbage." My third favorite bumper sticker is, "Gun Control Is Hitting Your Target."

(BTW, in case anyone cares, my favorite bumper stick says, "Hang Up and Drive." All of you living in the Dallas / Fort Worth area can relate, I am sure.)

[Edited on 3-22-2004 by lkjohnson]

[b:19bc20d8bc]lkjohnson wrote:[/b:19bc20d8bc]
(BTW, in case anyone cares, my favorite bumper stick says, "Hang Up and Drive." All of you living in the Dallas / Fort Worth area can relate, I am sure.)

As can all of us living in the Boston area.

Pvt. Bouncy in training at flamethrower school

:flaming:

[Edited on 3-22-2004 by Gregg]

This topic of teaching a young child to use a weapon brought a question in my mind about play guns. I was wondering what other people on this board feel about them... are they appropriate for kids? I used to have no problem with them, and have heard of kids using their hands as pretend guns if you don't let them use a play one, etc.. etc... . Anyways, after having my son I have thought about this on occasion and was wondering if it really is appropriate to let a child play with a toy gun as they usually end up using it to pretend to kill someone or something. If a kid was pretending to hunt I don't think I wouldn't have a problem with it but if they are pretending to shoot their sister that doesn't seem appropriate to me. Is it okay if they are just pretending to shoot the "bad guys"? Any thoughts?

My grandmother was very much against play guns. My parents just didn't buy them for us, and so we found other things to shoot each other with like bananas!

My step-son has always had play-guns. He knows that he is playing, though. In this country the gun laws are very tight, so he's not going to come across a weapon lying around. He wouldn't pick it up if he did. He sees shotguns when he goes out with his natural father to shoot pheasants, and he knows first-hand what a weapon can do.

To my mind, to deny him his play and enjoyment achieves nothing. He will play such games in the yard at school and at friend's houses. He loves anything to do with action man, armies and guns. He loves the fact that I work for the Royal Air Force..its all 'cool' to him.

He's a child, and I'll let him play.

I feel a bit the same way about the Harry Potter series. I cannot get worked up like some do about how 'evil' it all is. To me it is a massive distraction away from the serious and deep issues facing the church today. Sure, there are concerns about the whole thing, but am I going to inflate the issue by screening my son from it and making him want it all the more? He'll read the things eventually on his own somewhere else. I'd personally rather read through them with him, have it over with, and make sure he understands that these things are fantasy, and nothing more.

I'm probably going to get :flaming: for the above but don't bother as I'm not trying to turn this into a pro-con harry potter thread and I won't respond!

J

The play that little children express is actually training for their God given roles in life. Little boys are to grow into courageous mean able to take life if necessary, willing to yield up their own if necessary. These character traits are first developed in play. In the same way little girls are to grow into virtuous women. Their play is training as well.

I remember on a Dobson broadcast a parent was relating the natural God-given differences between boys and girls. He lived in an PC community. The thought of boys playing with toy guns, playing cops and robber, cowboys and indians, GI's and commies, etc. was abhorent to the parents in that community. (As I recall he was a pastor or counselor.) One day a mother, who was adamantly antigun-no toys, no movies, nada, came to him visibly shaken asking for advice. She related that she did not know what to do about her son. Last night he had been chasing his sister through the house squeezing of round after round from his teddy bear, firing it like an SMG. Boys will play like boys. It is good for them.

Congrats on little 2 gun's shooting!! You gotta start 'em out right!!

My kids love to shoot. They think Daddy's sks is the ultimate. It's like kids in the candy store when we go to the range. Everyone wants to shoot everything we have. My oldest (9) got a child sized 22/shotgun (exchangeable barrels) for Christmas. He had to get it early in time to go deer hunting. Great time:) Husband and son bout froze in the mts when it snowed, but had a good time.

How can you have a Father/son wknd hunting if you don't have guns?! And really now, just how fun can it be, as a child, if you don't even have a gun to shoot the deer when/if you see one? And yes, next year our daughter will go too. We decided 9 is the age they can hunt if they want to.

shelly

[quote:700245d5d7]How can you have a Father/son wknd hunting if you don't have guns?! [/quote:700245d5d7]

Bows and Arrows! :lol::eureka:

Seriously, it is a proven fact, when the bad guys know that anyone on the street might also have a gun (concelaed of course) they will think twice about committing the crime!

And it is also true that boys will play with guns even if no guns are available. A stick makes a fine rifle and dirt clods are great grenades!

They start with toys and move to the real thing as they grow up. Make it a part of their normal life and they know how to use and respect firearms. Hide them, forbid them, and keep your kids ignorant and accidents are prone to happen if they ever get a hold of a gun!

Phillip

I guess my question may have not been written clearly. First off let me say that I am very much in favor of teaching children proper use of weapons, we own a gun and will teach our children how to use it when they are old enough. My concern in "gun play" whether with a play gun or a finger is that it may be violating the commandment, thou shall not kill. I know by nature boys will be boys and will have a desire to do this (and I have no reason to go into hysterics when it does happen, I am used to my husband's light sabre via wrapping paper rolls everytime we go out shopping!) my question is should I permit this especially when done in an improper manner (ie in revenge or anger) not just in a "just war" .

Use their play to teach them! Give instructions about good and bad, right and wrong. And if it is play, don't treat it like they are really lilling someone in anger! It is make believe but it will open the door for a good time of teaching if the parent is attentive.

And as for light sabers, any of you as a kid ever use a broomstick as a sword and a trash can lid ( the old metal kinds with the handle ) as a shield. We played Ivanhoe, Robin Hood, and King Arthur and The Knights of the Round Table, etc, really banging those lids up.

:bouncy::bouncing:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back