More Marvel Movies on the Way

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
Captain America, Thor, and Nick Fury Are Greenlit

Posted Jul 26th 2006 11:38AM by Mark Beall

Filed under: Action & Adventure, Deals, Fandom, Movie Marketing, Comic/Superhero/Geek, Remakes and Sequels

In the flurry of announcements coming from Comic-Con, there were a lot of movie announcements. Pretty impressive, for what started as a little old comic book convention. During their time at the Con, Marvel certainly had many fun announcements for us, including the confirmation/official announcements for three long rumored Marvel comic movie projects:

Captain America will finally be returning for a feature length movie after a long hiatus. I was going to write something about hoping this one would be better than the last go around, but really, there is almost no way it could be worse. They could just film a slide show of a few Captain America comic books with somebody reading us the dialog and it'd be a major improvement.

Nick Fury will be showcased in a S.H.I.E.L.D. flick. No word on whether it'll be traditional Nick Fury or Ultimate Nick Fury, but both are awesome and both would make for a fantastic movie. Fury's character should allow for a film outside the traditional cape and tights superhero flicks. Andrew Marlowe will be doing the script writing.

Finally, Thor of the mighty Viking pantheon will be hitting the silver screen. No details on this one yet, but it is clear to see Marvel is gearing up for an enormous Avengers picture, with Iron Man and Ant-Man movies already announced and Captain America and Thor on the way as well. This all sounds fantastic to me.

Source

Robert Downey Jr.: I am 'Iron Man'

CNN.com
POSTED: 8:36 a.m. EDT, September 29, 2006

LOS ANGELES, California (Hollywood Reporter) -- Robert Downey, Jr. is suiting up to star in "Iron Man," a superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character.

Jon Favreau is directing the Paramount Pictures release. Filming is slated to begin in February in Los Angeles.

Downey will portray Tony Stark, a billionaire industrialist and genius inventor who is kidnapped and forced to build a devastating weapon. Using his intelligence and ingenuity, Stark instead builds a high-tech suit of armor and escapes captivity. Upon his return to the U.S., he uncovers a plot with global implications and must don his armor and protect the world.

The comic debuted in the 1960s, and Iron Man's origin involved Stark being a prisoner of the Viet Cong. The movie version will be set in today's geopolitical climate.

Budgeted at more than $100 million, it marks the first feature film to be produced independently by Marvel Entertainment, which previously licensed its characters, such as "Spider-Man" and "X-Men," to other studios.

Marvel president of production Kevin Feige said the filmmakers looked for the best actor to embody the character.

"The Marvel characters are not just about how high they jump or how fast they fly, they're about their character flaws," Feige said. "They're about their inner demons. They're about the struggles that they go through between being a man and being a hero."

Downey, who has battled his fair share of inner demons, worked hard to get the role, getting in shape and even growing a goatee like the one Stark sports in the comic books.

"In every casting announcement we've done, people in their mind's eye have their own view of it and let us know about it. We're used to it," Feige said. "The point is, we looked at everybody, and we found the best person for the role. It's as confident a casting move as we've ever done. The proof will be in the pudding, but he is Tony Stark."

Downey returns to theaters on November 10 in the Diane Arbus bipic "Fur" opposite Nicole Kidman.

Thor and IronMan!! Cool.

Andrew, have you seen the animated movie The Avengers? We bought the first and second for our son and it's actually really good. That's what made my son such a huge Hulk fan. Thor is in that cartoon too and he's actually pretty cool, other than the fact that he's a Greenpeace activist. :um:

There's a cool scene at the end of Avengers 1 where Thor walks up and hits the Hulk with his hammer. In the end, however, The Hulk ends up beating up Thor.

Capt America is in both movies.

Rich: Looks interesting. My boys have been watching some of the Justice League cartoons and some the Batman cartoons. What do you tell your son about Thor being a "god?" We addressed this issue a bit when we let them watch a cartoon about Hercules.

Also, I saw this excerpt from a review of the Avengers on Amazon. Do you agree with its assessment?

There is a lot of violence and sexuality. The two female superheroes have huge perky breasts, and one scene involves blatant seduction. In battle scenes, soldiers die. An astronaut desperately screams she is "burning up" as aliens attack a space station. In some of the most violent cartoon scenes I have ever seen, the Hulk goes bananas on his teammates, going for blows to the head, the knee, the throat. This is not kid stuff.

Thanks

[Edited on 9-29-2006 by Scott]

Originally posted by Scott
Rich: Looks interesting. My boys have been watching some of the Justice League cartoons and some the Batman cartoons. What do you tell your son about Thor being a "god?" We addressed this issue a bit when we let them watch a cartoon about Hercules.

Also, I saw this excerpt from a review of the Avengers on Amazon. Do you agree with its assessment?

There is a lot of violence and sexuality. The two female superheroes have huge perky breasts, and one scene involves blatant seduction. In battle scenes, soldiers die. An astronaut desperately screams she is "burning up" as aliens attack a space station. In some of the most violent cartoon scenes I have ever seen, the Hulk goes bananas on his teammates, going for blows to the head, the knee, the throat. This is not kid stuff.

Thanks

I would like feedback on this, as well, please.

I saw on Amazon that the Avengers is PG-13. The reason I am looking into this is b/c my boys (7 and 5) like superheros but I want to be careful in screening what they see.

Up, Up, and away......

Underdog is on the way.....

Now that would be a good CGI movie.

Although I think Downey is a nut job, he is a phenom actor and probably will do a great job.....they better not mess with Cap, or I'll flip a lid........They better make him the WW2 America loving crime fighter he is or else.......

I heard those Avenger movies are great, I need to rent them.

I wonder if the IronMan movie will finally solve the argument between Jerry Seinfeld and George Costanza on what Ironman is wearing underneath his suit.

Originally posted by Scott

Thanks

I say to James: "James, Thor is god for the Norse people but America has a different one. As long as people are sincere in their belief in Thor then he is a god for them."

Actually, James is a bit too young to catch those nuances yet. Even within the movie there is a debate among the other superheroes about whether Thor is really a god. They even poke fun at him ("Who's the chick..."). The irony of Thor being a god is that The Hulk beats him up. This hammer, that only a "god" can wield, is picked up by The Hulk and used to beat on Thor. It would actually be a good teaching point about humanism and also about how the pagan gods are so impotent.

But, as I said, James just likes the super-heroing.

Regarding sensuality: Yes, some of the girls are dressed and there is cleavage. I would not call it overtly sexual. If you have a problem with the superhero outfits that women wear (i.e. Wonder Woman) then you shouldn't watch this or just about any other cartoon. Some people also have a problem with guys walking around without shirts on. That's pretty prevalent in superhero outfits as well.

There is one "seduction" scene. The woman walks in slinkily and adults realize she is trying to attract a man. The purpose of which is to lure him in a back room where he is interviewed by a General (James calls him a pirate because he has a patch on his eye). I don't think it is terribly scandalous.

Finally, with respect to dying, I've never had a problem with people dying as long as it is not done in a gruesome way. Scripture is far more graphic than this cartoon is. I don't believe I need to protect my young children from the idea of death.

I recommend, for those concerned, that you rent the movie and watch it yourself. It's up to you.

I say to James: "James, Thor is god for the Norse people but America has a different one. As long as people are sincere in their belief in Thor then he is a god for them."
:lol:

SWEET!!!!

My son is going to flip out about seing Captain America.

He often asks if he can dress like Capt America for bed. There's a scene in the Avengers Cartoon where they've found Capt America in an iceberg and he's lying on an exam table with long pants on and no shirt. He likes to take his shirt off and have the covers pulled up to his arms. He could be dressed in his Superman pajamas but take off his shirt and Voila!, he's Capt America!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back