More Praise for Half Price Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marrow Man

Drunk with Powder
I found a copy of F.F. Bruce's commentary on 1 and 2 Thessalonians (Word Biblical Commentary series) for only $8 at Half Price Books!

They also had a copy of his commentary on Hebrews (NICNT, older cover), but I already have the revised edition. It's still there for only $8 if you happen to live in L'ville....

I stop in at least 2 times a month at Half Price Books. :D

My best find yet, I think, was Hodge on Romans (hardcover, Banner, good condition) for $2 on clearance!!! :wow:

Lucky for me

...I worked there ...for 7 years. Strangely, the year I left and returned as a regular customer, I was able to get a lot (20-25) of Reformed books. I got Calvin's Institutes by Mcneil and the one by Beveridge both for $7.98 and the McNeil was 2 vol I think. I ran the Christian section and got a lot from the sheer volume of books we got. Sure, I had to go through crummy Max Lucado books to get to the gems but hey, price of the job.

I made lasting friends there to this day and had a coworker break from alcoholism and become a Christian. I also met a girl there who became my wife and who led me back to Christ. Working there and keeping my head down, I saw A LOT of things....maybe someday I will have to start a thread or post of my experiences. It was retail, but it was the best retail job I had and prepared me for my role in librarianship quite a bit.

I found a copy of F.F. Bruce's commentary on 1 and 2 Thessalonians (Word Biblical Commentary series) for only $8 at Half Price Books!

They also had a copy of his commentary on Hebrews (NICNT, older cover), but I already have the revised edition. It's still there for only $8 if you happen to live in L'ville....

Still a waste of money if you ask me.

But some people like to read the heretics and weak commentators for various reasons. So have at it, its your time and dime.

But some people like to read the heretics and weak commentators for various reasons. So have at it, its your time and dime.

Gee... I read various kinds of books for various reasons. I am sure he knows what he is doing in what he chooses to read. :)

*starts sending another e-mail to corporate to beg them to open just ONE store, SOMEWHERE in Georgia*

*looks at her husband's bookshelves, remembers all the books that are still in his parents' garage, remembers all the books still at her parents' house*

*discards draft*

So, you're suggesting that F.F. Bruce is a "heretic" or "weak commentator"? I understand that not everything in the WBC series is conservative and that each volume must be weighed on its own, but the NICNT/OT series is generally considered to be a conservative, trustworthy series. And I have never heard anything like this leveled against him. Perhaps you need to elaborate here.

BTW, I noticed that Bruce's commentary on 1 and 2 Thessalonians is recommended by Ligonier, and both that commentary and his commentary on Hebrews are recommended by the Covenant Seminary library.

Gee... I read various kinds of books for various reasons. I am sure he knows what he is doing in what he chooses to read. :)

Yeah, here's a shocker: I have Raymond Brown's commentary on John (vol. 1) on my bookshelf right now. I picked it up at a used bookstore a few years ago. Brown is a Roman Catholic. I am fully capable of reading through his comments w/o becoming TR ("Totally Rome") in the process.

Bruce was in Christian fellowship at various places during his life, including both the Exclusive and Open Plymouth Brethren.[1] However he did not affirm the dispensationalism[2] and pretribulationism[3] usually associated with the brethren.

I thought he was influenced by disp. when I read him. I like others better, and all the Dispensationalists I was trained by used and liked him. I am sure some of his apologetics and works on the ancients are accurate and useful.
I don't like reading what I consider to be weaker theologians, who aren't distinctively reformed and don't understand the covenants etc., its no opinion of others who do, or who think he is brilliant.

And maybe inconsistently I study the Language scholars works, some who may have weaker theology. But I haven't found works by reformed people to replace them.

I don't have enough time or interest to read everyone, so I stick with solidly reformed who I think usually will have a better clearer view of scripture and doctrine.
But that's just me.

Hey just to know how weird I am after reading some of Bunyan I quit reading Him once I found out he was Amyrauldian and was not clear on how God could offer the gospel to all if Christ didn't die for all.

But he held clearly to double predestination so I keep that one work in paperback also so people who like him can get that doctrine.

I just don't. Is that OK for me to hold this opinion of not preferring FF Bruce's work and preferring others?

Please don't take offense if you like him and get benefit from him, great.
I wasn't fearing you would be converted to error by him.

Anyone want to buy my Works of Bunyan, I already got rid of all my FF Bruce books and commentaries.

Don, you can have any opinion about Bruce you want. He's not in your comfort zone, that's fine. You were implying that he is a heretic and that is quite beyond your place in the church or PB community. Give your opinion but do it with a bit less smugness and hyperbole.

Is that OK for me to hold this opinion of not preferring FF Bruce's work and preferring others?

Please don't take offense if you like him and get benefit from him, great.
I wasn't fearing you would be converted to error by him.

Whether you like or dislike Bruce matters little to me. It is a recommended commentary, and that matters more. What I object to is the epithet of "heretic" being thrown out on the PB (such no such charge, to my knowledge, was pressed upon him by a court of the church, it is not good practice for individuals simply to throw the term around). Please be more careful in the use of such comments in the future.

Once again, you are entitled to your opinions (and even encouraged to share them!), but be more careful in the manner in which they are expressed. Otherwise, I have no problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back