Most foundational thing in God?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goodcheer68

Puritan Board Sophomore
Curious if anyone has read Delighting in the Trinity by Michael Reeves? In chapter one he states that "The most foundational thing in God is not some abstract quality, but the fact that he is Father."

It seems that he is talking about God's essence and not the persons of the Godhead. I also get that God has always been a Father as the Son has been eternally generated. But that is dealing with God in terms of the persons of the Godhead and again not his essence. So I'm posting this to see if we can safely make such a statement and if so what is our basis in doing so.

For what it is worth I affirm the creeds and our confessions, God's simplicity and so on.

Abstraction is removing a quality from its concrete situation in order to examine it in its own nature. By making "father" to be "foundational" it has been turned into an abstract quality.

It is best to abandon the idea of knowing God as He is in Himself and rest satisfied with the knowledge of Him as revealed. Foundational to that revelation is the fact He IS. I AM THAT I AM. Which WAS and IS and IS TO COME. He lives in and of Himself. Apart from this truth there could be no revelation of God as Father or anything else. If He were in a state of becoming there would be nothing objectively unchanging to reveal to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back