Most helpful pastoral memoir or biography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thistle93

Puritan Board Freshman
Just curious, especially for those of you in pastor ministry which pastoral memoir or biography has been the most helpful in sustaining you in pastoral ministry? I know that in pastoral ministry it can feel like we are the only ones who go through pastoral trials and troubles but it has been deeply encouraging for me to read how some of the most faithful (not perfect) pastors throughout history have experienced hardships, resistance and even been unjustly fired.

One book that I am looking forward to reading is memoir on Edward Payson and then just saw on Google Books one called Our Pastor which was written by the congregations views of Payson's overall ministry. Will be interesting to see the similarities and contrast in perspective.

Here is link to the Our Pastor book on Google Books:
https://www.google.com/books/editio...=edward+Payson+our+pastor&printsec=frontcover

In all of this, books will never replace the extreme blessings of regular fellowship with other pastors who can encourage us, challenge and rebuke us and pray for us.

For His Glory-Matthew

Memoirs of Thomas Boston
Memoirs of an Ordinary Pastor: The Life and Reflections of Tom Carson, by D. A. Carson
The Art of Pastoring by David Hansen

The Letters of Henry Venn are not exactly a memoir, but they fit the bill for being sustaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back