Movie Soundtracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Average Joey

Puritan Board Junior
Name your favorites.Mine are definently anything John Williams.Starwars especially.I also really enjoyed Braveheart`s music.Oh and how can I forget Lord of the Rings.:D

Force theme from Starwars
Minas Tirith from Return of the King
Indiana Jones theme
etc.

Besides the more common soundtracks such as Lord of the Rings and Starwars, my vote is for Shadowlands. Shadowlands came out about 15 years ago and is about the life of CS Lewis, the soundtrak has great classical and choral traks. Its out of print so might prove difficult to locate. I highly recommend it along with the movie.

Gods and Generals
My Best Friend's Wedding
Blown Away
Chariots of Fire
Blues Brothers
The Sound of Music
Camelot
Braveheart
Titanic
Henry V
Vacation
Grease
The Sting
Somewhere in Time
Mission Impossible
Forest Gump
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion
The Big Chill

[Edited on 6-10-2005 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I really enjoy John Barry's work (Dances with Wolves, Chaplain, and Out of Africa). He has several soundtracks out.

Vangelis is also another good one (Chariots of Fire, Bladerunner, 1492, The Bounty).

Shadowlands is also an excellent soundtrack as well as Remains of the Day. If you like John Williams... I would recommend Gustav Holst (The Planets... Mars is spectacular).

All the classic soundtracks are great, but a few slightly lesser-known film scores that I really like are George Fenton's Ever After, Patrick Doyle's Sense and Sensibility, Elmer Bernstein's The Age of Innocence and Alexandre Desplat's Girl With A Pearl Earring. Scott already mentioned George Fenton's Shadowlands, which is also really nice, as are all of Fenton's scores.

Originally posted by Texas Aggie
Shadowlands is also an excellent soundtrack as well as Remains of the Day. If you like John Williams... I would recommend Gustav Holst (The Planets... Mars is spectacular).

:ditto:

I continue to lament the fact that I inadvertently melted my Planets CD a couple of years ago.

I loaned my Planets CD to a buddy of mine and never got it back. We should just go and get new ones. :)

I loaned my Planets CD to a buddy of mine and never got it back. We should just go and get new ones. :)

You're right! I just haven't gotten around to it.

The Thin Red Line by Hans Zimmer is the best soundtrack I've ever heard. One of the few soundtracks that qualifies as stand alone good music.

Originally posted by Plimoth Thom
The Thin Red Line by Hans Zimmer is the best soundtrack I've ever heard. One of the few soundtracks that qualifies as stand alone good music.

Oh, but I think lots of them do! BTW, do you have Zimmer's Gladiator? It's recycled Holst, but it's a very fun listen!

You hit the nail on the head Evie.... there are many recycled Holst out there. :D

Hey, recycling good quality stuff results in good products!

I used to be such an active poster on a film music message board that after three years of virtual absence, I am still ranked in their top 35 posters ever.

Originally posted by Ex Nihilo
Originally posted by Plimoth Thom

Oh, but I think lots of them do! BTW, do you have Zimmer's Gladiator? It's recycled Holst, but it's a very fun listen!

I don't have Zimmer's Gladiator, but from what I remember from the movie, it's pretty good. I'm not a big fan of soundtracks. The Thin Red Line is really the only soundtrack I own. It's the only one I've found I can listen to on it's own, and enjoy. One of the reasons why is because a couple of the main songs are adapted from "Christian Race" an American folk hymn, and I like early American music.

Oh Brother Where Art Thou (gotta love it!...Cotton eyed joe!)
The Sound of Music
Grease
Top Gun (sorry, I was a military brat)
Forest Gump
LOTR triology

(and I know this is not a movie, but)
Gilmore Girls theme song!!!!

I forgot about Papillon!There was one song used most and it was beautifully sad and haunting.

If you haven`t seen Papillon,see it.Steve McQueen and Dustin Hoffman star.

[Edited on 6-11-2005 by Average Joey]

LAST OF THE MOHICANS!!! I forget the name of the song. But it has a violin intro during a scene in the middle of the movie...absolutely rocks.

I also enjoy Braveheart.

Originally posted by matthew11v25
LAST OF THE MOHICANS!!! I forget the name of the song. But it has a violin intro during a scene in the middle of the movie...absolutely rocks.

I also enjoy Braveheart.

My parents just came back from Asheville,NC,where Last of the Mohicans was filmed,and immediately bought that movie.Great movie BTW.You`re right,the soundtrack is awesome.

I also enjoy Braveheart.

Is that the scene where he is "courting" her? Seriously, it is a wonderful piece. Also really good is when they are running up the mountain on that rescue mission.

Originally posted by Draught Horse

I also enjoy Braveheart.

Is that the scene where he is "courting" her? Seriously, it is a wonderful piece. Also really good is when they are running up the mountain on that rescue mission.

Yes it is the "courting" scene. the mountain rescue was good also.

I also enjoy Braveheart.

If that's courting...then I'm locking my daughters up! (unless there is a scene I'm not remembering)

That song is based on "The Gael" by Dougie MacLean.

Originally posted by LadyFlynt

I also enjoy Braveheart.

If that's courting...then I'm locking my daughters up! (unless there is a scene I'm not remembering)

Nope, You have the right scene. Most parents won't approve of that type of courting.

These are the ones that I own:

Amadeus
Batman (trilogy)
Beautiful Mind
Black Hawk Down
Braveheart
Chariots of Fire
Cold Mountain
Fiddler on the Roof
Gettysburg
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
Gladiator