Movies that made us remember the song

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmpem

Puritan Board Junior
A movie buddy of mine and I are trying to put together a list of movies that have a song in which people always think of that part of the movie with that song in it when they hear the song. Make sense? Whenever you hear that song, you think of this part of the movie. It can be classical, modern - anything really. Some examples:

Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" from Apocalypse Now
Strauss' Intro to Thus Spake Zarathustra from 2001: A Space Odyssey
Dick Dale's "Missourlou" from Pulp Fiction

Those kinds.

These must be songs that were already out before the filmmakers used them. Cover songs are allowed (if someone covered an Elvis Presley song in the movie, that can count). I have a list of my own in the works, and I've noticed that quite a few of the songs are from movies of a very...particular audience. Some of the movies that have come up are cult classics through and through. If you don't want to open a :worms: by bringing up a certain film, just PM it to me. Trust me, I don't judge that kind of stuff. I love weird movies and watch cult classics when I can. :popcorn:

We're going to compile everything we can get and then weigh the candidates later. But we need your input before we can do that.

Thanks!

Hmm, now that I think about it, this thread should be called "Songs that make us remember the movie".

One movie and two songs which are destined to always make me think of them together:

Top Gun -- "Great Balls of Fire," and "That Loving Feeling"

We Will Rock You (Queen) ------- A Knights Tale
We are the Champions (Queen)------- Mighty Ducks
What is Love ------ A Night at the Roxbury
I started a Joke (Bee Gees) and Beat It (Micheal Jackson) ------ Zoolander
I will Survive (Gloria Gaynor)------ The Replacements
Old Time Rock and Roll (Bob Seger) --------- Risky Business
Surfin' USA (Beach Boys) -------- Teen Wolf
Oh Yeah (Yellow) --------- Ferris Bueller's Day Off

to name a few off the top of my head

"What a Wonderful World" = "Good Morning, Vietnam!"
"Wonderful World" = "Witness"

(BTW, Bryan, I think it was sheer brilliance for them to put that Bob Seger song in "Risky Business," In my humble opinion; say what?)

Margaret

Show Me the Way to Go Home featured in Jaws. Quint and Hooper finally get Chief Brody out of his shell and the next thing you know Jaws is coming through the boat. Classic.

Last edited:
Casablanca - As Time Goes By
Breakfast at Tiffany's - Moon River
The Wizard of Oz - Over the Rainbow
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid - Raindrops Keep Fallin' On My Head
Ghost - Unchained Melody
The Spy Who Loved Me - Nobody Does It Better
Say Anything - In Your Eyes
Wayne's World - Bohemian Rhapsody
Top Gun - Take My Breath Away
The Breakfast Club - Don’t You (Forget About Me)
Singing in the Rain - Singing in the Rain
An Officer and a Gentleman - Up Where We Belong
Armageddon - Don't Wanna Miss a Thing
Footloose - Footloose
9 to 5 - 9 to 5
Beetlejuice - The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)
Do the Right Thing - Fight the Power
Stand By Me - Stand By Me
Flashdance - Maniac
Ghostbusters - Ghostbusters
Ferris Bueller's Day Off - Twist and Shout
The Graduate - Mrs. Robinson
Dirty Dancing - The Time of My Life
Risky Business - Old Time Rock and Roll
Saturday Night Fever - Stayin' Alive
Grease - Grease
The Sound of Music - Edelweiss
White Christmas - White Christmas
West Side Story - Somewhere, America
Fiddler on the Roof - If I Was a Rich Man
Mary Poppins - A Spoonful of Sugar, Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

A movie buddy of mine and I are trying to put together a list of movies that have a song in which people always think of that part of the movie with that song in it when they hear the song. Make sense? Whenever you hear that song, you think of this part of the movie. It can be classical, modern - anything really. Some examples:

Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" from Apocalypse Now
Strauss' Intro to Thus Spake Zarathustra from 2001: A Space Odyssey
Dick Dale's "Missourlou" from Pulp Fiction

Those kinds.

These must be songs that were already out before the filmmakers used them. Cover songs are allowed (if someone covered an Elvis Presley song in the movie, that can count). I have a list of my own in the works, and I've noticed that quite a few of the songs are from movies of a very...particular audience. Some of the movies that have come up are cult classics through and through. If you don't want to open a :worms: by bringing up a certain film, just PM it to me. Trust me, I don't judge that kind of stuff. I love weird movies and watch cult classics when I can. :popcorn:

We're going to compile everything we can get and then weigh the candidates later. But we need your input before we can do that.

Thanks!

So songs that were written specificaly for a movie do not count?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back