Moving from credo to paedo!

Status
Not open for further replies.

MLCOPE2

Puritan Board Junior
I need a little help. (more than a little if you ask my wife, LOL)

I am finding it increasingly more difficult to reconcile credobaptism with covenant/reformed theology. As I am reading through the Institutes on baptism I find there to be a consistent, biblical, and even logical assent to the paedo position. This brings me to my need for help. What books, articles, works, etc. can you point me to that offers a full and comprehensive treatment of the paedo position, its history throughout the church, and its practical implications.

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all!

You are on your way to answering your own questions and doubts. As you've already discovered, credo-baptism does not comport with covenant theology.

If the admins/mods will permit a Baptist experiencing some of the same problems you are to offer an answer, here are some of the ones you may wish to consider (I do NOT necessarily agree with some of the other theological views held by some of these folks; but they are all in the Reformed camp). These are some that I am trying to work my way through now:

Defending Reformed Paedo-Baptism

A.A. Hodge. The Confession of Faith.

B.B. Warfield. The Polemics of Infant Baptism.

Brian Schwertley. The Sacraments and Paedocommunion: A Biblical Examination.

Charles Hodge. The Subjects of Baptism (from his Systematic Theology)

David F. Wright. Baptism: Three Views.

Dennis Johnson. Infant Baptism: How My Mind Has Changed.

Fowler White. The Last Adam and His Seed.

Francis Nigel Lee. Sprinkling Is Scriptural.

Gregg Strawbridge. Infant Baptism: Does the Bible Teach It?

Grover Gunn. The Mode of Baptism.

James W. Scott. The Biblical Basis for Infant Baptism.

Jason A. Van Bemmel. Children of the Covenant.

Jason Wallace. An Open Letter on Infant Baptism.

Jay E. Adams. The Meaning of Baptism.

J. Ligon Duncan. The Abrahamic Covenant - Signs and Implications and The Reformed Doctrine of Baptism & New Testament Practice.

John Armstrong, ed. Understanding Four Views on Baptism.

John Battle. Mode of Baptism.

John Calvin. Institutes of the Christian Religion, 4:16 on Infant Baptism.

John Murray. The Mode of Baptism.

John Owen. Of Infant Baptism.

Kim Riddlebarger. Lectures on the Sacraments.

Larry Wilson. Why Does the Orthodox Presbyterian Church Baptize Infants.

Louis Berkhof. Baptism (from his Systematic Theology).

Peter Edwards. Candid Reasons For Renouncing the Principles of Anti-Paedobaptism.

Peter P. Sandford. Christian Baptism: A Discourse of Acts 2:38, 39.

R. Scott Clark. A Contemporary Reformed Defense of Infant Baptism, Abraham, Moses and Baptism and Ishmael and Infant Baptism.

Samuel Miller. Infant Baptism: Scriptural and Reasonable.

William Shishko. A Better Case for Infant Baptism and Is Immersion Necessary for Baptism?

William Shishko. Studies on Baptism (audio).

[Moderator's Note]
Rick,

I probably have led you astray. :eek: Neither of us is supposed to post in the paedo-baptist forum. My offering of bibliography was intended as just about the least intrusive trespass possible. If you have questions about baptism, please post in a thread in the credo-baptism forum or begin a new thread of your own there.

Thanks!

If the admins/mods will permit a Baptist experiencing some of the same problems you are to offer an answer, here are some of the ones you may wish to consider (I do NOT necessarily agree with some of the other theological views held by some of these folks; but they are all in the Reformed camp). These are some that I am trying to work my way through now:

Defending Reformed Paedo-Baptism

A.A. Hodge. The Confession of Faith.

B.B. Warfield. The Polemics of Infant Baptism.

Brian Schwertley. The Sacraments and Paedocommunion: A Biblical Examination.

Charles Hodge. The Subjects of Baptism (from his Systematic Theology)

David F. Wright. Baptism: Three Views.

Dennis Johnson. Infant Baptism: How My Mind Has Changed.

Fowler White. The Last Adam and His Seed.

Francis Nigel Lee. Sprinkling Is Scriptural.

Gregg Strawbridge. Infant Baptism: Does the Bible Teach It?

Grover Gunn. The Mode of Baptism.

James W. Scott. The Biblical Basis for Infant Baptism.

Jason A. Van Bemmel. Children of the Covenant.

Jason Wallace. An Open Letter on Infant Baptism.

Jay E. Adams. The Meaning of Baptism.

J. Ligon Duncan. The Abrahamic Covenant - Signs and Implications and The Reformed Doctrine of Baptism & New Testament Practice.

John Armstrong, ed. Understanding Four Views on Baptism.

John Battle. Mode of Baptism.

John Calvin. Institutes of the Christian Religion, 4:16 on Infant Baptism.

John Murray. The Mode of Baptism.

John Owen. Of Infant Baptism.

Kim Riddlebarger. Lectures on the Sacraments.

Larry Wilson. Why Does the Orthodox Presbyterian Church Baptize Infants.

Louis Berkhof. Baptism (from his Systematic Theology).

Peter Edwards. Candid Reasons For Renouncing the Principles of Anti-Paedobaptism.

Peter P. Sandford. Christian Baptism: A Discourse of Acts 2:38, 39.

R. Scott Clark. A Contemporary Reformed Defense of Infant Baptism, Abraham, Moses and Baptism and Ishmael and Infant Baptism.

Samuel Miller. Infant Baptism: Scriptural and Reasonable.

William Shishko. A Better Case for Infant Baptism and Is Immersion Necessary for Baptism?

William Shishko. Studies on Baptism (audio).

Are any of these available online as free resources?

Are any of these available online as free resources?

With the exception of some of the books Mr. McFadden mentioned, all of these resources are available online. See this post of mine from an old thread.

-----Added 11/27/2009 at 07:12:00 EST-----

Lots of free resources and other book recommendations are available from these websites:

Monergism :: Paedobaptism - Covenant Infant Baptism

Covenant Theology, Sacraments and other things

Blessings!

Thank you for the links. They will truly be a blessing!

The anabaptist mindset is really an American phenomenon, at least on any scale. Everywhere else they were mostly small cults and sects that had very little lasting impression on the church. Just by the mere assumption that they have it right you have to ignore 4000 years of church history. What's the chance that all those scores of thousands of godly thinkers got it wrong on something so basic? You either take the Bible as a seamless work from start to finish, or you start from two thirds of the way through and pretend nothing until then really mattered, so you're free to start from scratch. It just doesn't pass the reasonable test.

The anabaptist mindset is really an American phenomenon, at least on any scale. Everywhere else they were mostly small cults and sects that had very little lasting impression on the church. Just by the mere assumption that they have it right you have to ignore 4000 years of church history. What's the chance that all those scores of thousands of godly thinkers got it wrong on something so basic? You either take the Bible as a seamless work from start to finish, or you start from two thirds of the way through and pretend nothing until then really mattered, so you're free to start from scratch. It just doesn't pass the reasonable test.

That had actually been my position until a little over a year ago when I truly began to embrace reformed theology. The position of most of the churches in which I served was that tradition was inherently wrong therefore irrelevant. I have since reformed my thinking (yes, pun intended) and have begun to understand the value and importance of tradition in the history and theology of the church. As a result I must face the historical position of the church in this issue as well. And I must say that I am about 95% there already. Please pray that the Holy Spirit will guide me, and all of those who are struggling with this issue, into all truth and understanding in this matter of faithfulness to His holy commands.

Go to sermon audio and listen to Bill Shisko's 20 messages on christian baptism. The best explanation and defence I've ever heard on household baptism.

WOOOOOOO!!! Praise God!!!!

Here is THE article that first convinced me:owen:, Of Infant Baptism - John Owen

Here is a 23 part mp3 lecture on why Christians believe infants should be baptized by Bill Shishko:machen: SermonAudio.com - Orthodox Presbyterian Church Franklin Sq

And here is a GREAT debate! The more I listen to it the more I learn! Dr. Strimple(infant baptist) is soooo knowledgeable in scripture!!!:calvin: Paedo-Credo Baptism Debate: Dr. Robert Strimple and Dr. Fred Malone In Thy Light

Oh, and here is R.S.Clarks most helpful article on the subject:turretin: Westminster Seminary California clark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back