mp3 voice recorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
I know there have been threads on this before, but new technology = a new day to talk about it I guess.

Looking for a good mp3 voice recorder to record sermons. Any good quality products out there that DON'T COST TOO MUCH!!!! I'm poor! Thanks.

I have a Sony voice recorder that you can get from Wal-Mart for under $40. The problem is I bought it a few years back so it doesn't record mp3. I have to transfer the file to computer (it records it as a wav) and then transfer it to mp3 (takes about 5 more minutes). So that might work, but doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Andrew,

Below is a document prepared by a friend of mine who is very knowledgeable on the subject. It is a bit dated (2007), but should still be helpful.

GENERAL NOTES:
1. It is best to find a recorder with line-in recording capabilities so that you can use
a lapel mic. Some recorders, like the Cowon iAudio U2, require a powered mic (i.e.,
a mic with its own battery). Some recorders, like the iRiver 800 series, don't "play
nice" with powered mics.
2. It is best to use a recorder that records directly to mp3 format. Some recorders
(like the older iRiver 800 series) record in a proprietary format that introduces an
unnecessary level of complexity in the process.
3. There is some equipment available that allows high-quality recordings to be
made directly to a computer through a USB microphone or other USB attachment. I
have not studied these enough to provide more information beyond their existence.
4. The higher the quality of an audio recording, the larger the file size (and,
therefore, the download time). The recording settings below give a good balance of
file size and quality, but given the current wide-spread availability of high-speed
internet access, I have not listed any options that would be useful for dial-up users.
5. This file may be distributed freely, and I hope the information is useful. However,
I cannot be available to answer all of everyone's questions. This information should
provide you a good starting point to investigate your needs, and find a solution that
fits your situation best. Google searches can be very helpful in this regard. :)

HARDWARE:
Cowon's 1GB iAudio U2 - available for $85 at newegg.com:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?
Item=N82E16855603808&ATT=55-603-808&CMP=OTC-C173T
Archos Recording mic - available directly from Archos for about $35:
http://www.shoparchos.com/product.aspx?sku=2340064&culture=en-US
Note for Windows Users: If you are a windows-only user, the Cowon recorder
should work very will with your system. However, iRiver also has some goodquality
recorders, but they will not work on a Mac, so I haven't actually tested any of
the newer models. Just look through the flash recorders that they have with line-in
recording and choose one that is within your budget and system requirements.
Note for Mac Users: The mp3 files that the iAudio U2 creates are not fully
recognized by the Mac operating system as genuine mp3 files (i.e., they will play in
iTunes, but you can't load them into GarageBand). This problem can be solved by
either:

1. Using a program called FileType (available for free from versiontracker.com) to
adjust the "system tags" on the audio file to be consistent with what the operating
system expects (it's simpler than it sounds).
2. Changing the .MP3 file extension to .mp3
SOFTWARE (in no particular order):
Fission (Mac only) - Rogue Amoeba | Fission: Lossless Audio Editing for Mac OS X
Upside: VERY simple interface for splitting and cutting audio; edits audio in its
native format (i.e., no quality loss).
Downside: $32, high on price, low on features
GarageBand (Mac only) - Apple - iLife
Upside: Comes on all new macs; voice filters for improved quality; iLife integration;
perfect for podcasts
Downside: Steep (but short) learning curve
Audacity (Mac and Windows compatible) - Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder
download/mac
Upside: Full featured; free
Downside: Complicated; not user-friendly
Note: You will also need to download the LameLib resource file to write files in the
mp3 format.

RECORDER SETTINGS:
Some recorders will let you adjust these settings directly
on the device. For these, it is always better to record at a higher quality then use
your software to save the final file with settings that will result in smaller size. For
those recorders that will not let you adjust these settings directly, you will have to
use your software tools to decrease the final file size. Note: You can always
decrease a file's quality settings without problems, but you cannot increase them
without introducing distortion.
96kbps/44kHz = CD quality for voice, but larger files sizes (i.e., ~25 MB for 30
minutes)
64kbps/22kHz = Decent quality for posting on web ( i.e., smaller file sizes, ~15 MB
for 30 minutes) - iTunes is capable of resizing mp3 files

HOSTING AUDIO FILES ONLINE:
In order for people on the internet to have
access to your podcast or audio recordings, you will need to have your files
"hosted" on the internet. There are a ton of ways to do this, below I have listed a few
of the easiest. As with most things, you will get what you pay for. On the Mac
platform using iWeb, .Mac, and GarageBand, you can create, edit, upload, and host
a podcast on your own web page rather seamlessly (though you'll pay a premium
for it).
1. The general process for hosting a file looks like this: You upload the file to your
host provider (following whatever instructions they provide), then you link to that
files location from your podcast or web page. Every host provider has different
instructions on how to do this, so you may need to contact their technical support.
2. Host providers... there are (ahem) a host of these. There are some free services
out there, but I cannot vouch for them. Here are some of the most reliable pay
services (though some have options for free accounts):
MobileMe the .Mac service from Apple (really only useful for Mac users)
http://www.mediamax.com (this is what I'm currently using, for what it's worth)
Box.net - Online File Storage, Internet File Sharing, Online Storage, Access Documents & Files Anywhere, Backup Data, Send Files (I've been tempted to switch to this service)
Some universities also provide web space for recognized student orgainzations
3. Podcast directories: In addition to posting links directly on your own web site, you
can add your podcast to online directories. These services do not host your files (to
my knowledge), but you can post links to your audio files from these sites. You will
have to consult their documentation for more information.
Odeo: Search, Discover and Share Digital Media from Millions of Audio and Video Clips
Apple - iTunes - What’s on iTunes? - Podcasts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back