Mstislav Rostropovich

Status
Not open for further replies.
My graduate school advisor knew Slava Rostropovich personally, having met him many years ago in Russia. I never got to meet him, but I do have to say his recording of the Bach sonatas is by far my favorite interpretation of those beautiful pieces.

One of the most beautiful performances I've ever heard was a 1976 performance by Rostropovich and Horowitz of the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata's second movement. It was at Carnagie Hall and it was a replacement for a soprano who backed out at the last minute. Their collaboration still leaves me with hushed awe at the intimate beauty. He will be missed.

When I was in High School I saw him play Dvorak with the Phoenix Symphony. Amazing! Two friends and I met him backstage and he asked us "Did you enjoy it? Did I do well?" in the most genuine way. We we're, of course, blown away by the performance and then his humility. And then he said thank you and kissed each of us on the cheek.

I have his recordings of Beethoven's triple concerto and Brahms Double Concerto. I will say that he had an aggressive style.

My graduate school advisor knew Slava Rostropovich personally, having met him many years ago in Russia. I never got to meet him, but I do have to say his recording of the Bach sonatas is by far my favorite interpretation of those beautiful pieces.

Even better than Casals?

I have his recordings of Beethoven's triple concerto and Brahms Double Concerto. I will say that he had an aggressive style.

I have his world premiere recording of Shostakovich's first cello concerto with, on the same disc, David Oistrakh's world premiere recording of Shostakovich's first violin concerto. An amazing disc with two amazing performers.

Even better than Casals?

In my opinion, yes; Rostropovich has an expressiveness (really, a 'singing') in those recordings that I've not heard others (including Casals) match. It's kind of hard to describe, I guess - somewhat like Glenn Gould's Goldbergs vs. any others' recording of the same.

In my opinion, yes; Rostropovich has an expressiveness (really, a 'singing') in those recordings that I've not heard others (including Casals) match. It's kind of hard to describe, I guess - somewhat like Glenn Gould's Goldbergs vs. any others' recording of the same.

It's that "Russian" thing. Horowitz had it.

Though I'm not very familiar with classical music I must say that the Bach piece by Rostropovich was fantastic. Because of the acoustics I at first thought there were several musicians playing with him.

Thanks for the information and link. This was excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back