Murmured change coming for the PCA B of CO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Bushey

Puritanboard Commissioner
On the heels of this portion of a previous thread from 2008:

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/pca-general-assembly-in-dallas.33842/page-5#post-420757

I am told, 'through a grapevine' of sorts, that the PCA BCO is being amended to include language such as 'commissioning' for the Women in the Church as assists to the Deacon's. Is anyone from the PCA aware of this amendment? I don't know, but if I am understanding what I was told, these women will most likely have the title of (d)eaconess.

In my previous PCA church, they had already implemented an official 'commissioning' of the WIC officers-yes, they called them 'officers'. It was held during the worship service, after the call and before the benediction. But apparently, it is becoming official.

We all are aware that the RPCNA has in it's confession or testimony the allowance for women Deacons-though, I am told, most often, that the practice is not used anywhere in the RP churches. One wonders why they leave the portion in there-possibly egalitarianism.

Anyone have any feedback on this? Is it true?

Some of the denomination's congregations install deaconess during worship using the same language as officers.

Last edited:
Some of the denomination's congregations install deacons during worship using the same language as officers.

In the PCA, deacons are officers. And the ordination language is almost the same as used for REs.

I just checked - OPC ordains its Deacons as well. OPC BCO Chapter 25.

While both the PCA and OPC under the supervision of the Elders, the PCA BCO seems to give a bit broader scope of duty and somewhat more autonomy.

We all are aware that the RPCNA has in it's confession or testimony the allowance for women Deacons-though, I am told, most often, that the practice is not used anywhere in the RP churches. One wonders why they leave the portion in there-possibly egalitarianism.

Anyone have any feedback on this? Is it true?

I'm aware of at least one RPCNA female deacon, on a board with five men. It's not a completely dead practice, but it definitely is rare.

I'm aware of at least one RPCNA female deacon, on a board with five men. It's not a completely dead practice, but it definitely is rare.

Having attended and provided stated pulpit supply in an RPCNA church from Jan. 2016 to Dec. 2017, its not as rare you think. The denomination is divided, and it seems the liberals are the greater weight, having heard the complaints from the more conservative bunch. In mission works they are pressing the congregations to consider women for deacons.

Their Covenanted Testimony takes precedence, which means even if you disagree with women in office, you don't get to preach against it or teach contrary to it (having witnessed first hand the mission church interviewing pastoral candidates asking them that specific question in front of RPCNA oversight elders). Being accepted by the RPCNA as a minister is a 50/50 shot (their elders' words), if you disagree with women in office. It all depends on who shows up to your candidacy meeting and who votes, and what presbytery you apply to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back