Musculus on the prelapsarian covenant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Bultitude

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been reading chapter one of the Marrow of Modern Divinity and I'm noticing that Musculus (I assume Wolfgang Musculus?) is quoted frequently. Here are the four points, from sections 1 and 3, where Evangelista quotes Musculus:
Section 1
The law of works, opposed to the law of faith, (Rom 3:27), holds forth as much as the covenant of works; for it is manifest, says Musculus, that the word which signifies covenant, or bargain, is put for law: so that you see the law of works is as much as to say, the covenant of works; the which covenant the Lord made with all mankind in Adam before his fall; the sum whereof was, "Do this, and thou shalt live," (Lev 18:5); "and if thou do it not, thou shalt die the death," (Gen 2:17). In which covenant there was contained first a precept, "Do this"; secondly a promise joined unto it, "If thou do it thou shalt live"; thirdly, a like threatening, "If thou do it not, thou shalt die the death." Imagine, says Musculus, that God had said to Adam, Lo, to the intent that thou mayest live, I have given thee liberty to eat, and have given thee abundantly to eat: let all the fruits of paradise be in thy power, one tree excepted, which see thou touch not, for that I keep to mine own authority: the same is "the tree of knowledge of good and evil"; if thou touch it, the meat thereof shall not be life, but death.
Section 3
All mankind by the fall of Adam received a twofold damage: First, A deprivation of all original goodness. Secondly, An habitual natural proneness to all kind of wickedness. For the image of God, after which they were created, was forthwith blotted out; and in place of wisdom, righteousness, and true holiness, came blindness, uncleanness, falsehood, and injustice. The very truth is, our whole nature was thereby corrupted, defiled, deformed, depraved, infected, made infirm, frail, malignant, full of venom, contrary to God; yea, enemies and rebels unto him. So that, says Luther, this is the title we have received from Adam: in this one thing we may glory, and in nothing else at all; namely, that every infant that is born into this world, is wholly in the power of sin, death, Satan, hell, and everlasting damnation. Nay, says Musculus, "The whirlpool of man's sin in paradise is bottomless and unsearchable."

[Adam broke the tenth commandment because] he coveted an evil covetousness, like Amnon, which cost him his life, (2 Sam 13), and all his progeny. Now, whosoever considers what a nest of evils here were committed at one blow, must needs, with Musculus, see our case to be such, that we are compelled every way to commend the justice of God, and to condemn the sin of our first parents, saying, concerning all mankind, as the prophet Hosea does concerning Israel, "O Israel, thou hast destroyed thyself," (Hosea 3:9).
Musculus seems like a very insightful writer. Can anyone give me more information on what work is being cited here by Fisher? Is it available in English?

It appears only one of his many works has been translated into English, but it is his major systematic theology, Common Places of the Christian Religion* (Loci communes sacrae theologiae). Not sure if that's the work in view, but a quick search reveals it does address the general topics noted above, though keep in mind the quotes are likely paraphrased. The Elizabethan English and blackletter font (the inventor of which should have been hung...) will probably make it a bit challenging to read...

*edited the link as the first did not display as intended

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back