Music and the Virgin Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyCalvinist

Puritan Board Junior
This is a weird question but I have neve seen it addressed anywhere. The question is: What do you think of music that is about or addressed to the Virgin Mary? I love the music of Hildegard von Bingen but some of her music is about the Virgin Mary and I wonder if I can, in good conscience as a Protestant, list to it. What sayeth thee?

I don't have any difficulty with enjoying an occasional Stabat Mater or what have you. Clearly there is a real sense in which one cannot join in - one can't mean ora pro nobis as addressed to any deceased Christian. And clearly if one is tempted to a veneration of Mary such things would be most prudently avoided. But as I don't consider myself to be participating when I read Anselm or Bernard extolling Mary in prayer, even though Bernard can be read for pleasure and profit and not merely for information; so I don't consider myself to be participating if I hear an Ave Maria - not even if I like the music, which is the certainly the case at times.

I agree with Ruben. I like Ryba's "Christmas Mass" - but it doesn't have any eligious meaning fo me.

about or addressed to the Virgin Mary?

I would consider the two things of a different order. I don't see a significant problem with 'about'.

'To' is a whole other kettle of fish. Or perhaps a whole other kettle of fish on a Friday.

It's different for some of us ex-cradle Catholics. "Ave Maria" is the "Hail Mary" prayer in Latin and I often have an involuntary nauseous episode when I'm someplace and I hear it. There is a tune (forget what it is in the Scottish Psalmody, but it's there) that some EP'ers use for a psalm, but to me, almost 40 years in the RCC and much of that, pre-Vatican II, the tune is "Salve Regina" ("Save us, Queen") and I usually can't bring myself to sing it. OTOH, I kind of like the black spiritual, "Mary, Did You Know?" It's more of a hypothetical than it is an actual prayer to a dead person, and it does refer to Jesus as being the Great I AM and to Mary as needing salvation herself. This is much better than the Marian litanies we were forced to recite when I was in grade school, which were done in a monotone, referred to Mary as the queen of heaven and co-redemptrix, lasted hours and accompanied the Ten First Saturdays... Those were execrable.

Sadly, it is not just Hildegard Von Bingem; but most Gregorian chants include an inappropriate Marian element. I can appreciate the aesthetics of this genre of music only if I do not translate it in my mind.

It's different for some of us ex-cradle Catholics. "Ave Maria" is the "Hail Mary" prayer in Latin and I often have an involuntary nauseous episode when I'm someplace and I hear it. There is a tune (forget what it is in the Scottish Psalmody, but it's there) that some EP'ers use for a psalm, but to me, almost 40 years in the RCC and much of that, pre-Vatican II, the tune is "Salve Regina" ("Save us, Queen") and I usually can't bring myself to sing it. OTOH, I kind of like the black spiritual, "Mary, Did You Know?" It's more of a hypothetical than it is an actual prayer to a dead person, and it does refer to Jesus as being the Great I AM and to Mary as needing salvation herself. This is much better than the Marian litanies we were forced to recite when I was in grade school, which were done in a monotone, referred to Mary as the queen of heaven and co-redemptrix, lasted hours and accompanied the Ten First Saturdays... Those were execrable.

Yes, though my mother was never Catholic, she grew up in the Philippines and can't stand to hear any Ave Maria because of those early association. "Mary, Did You Know" is fine, though - especially if Kathleen Battle sings it!

Thanks to everyone who took time to reply. While I would never buy a musical work of LadyMass, which is to the Virgin Mary, I did decide to donwload some music of Hildegard von Bingen. I have never been Catholic so listening to it does not bring back any painful memories. But also, since it is in Latin, I do no know what is being said - for all I know they could reading from a phone book - and it in no way makes me want to worship/venerate/adore the Virgin Mary.

Indeed, it does quite the opposite. I was listening to some of her music the other night and for a moment I did not care about the world or my possessions, all I wanted was God.

So, that music has nothing to do with Roman Catholicism then?
It is Roman Catholic liturgical music. It can be appreciated for its aesthetics; just as Bach's choral music can be appreciated. Roman Catholics who appreciate Bach have not suddenly become Lutheran by such appreciation.

Hello Thomas. Is it based on their beliefs surrounding Mary? I find it hard to disassociate the two if it is. Meaning that if it was specifically written with regards to their beliefs and teachings on Mary.
I would find it impossible to listen to if it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back