Music Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

FivePointSpurgeonist

Puritan Board Freshman
I like a very broad spectrum of music so I’m looking for any music recommendations of any genre that has solid Christian lyrics. I’m keen to check out everything that is recommended.

Nathan Clark George
Norton Hall Band
Poor Bishop Hooper
20schemes music
Michael Card
Sandra McCracken
Keith Green
….to name a few I like.

Broad enough for ska? The OC Supertones have some great lyrics.
Derek Webb's first album She Must and Shall Go Free has good lyrics, a bit folky (he apostatized later)

Speaking of broad spectrum, when I was superficial and less Biblically refined, I loved Christian metal but it is so often vapid that I bailed on all bands,... except Theocracy. They are obviously Reformed and is the only metal band I know of that is worth my time.

Now I am getting into Keith Green here myself.

I don't listen to much Christian music, mostly instrumental music.

When I do, it is the following:

Shai Linne
Hazakim
Andrew Peterson
Rivers and Robots

My co-worker used to work at a record label. He listens to a lot of solid Christian music. I can get some recommendations from him later.

Shai Linne
Hazakim
Andrew Peterson
Rivers and Robots

My co-worker used to work at a record label. He listens to a lot of solid Christian music. I can get some recommendations from him later.
Shai Linne?!?!?!? I have three of his CD’s.

Can't go wrong with Bach!

I know that Dr. Sproul has two albums (Glory to the Holy One-and- Saints of Zion).

If you are looking for old time gospel and will exercise discernment, Johnny Cash, Josh Turner, and Red Foley.

Other names:
The Hymn Writers albums
Gold City
CityAlight
The Gettys
Matthew David Montgomery
Nathan Clark George

If you have Spotify, you can look up "Trinity Hymnal" and a playlist with almost all the pieces from the hymnal shows up.

I know that Dr. Sproul has two albums (Glory to the Holy One-and- Saints of Zion).

If you are looking for old time gospel and will exercise discernment, Johnny Cash, Josh Turner, and Red Foley.

Other names:
The Hymn Writers albums
Gold City
CityAlight
The Gettys
Matthew David Montgomery
Nathan Clark George

If you have Spotify, you can look up "Trinity Hymnal" and a playlist with almost all the pieces from the hymnal shows up.
I will second Bach.

I like Rachmaninov's Vespers and Piano Concerto no. 2, Dvorak's Biblical Songs and Requiem, the Sibelius Tone Poems and Symphony no. 4.
From Bach I like the contrapunctal works the best, like the suite for harpsichord and viola da gamba, bwv 1027-1029. I want to like the sacred works, but when I listen to them they feel a little slow, to be honest. Like one has to listen to a couple hours of German cantata to get to an interesting melody.

Do you have a source on this?
Numerous appearances with the gospel coalition:

Also, his book:

I guess it would be more fair at this point to say he is "wokish". I will grant that he has not gone completely off the deep end like many other Christian Hip Hop artists (see LaCrae).

Thank you for challenging me on this point.

I suppose one thing that will shine a lot of light on whether he is woke or not will come when his next album releases "Lyrical Theology 3: Sociology"

I like a very broad spectrum of music so I’m looking for any music recommendations of any genre that has solid Christian lyrics. I’m keen to check out everything that is recommended.

Hi Nathan,

I have a favorite Band. An Irish group called Rend Collective. The Spotify playlist link has 10 of their songs. They're only brief samples, but if you open in Spotify you can hear the full versions. Below are a few of my favorites and why.

I Will Be Undignified – This is the first song I heard by R.C. I knew they were different they sang about an incident in David's life that few understand, and an embarrassment to others, and sing as they meant it.​
You Are My Vision – (The correcting the "Be Thou My Vision," words we are used to. They are an Irish band singing this Irish song.)​
Too Much – I always cry my way through that one.​
Above Everything Else – Finally, my all-time favorite. This simple song has become a kind of the theme of my life. Make sure you read the lyrics to all four.​
Unfortunately he has gone woke. He was very good.
PS - There's nothing "woke" about these guys and gals.

Yes. I love Theocracy. The Gift Of Music is one of my favorites. Still waiting on the new album. I think it's supposed to be out this year. We'll see. Did you listen to the side band stuff with Project Aegis? Only three songs. But they're amazing.
Speaking of broad spectrum, when I was superficial and less Biblically refined, I loved Christian metal but it is so often vapid that I bailed on all bands,... except Theocracy. They are obviously Reformed and is the only metal band I know of that is worth my time.

Now I am getting into Keith Green here myself

Bach's St. Matthew Passion
Handel's Israel in Egypt & Messiah
Mendelssohn's Elijah
Sacred music by Allegri, Charpentier, Montiverdi, Palestrina & Thomas Tallis

Yes. I love Theocracy. The Gift Of Music is one of my favorites. Still waiting on the new album. I think it's supposed to be out this year. We'll see. Did you listen to the side band stuff with Project Aegis? Only three songs. But they're amazing.

Yeah I youtubed the Project Aegis stuff. I liked it enough but I am excited to see Matt post on FB that the new album is officially recorded and in post-production. Thanks; I was hoping I was not alone here hahaha

You ought to check out Luther’s Hammer :)

I second Sons of Korah; they are my favorite Christian band. I also like Third Day and Rich Mullins. Have you listened to any psalms? I have a number of them and really enjoy them.

Alessandro Scarlatti's La Santissima Trinita has some very good words.

The Psalm Project albums are pretty good. There are four full albums plus some singles available for streaming. Also John Cooper said in an interview with James White that Skillet's music has always been postmillenial themed. I don't know if that interests you.

A personal favorite of mine is Nathan Drake with reawaken hymns.

I’m keen to check out everything that is recommended.
Here's another one.
The song's not a heavyweight of theological precision, but the refrain always makes me cry and yearn for more love for my Lord and God. He knows I love him, but it's tough to say it because of what I am. Oh, how little I have changed after the enormous amount of love and grace and mercy and patience our great God has showered on me for my whole life. How I want to love Him. I guess that sums up my greatest desire in life. I may not love him as I should, but I can look up at Him and honestly say,

"Lord, You are my one true love, and there are no close seconds. And I know that one day I will love You even as I am loved. All praise and glory to You, my great God and Savior. 'Unto God that performeth all things for me.'" (Psalm 57:2)

Nathan Clark George
Norton Hall Band
Poor Bishop Hooper
20schemes music
Michael Card
Sandra McCracken
Keith Green
….to name a few I like.
Thanks, some I recognise, others I'll check out!

Broad enough for ska? The OC Supertones have some great lyrics.
Derek Webb's first album She Must and Shall Go Free has good lyrics, a bit folky (he apostatized later)
Out of the many genres I like, Ska and Punk are near the bottom :p
I listened to one or two OC Supertones songs and they we're quite catchy, I just wouldn't be able to listen for very long :)

Theocracy is quite good, there isn't much good Christian metal, Wolves at the Gate are reformed, they're "Metalcore" though.

Shai Linne
Hazakim
Andrew Peterson
Rivers and Robots

I listen to 2 categories of music, Christian, and instrumental. I listen to instrumental partly because that is how my brain is wired, I hear music and melodies over actual words, and because I can listen to lots of good music with a clear conscience, I also don't particularly care for what people have to sing about if it's not Christian.

I mainly listen to instrumental Jazz, Fusion, Funk, Rock, Metal, Classical.

Other names:
The Hymn Writers albums
Gold City
CityAlight
The Gettys
Matthew David Montgomery
Nathan Clark George

Sproul's albums are fantastic, thanks for the reminder to listen to them.

I just checked out a couple songs by Gold City, they were great songs. I'll pass them on to my father, he will love them.

The reason I ask for more Christian music is so that I don't over listen to the Gettys and CityAlight :)

For Christian Hip Hop, Timothy Brindle is still very solid in my opinion.
Love Timothy Brindle, hope he releases another album soon.

Hi Nathan,

I have a favorite Band. An Irish group called Rend Collective. The Spotify playlist link has 10 of their songs. They're only brief samples, but if you open in Spotify you can hear the full versions. Below are a few of my favorites and why.

I Will Be Undignified – This is the first song I heard by R.C. I knew they were different they sang about an incident in David's life that few understand, and an embarrassment to others, and sing as they meant it.​
You Are My Vision – (The correcting the "Be Thou My Vision," words we are used to. They are an Irish band singing this Irish song.)​
Too Much – I always cry my way through that one.​
Above Everything Else – Finally, my all-time favorite. This simple song has become a kind of the theme of my life. Make sure you read the lyrics to all four.​

PS - There's nothing "woke" about these guys and gals.
Thanks Ed, I'm sure I've heard this name before. I just listened to a couple of songs and loved them, my wife and I will enjoy listening to them together. I haven't checked out your suggested songs but will soon :)

Bach's St. Matthew Passion
Handel's Israel in Egypt & Messiah
Mendelssohn's Elijah
Sacred music by Allegri, Charpentier, Montiverdi, Palestrina & Thomas Tallis
Thanks, I'm currently checking out an album "St. Matthew Passion"

Sons of Korah
I second Sons of Korah; they are my favorite Christian band. I also like Third Day and Rich Mullins. Have you listened to any psalms? I have a number of them and really enjoy them.
I got to see Sons of Korah live, they were fantastic!
I'll have to purchase some of their albums since they don't have much on streaming services.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back