Muslims' Rights to Build Mosques?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of them was English, so that's far from anything Scottish! :)

As far as the relationship between the community and the church goes, the majority of people would have been brought up in church, although many have stopped attending and a new generation of children are being brought up not attending church. That said there are still a lot of families in the church.

Due to the fact that many of the non-church goers have family members in church, the community still has a reasonable respect for the church, although this has been damaged by recent church controversies. There is also a small but very vocal Secular Society, who are agitating against the Lord's Day and anything church related. However, in a recent election to the Stornoway Trust, which is a large community owned estate, none of the secular candidates, who stood on a secular card, were elected . Those elected were all church goers and it was reported in the media as "five traditionalists."
Very interesting, thank you.

Where I live in western Canada, I think there may be more churches per capita of any place I know (churches seemingly on every corner, and even across the street from each other), and yet the culture is extremely secular. Granted, a huge percentage of those churches aren't gospel-preaching.

The thought of a place where people still have some respect for the church, and the church is still a part of the cultural fabric is foreign to me.

The only "Christian" culture I see here is gospel-lite, seeker sensitive, doctrine-less "Christianity," with some woman preachers, sinner's prayers, and numerous programs to get "connected" thrown in. But that doesn't leave those churches. The city is still secular to the nth degree. Rainbow crosswalks for crying out loud!

I am not trying to do anything, but did not the Southern states want to keep the institution of slavery alive? , but did not the Southern states want to keep the institution of slavery alive?

This is evidently a topic that has a lot of Historical significance and our younger generation has little knowledge of it as well as our own. There is a lot of historical ignorance here. There were four States that had legal slavery in them during the Civil War here in the States. President Lincoln was not an abolitionist by conviction. He should have been. Robert E. Lee, one of the foremost generals was not a Slave owner during its time and neither was the famous General Thomas Stonewall Jackson who hated it.

The Reformed Presbyterian Church hated it as it was gross sin. Many moved North to voice their opposition in vain in my estimation. They should have stood their ground.

https://rpcnacovenanter.wordpress.com/2014/05/06/negro-slavery-unjustifiable-rev-mcleod-1802/

I live in a Northern State and I hate the idea that Slavery was ever introduced into our lives. My Denomination set out to stop it. It is inherently evil when men look at servitude based upon... We love to think we are better then others and they owe us as animals do. Even indentured slavery recognized the humanity of man and his dignity.

I am not trying to do anything but clarify this problem and the ignorance.||

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back