must a "preacher" be a pastor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rembrandt

Puritan Board Sophomore
In order to be a "preacher" must one first be a pastor? In other words, is being a pastor a requisite to being a "preacher?" Must one be a shepard of souls to preach the gospel? Why?

Rembrandt

Interesting question. I would have to say no, because to preach means, to deliver, to proclaim or to broadcast a message. That would include the Great Commission to preach the Gospel.

Not everyone has the gift of administration to be a shepherd or an overseer, but all of us have a mandate to be a witness, to proclaim the Gospel wherever we are.

how about preaching/teaching the church? elders are definitely overseers. Must one be a pastor or elder?

[quote:87159df0dc][i:87159df0dc]Originally posted by rembrandt[/i:87159df0dc]
how about preaching/teaching the church? elders are definitely overseers. Must one be a pastor or elder? [/quote:87159df0dc]

I don't think so because we have women teaching other women and children in Sunday School classes, yet they cannot be elders or pastors.

However speaking in public worship, they should be either duly ordained or properly licensed by the church.

To spice up the mix - what would we classify George Whitefield? or Farel?

Were they preachers though thye were not elders? (at least for part of the time for Farel.)

[quote:dd05f857af][i:dd05f857af]Originally posted by webmaster[/i:dd05f857af]
To spice up the mix - what would we classify George Whitefield? or Farel?

Were they preachers though they were not elders? (at least for part of the time for Farel.) [/quote:dd05f857af]

Good question. One can say that they were pastors (shepard's) as well as teachers but in a broad sense of the term. Obviously they were not elders in the sense of ruling over a specific body of professing believers. Well then again... I guess in a sense they ruled over people, as many would confide in them and though of them to have authority. Perhaps, one could even say that some of these "preachers" were self-appointed ministers or elders of the Word since they did not belong to a specific eldership?

JWJ

Couldn't we consider Whitefield a type of "evangelist?"

I have another question, how do preaching and teaching differ? It seems that preaching is teaching. But the difference is that it is (what was said above) the apostolic proclamation of the gospel (kerygma). And that it is teaching specifically applied to lives with all authority. Comments?

Rembrandt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back