My 7 year old daughter wants to dye her hair blond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect this may have something to do with why a 7-year old would want to dye their hair blonde.

as-hannah-montana.jpg
Just wanted to clarify I do not let her watch hanna montana!

In addition to the chemicals damaging the hair, it is also not good for the brain (yes, I know that sounds crazy). It is best to stay away from artifical stuff on the head. If your daughter wants to lighen her hair, she can do what I and my sisters did, we put lemon juice in our hair. It did no damage, and added a nice shine. We also used to put a raw egg on our hair for conditioning, and tea if we wanted it to be a bit darker. It really didn't change the color, but it did give the hair a nice shine.

Really? Those things work? I've heard about mayonnaise and coconut oil but never lemon juice. I may have to try that. And I love the Lord too!

Jwright, perhaps your daughter just wants to play dress up? Get her a wig and perhaps that will satisfy her curiosity.

I'll try to post a picture of her in a blond wig!

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Heres blond.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...48806511362_1565450201_30543573_3832922_n.jpg

Heres regular.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...86987637203_1303670940_30472477_3499281_n.jpg

(I dye my hair. I love the ways of the Lord.)

Is she trying to look older? cooler? prettier? I would want to address the heart issue.

I totally agree. I will rather look at this issue from the perspective of 'motive.' This is a great moment of ministry to a 7-year old girl. Perhaps she just wants it for fun. Perhaps she does not like her hair color and thinks blondie is more attractive. I think God creates us in different forms and in different shapes according to his sovereign will. What is more important is that God creates us in His own image. That counts more than your shape or color of your hair or even your general appearance.

There are dyes you can buy at a beauty supply shop that are short acting (check with her mom and school before doing this: there may be a dress code issue). They are usually bright colored or get her a wig. Little girls love to playact and this may be one more way of doing this.

Cute pics, Jwright! Wigs are great things! When I was her age, I wanted to be, Ariel the little mermaid, when I grew up. So naturally, the first step was to have red hair. My mom got me a red wig to satisfy my curiosity. Little tiny Asian girls don't belong in bright red wigs. And so ended my dreams of becoming a mermaid.

The rule with our daughter is that once she hits puberty, she will be allowed to decide for herself about such things as dying hair, makeup, piercings, etc. It helps her to know the day is coming when she'll be able to do that, and she's accepted the rule as reasonable.

Sorry, but there's no way. A 13-year-old deciding about makeup, what color hair, etc. is (In my humble opinion) unwise.

Well, it is good for a young lady (but not a young man) to recognize that there is something special about her (his) hair:

1Co 11:15 But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.

If you decide against dying hair, perhaps because of this verse (I am not saying either way, because I haven't thought about it):

1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

...then at least you can in some other way encourage a Biblical view that a woman's hair is beautiful and special.

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

So, it sounds like you have a good opportunity here to encourage your daughter with the deeper principle.

A very lovely post Tim! I appreciate you going to the Scriptures for your answer.

Yes, the lemon juice on the hair really did work. I think it what it did was strip the soap build up and the citric acid made it more easy for the hair to lighten when we went out in the sun.

We wanted to dye our hair and get our ears pierced when I was a teen, and my father's response was this: "I'm responsible for what happens to you until you're 18, and I'm not going to be responsible for holes in your ears or damage from hair dye. When you're 18, I'll not say thing anything."

On my 18th birthday, I pierced my ears, and my father said nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back