"My brethren"- qualifier or address?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarieP

Puritan Board Senior
Jesus' answer to the righteous:

"And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.'"- Matthew 25:40

Jesus' answer to the cursed:

"Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’"- Matthew 25:45

I've always thought Jesus' phrase "My brethren" was a qualifier for "the least of these." But recently someone told me they thought Jesus was addressing the righteous with the phrase "My brethren." He does not use the term "My brethren" in His reply to the cursed, so this lends some credibility to what this person was saying.

Paul says in Galatians 6:10. "Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith." So the issue isn't whether or not we're commanded to do good to all. The issue is whether or not we get that teaching from Matthew 25.

I think My brethren means the righteous as seen in Jesus' words:

Mark 3:34-35
And he looked round about on them which sat about him, and said, Behold my mother and my brethren!
For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.

I've always read it the same way you did, Marie, as describing those "least" to whom Jesus refers. But I think you ask a good question. To read it as Jesus addressing the righteous makes a lot of sense.

The question of which it the correct reading would seem to have practical implications in our acts of mercy, would it not? Is Christ primarily looking for acts of mercy toward believers, or toward all people who are among the "least"?

I've been thinking about the same thing regarding works of mercy. It does seem like there is a difference when assisting those in the covenant community. I've also been wondering about the church assisting people as opposed to individuals assisting them. We are part of the church, and would as Christians help others in the name of Christ, but does that represent the church? Is an individual in a better position to help in a way that might be considered "social gospel" if the church were to launch a specific program to do the same thing?

The question of which it the correct reading would seem to have practical implications in our acts of mercy, would it not? Is Christ primarily looking for acts of mercy toward believers, or toward all people who are among the "least"?

I think it would!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back